No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A
    Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
    Very true. I don't know if you've caught the recent CD release of The Dragon of Wantley, with text by Henry Carey (poet/composer of 'Sally in Our Alley', and - possibly - words and tune of 'God Save the King')? It's a very funny text indeed, and Lampe's excellent music nails many features of Handelian opera, not least the famous on- and off-stage rivalry of Cuzzoni and Bordoni, 'the rival queens'. Lampe was Handel's bassoonist, and apparently the man himself loved The Dragon..., going to see and hear it more than once during its successful run.

It's a genuine and genial English comic masterpiece, mocking opera yet revelling in it as well. Highly recommended!
    Thanks will have a listen . Handel opera - on stage punch ups , offstage punch ups , castrati and more gender bending than Shakespeare. Makes a bit of booing look like a Vicar’s musical soirée..

Comment

To be broadcast on 3/12/22 at 18.30 on Opera on 3
      Donald Macleod presents Handel's magical opera from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
        The Glyndbourne production was excellently performed, looked fabulous, but made little sense to me. A tiny bit more coherence wouldn't go amiss.

Saw this last night. My wish was more than answered.

Tremendous production, with some vintage Jones touches. Good singing and acting from all. Notably easy to follow, quite a feat for such a complex story. The inhabitants of Alcina's magic island are in modern dress; outsiders from the 'real world' are Puritans (from Handel's time ... or a modern sect?). By the end order has been restored and Phyllia, Agape and Storge have triumphed. Or have they? Jones more than hints Eros has not completely disappeared. One more performance from this run with only a few expensive seats available or I'd see it again. I hope and imagine it will be revived in two or three years time after The Met have had their turn with the production.

Comment

Richard Jones and others involved in the production talk about it for In The Studio BBC World Service

Comment

Thanks for that link duncan, an interesting programme. It was a standout production in what was an exceptionally strong operatic year. I’m already looking forward to its revival.

Comment

Working...
            X