Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martyn Brabbins has resigned as Music Director. This follows the cuts announced this week to the orchestra.
    The ENO statement is too big to upload but they sound rather cheesed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Martyn Brabbins has resigned as Music Director. This follows the cuts announced this week to the orchestra.
      The ENO statement is too big to upload but they sound rather cheesed off.
      Here’s the crux:

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Here’s the crux:

Thanks Nick , I’ve only seen the ENO riposte. I was only there last Monday for an excellent Peter Grimes. The orchestra got a particularly warm ovation.

Comment

The ENO riposte in postable format -

A statement by the ENO said: “The ENO is surprised that Martyn Brabbins has decided to end his tenure as music director so abruptly.

“As a member of the ENO’s senior leadership, Martyn has been party to all key discussions at all stages and the extremely difficult decisions that have to be made by the Board and Management in constrained financial circumstances.

“After nine months of negotiation with Arts Council England, the ENO has reached a position where we are confident we can maintain a substantial level of operatic work – as opposed to the original reality of total redundancy across the entire company (following Art Council England’s previous decision to remove the ENO as a National Portfolio Organisation in November 2022).

“As recorded in board minutes, an all-staff meeting and in correspondence with management and the board, Martyn agreed that the position reached with Arts Council England in July 2023 provides a workable outcome.

“As the ENO’s musical leader, we are disappointed that Martyn has chosen to resign rather than support the company by engaging with the process of creating a sustainable future for the ENO.”

Comment

Times shareable link (supposedly; the app has changed recently):

Comment

Tourists flock to london and theatre land, moving the eno out of london is bonkers. The eto do well at spreading opera outside of london. The madness of cuts.
              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

A letter from Gardner, Elder, and Pappano is in today's Times:

Operatic tragedy

Sir, We are devastated to hear of the proposed cuts to the chorus and orchestra of English National Opera (News, Oct 14). We should all be clear: if these plans go through, it will lead to the demise of this great company. An opera company is defined by its chorus and orchestra — their passion, expertise and knowledge. ENO is among the best in the world. These groups are built over decades of shared experience. They have collective skills that cannot be resurrected. Many of these highly trained musicians and singers will not be able to continue in their jobs. Anyone who can find alternative employment will. A relocation is apparently planned by 2029. These cuts will put a stranglehold on the artistic future of the company, wherever it is based. Opera should be available to everyone — this is the founding premise of ENO. Under these plans the company will be an empty shell of its former self. Large scale productions, for which ENO is famous, will be impossible. The recent revival of Peter Grimes is an outstanding example. This isn’t levelling up, it is the killing off of the art form. The Arts Council and the industry need to be honest about the effect of these cuts. And we plead with them to reconsider their support or the work of this great company will be irretrievably lost.
                Edward Gardner
                Music director of English National Opera 2006-15
                Sir Mark Elder
                Music director of English National Opera 1979-93
                Sir Antonio Pappano
                Music director, Royal Opera House
                And here's a link to the associated article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0ad8ee84-6c48-11ee-b0f3-053d83492f27?shareToken=e30fcf7b4349fe60a302f4d7af a6395d

And here's Richard Morrison's take in Times2:

Last edited by Pulcinella; 17-10-23, 05:42. Reason: Times2 link added.

Comment

I see the “Director of People “ at ENO emailed out redundancy notices during the final performance of A Handmaid’s Tale.The affected singers and musicians read them and played on . Good for them . As for the management ..words fail me..

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    I see the “Director of People “ at ENO emailed out redundancy notices during the final performance of A Handmaid’s Tale.The affected singers and musicians read them and played on . Good for them . As for the management ..words fail me..
                    Apparently the redundancy notices were emailed to singers and musicians shortly before curtain up, with the result that most of the performers read that they were to be sacked in the interval. Being the professionals they are (unlike ENO's senior management), they continued to give their all in the second half.

It has been reported that the opera's conductor, Joana Carneiro, was horrified when she learned what was taking place, and then astonished that the performance showed no signs whatsoever of the turmoil being inflicted on the performers in real time by ENO's "Director of People".
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

I am puzzled. Is this the implementation of the revised fire and rehire agreement that meant the proposed strike this month was called off? In which case why email out redundancy notices during a performance, or has the DoP still not got her head around the fact that these employees work evenings and weekends? So they won't be sitting at home when they read the email - whether expected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I am puzzled. Is this the implementation of the revised fire and rehire agreement that meant the proposed strike this month was called off? In which case why email out redundancy notices during a performance, or has the DoP still not got her head around the fact that these employees work evenings and weekends? So they won't be sitting at home when they read the email - whether expected or not.

https://slippedisc.com/2024/02/exclu...ing-musicians/
                        It wouldn’t surprise me if the Director of People was completely unaware there was a
                        performance that night. In forty years of broadcasting I only very rarely saw any one from HR at work at weekends , on earlies, lates , in a studio , or on location. But boy could they do meetings.

Comment

Working...
                        X