Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Radio 3 in general

Anyone else becoming bored or annoyed by the shift away from classical music and the embracing, plugging and increasing amount of jazz, folk music and crossovers into other genres? Feels like there’s a concerted effort underway to “broaden” or pull back from more “traditional” classical music.

Originally posted by Jamesay6 View Post
    Anyone else becoming bored or annoyed by the shift away from classical music and the embracing, plugging and increasing amount of jazz, folk music and crossovers into other genres? Feels like there’s a concerted effort underway to “broaden” or pull back from more “traditional” classical music.
    Hello James - I guess you mean Radio 3 rather than (TV) BBC 3? You will find copious threads touching on those very points - some members will agree with you, others - may not. Best to dive in and see if there's a board or programme you would like to be more specific about
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, James. As ff has said there are plenty of discussions on the forum regarding the things you're concerned about. A good thread to start with is forum member suffolkcoastal's annual survey of classical music on R3:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesay6 View Post
        YES very annoyed
        ! It's been happening for a long time but the rate has increased of late. Also way to much chatter from "presenters" who sound like gabbling school girls.
        I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

Don Giovanni - SCO/Mackerras 27.1.24

This was beautifully sung and played last night under Mackerras - but without an audience there was something missing for me in the performance. Not just the absence of applause, but perhaps that magic that happens in the theatre 'twixt cast and audience.
          Edit: there's no Don Giovanni thread, so I chose this as the best option to post on.
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 28-01-24, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Don Giovanni - SCO/Mackerras 27.1.24

This was beautifully sung and played last night under Mackerras - but without an audience there was something missing for me in the performance. Not just the absence of applause, but perhaps that magic that happens in the theatre 'twixt cast and audience.
            Edit: there's no Don Giovanni thread, so I chose this as the best option to post on.
            A Night at the Opera, maybe, rather than a gripe about R3 in general? Interesting. For me, I don't need an audience to add something to a performance. If anything they will intrude when I don't want them to, dispelling the illusion. I want to be inside the opera as it's happening rather than sitting in a seat with hundreds of others. A happening v. a performance?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

As a lifelong lover of studio recording, I agree, and this is what others, e.g. John Culshaw were aiming at: the theatre of the mind. That said . Charles Mackerras was one of the few (Barbirolli and Beecham included) who could create the same intensity in an otherwise empty studio as before a Prom audience.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

A Night at the Opera, maybe, rather than a gripe about R3 in general? Interesting.
                In the absence of any thread on Don Giovanni that I could find I chose this - though the OP doesn't seem to b about opera at all.

[QUOTE=french frank;n1297299]
                Originally posted by french frank View Post
                For me, I don't need an audience to add something to a performance. If anything they will intrude when I don't want them to, dispelling the illusion. I want to be inside the opera as it's happening rather than sitting in a seat with hundreds of others. A happening v. a performance?
                Well, I think I largely agree; just that, as I said, some extra magic seems to happen for the performers in front of an audience. I sense this quite a lot in TTN performances. (But it could just be me .)

Comment

Agree with original post - though I do like other genres (except Rap). They should be doing more of these things on their other stations in my view. Radio 2 used to have a good amount of classical -that was my introduction. The Pop scene is pretty worthless these days- so Radio 1 needs re-purposing. Local radio is a bland musical desert these days. They really need a good look at their output as a whole. I'd be happy to take the job on in my spare time. Should only take an hour or two to work out over coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Kernow Malc View Post
                    ...I'd be happy to take the job on in my spare time. Should only take an hour or two to work out over coffee.

Comment

Working...
                    X