Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honegger's Jeanne d'Arc au Bücher: Radio 3 Monday 15/5/23

Tonight's In Concert performance, from 7.30pm, in which Maxime Pascal conducts The Salzburg Festival and Children's Choir, the Bavarian Radio Chorus and SWR Symphony Orchestra in this infrequently heard composer's rarely heard oratorio, written as a tribute to a France soon to experience Nazi occupation. This is indeed a rare treat: Honegger rose magnificently to the historic situation in writing one of his most moving and powerful works.

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 15-05-23, 17:29. Reason: It's an oratorio, not, as I originally posted, an opera!

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Tonight's In Concert performance, from 7.30pm, in which Maxime Pascal conducts The Salzburg Festival and Children's Choir, the Bavarian Radio Chorus and SWR Symphony Orchestra in this infrequently heard composer's rarely heard oratorio, written as a tribute to a France soon to experience Nazi occupation. This is indeed a rare treat: Honegger rose magnificently to the historic situation in writing one of his most moving and powerful works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lp2f
    A work to which I was originally introduced by Ozawa'a English language recording with Vera Zorina on CBS LPs.

Comment

It's "bûcher", not "bücher"!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        So it is - my mis-Stake! My eyesight is not as good as it once was!

Comment

Didn’t realise that bûcher can also mean to slog away at book reading ..

Comment

How do you like your stake? In the case of Radio 3's listing for BBC Sounds, there is no stake or bûcher. It's "Honeggers_Joan_of_Arc_from_the_Salzburg_Festi val"

[Hmm. The Forum software seems to have inserted a space between the "i" and "v" of "Festival", and it won't edit out].

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              How do you like your stake? In the case of Radio 3's listing for BBC Sounds, there is no stake or bûcher. It's "Honeggers_Joan_of_Arc_from_the_Salzburg_Festi val"

[Hmm. The Forum software seems to have inserted a space between the "i" and "v" of "Festival", and it won't edit out].
              Just seeing what happens to the space when it's quoted.
              The name Vera Zorina, narrator in your Ozawa version, seemed familiar: a search showed that she's the narrator in Stravinsky's Perséphone (hope that accent works ); perhaps that's not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Just seeing what happens to the space when it's quoted.
                The name Vera Zorina, narrator in your Ozawa version, seemed familiar: a search showed that she's the narrator in Stravinsky's Perséphone (hope that accent works ); perhaps that's not surprising.
                She also recorded Joan of Arc at the Stake earlier, with Ormandy (in mono). My first encounter with her recordings was of Debussy's Chansons de Bilitis (not the Trois Chansons but the Musique de scène with the celesta part reconstructed by Boulez, and Hindemith's Hérodiade de Stéphane Mallarmé

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  She also recorded Joan of Arc at the Stake earlier, with Ormandy (in mono). My first encounter with her recordings was of Debussy's Chansons de Bilitis (not the Trois Chansons but the Musique de scène with the celesta part reconstructed by Boulez, and Hindemith's Hérodiade de Stéphane Mallarmé
                  Hadn't hard of that Hindemith - will look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Hadn't hard of that Hindemith - will look it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X