Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialogues des Carmélites: Glyndebourne

On the curtain’s rise, there’s every indication that the set is not going to change in this production because it has a roof! And it’s a grim prospect, a concrete corridor, steeply raked to give the impression of perspective and depth, and devoid of props. But as the show progresses, this space reveals flexibility and subtle changes, culminating in a remarkable coup de threatre. Barrie Kosky also interleaves sounds, vignettes and pauses that are not in the score. These sometimes work as moments to reflect upon the consequences of the preceding scene, but they also punctuate Poulenc’s technique for cinematic jump-cuts and thereby dissipate the tension a scene has carefully constructed. One was completely upstaged by the appearance of the Glyndebourne bat! Of course the final scene is pure cinema, and is brutal and effectively portrayed. There is also a strange jump in period. We start with costumes identifiable with the French Revolution, and finish with the contemporary. I’m still puzzled by some aspects of this production - I fail to see what they are meant to convey despite having had the time to ponder upon them. So it’s not an unequivocal success in presenting the story.

Where it does succeed is musically, and the acting. Katerina Dalayman as Madame de Croissy has one of the ‘best’ deathbed scenes in all opera, and here invests it with an almost fetishistic eroticism - quite disturbing. Golda Schultz as the new Prioress exudes warmth and a sense of motherly security for the distressed sisters, despite her own terrors - a beautifully moving performance. And Sally Matthews as Blanche undergoes quite a journey, a fine fusion of physical and vocal acting. The Glyndebourne chorus is, as ever, magnificent.

The LPO under Robin Ticciati create those gorgeously perfumed harmonies that are so characteristic of Poulenc, this score really swoons when it lets itself go. Heady stuff.

The production forms Glyndebourne’s visit to the Proms this year, where presumably it will be sans the director’s imposed pauses to the action.

“The production forms Glyndebourne’s visit to the Proms this year, where presumably it will be sans the director’s imposed pauses to the action.”

Hasn’t the director highlighted one of the facets of Poulenc’s score: he, a master of song, writes and thinks in short scenes? His music, generally, is more closely allied with cinematic techniques than the huge paragraphs of Wagner and his followers.

Comment

The Times (RM) praised every aspect - orchestra, wonderful singing/casting etc

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The JSO people must be very well heeled to afford Glyndebourne tickets. I wonder if they’ll target the Proms - a much cheaper option.

Comment

The FT review was more reserved about Sally Mathews in the role of Blanche though overall praised the production.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
              The JSO people must be very well heeled to afford Glyndebourne tickets.
              I just got back from this. They targeted the only opera house I know of that generates (from its wind turbine) more electricity than it consumes, and the one that has the most EV charging points in its car park. And the opera-goers they most inconvenienced were the ones going home by .. train.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                I just got back from this. They targeted the only opera house I know of that generates (from its wind turbine) more electricity than it consumes, and the one that has the most EV charging points in its car park. And the opera-goers they most inconvenienced were the ones going home by .. train.
                That figures. Airhorns and glitter cannons aren't "oil free", and I doubt their printed T-shirts are as green as they could be. The message may be worthwhile but the methods all too often shoot themselves in the foot with such actions as far as I'm concerned. The lack of police action amuses me - an urban venue would have got more action and so publicity on that front, or was it the rural and therefore need for cars that was the focus?
                Extinction Rebellion is another that seems to need "stuff"(fabric costumes(always look like thin polyester to me), paint, dyes, poles and metal fixings) and doesn't always do its research about the targets they pick.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  The lack of police action amuses me.
                  We were told, from the stage before the restart, that Gus Christie had met with the protestors. I won't presume to guess what was said. We were also told that the main cause of the length of the delay was that Robin Ticciati needed time to recover, which I can well believe, having had that air horn blasting just a few feet away. I am not a lawyer, but there would be grounds for a charge of common assault there, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X