X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Ah this talk of HB, makes my memories go back to 1975, when I went to the first ever brads band summer school. I was conducted by Elgar(Gary) Howarth. We played HBs Grimethorpe Aria! What a great piece that is! I enjoyed playing that quite a lot!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      HBs Grimethorpe Aria! What a great piece that is!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Me too!

I think this should go down for inclusion in our wish list!

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

I am afraid that I have never got on with Harrison Birtwistle. I found "Gawain" relentlessly aggressive; and the Mask of Orpheus, I am afraid, is the only opera that I have ever walked out from half-way through. This was a performance at the ENO. I always stick through performances even if I am not enjoying them; but the Mask of Orpheus was just so LOUD that I physically could not stand it any longer. I am afraid that I ducked the Minotaur when it was premiered; but I may give it a try second-time round.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            I am afraid that I have never got on with Harrison Birtwistle. I found "Gawain" relentlessly aggressive; and the Mask of Orpheus, I am afraid, is the only opera that I have ever walked out from half-way through. This was a performance at the ENO. I always stick through performances even if I am not enjoying them; but the Mask of Orpheus was just so LOUD that I physically could not stand it any longer. I am afraid that I ducked the Minotaur when it was premiered; but I may give it a try second-time round.
            If anything, The Minotaur is louder than Mask of Orpheus. I normally love HB's music, but not his operas...

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by David-G View Post

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                Beef is that a for giving Birty another go, or a for finding it one helluva racket?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  Beef is that a for giving Birty another go, or a for finding it one helluva racket?
                  One helluva racket

Comment

• Ergo 125

'The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom' is, with respect, one of Blake's Proverbs of Hell. I don't think "The Tree of Strings" is the road of excess. But then Raasay is a place with a painful history.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Ergo 125 View Post
                      'The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom' is, with respect, one of Blake's Proverbs of Hell. I don't think "The Tree of Strings" is the road of excess. But then Raasay is a place with a painful history.
                      I know what the Blake quote is. It is my 'signature' on all my posts, not specific to any of them.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I played his GA before the premierat the Proms in 1975(I think?).
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I played his GA before the premierat the Proms in 1975(I think?).
                          You think? How can you forget something like that?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            You think? How can you forget something like that?
                            Come on Beef, when you've given so many premieres they all kinda roll into one.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                              Come on Beef, when you've given so many premieres they all kinda roll into one.

Comment

Working...
                              X