X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

FroSch

Something of a treat for Strauss fans this afternoon (and tomorrow) with Christian Thielemann conducting the Vienna Philharmonic in this heavyweight phantasmagorical Freudian allegory. It is Strauss' most ambitious score and contains some stupendous sonic effects. The plot - well, don't bother - it makes the Magic Flute (which could be its model) appear to be an exemplar of clarity and enlightenment, just revel in the ambitious music. The Emperor's solo at the start of Act 2 seems to compress all of Siegfried into about 20 minutes (and contains glorious chamber scoring for the huge orchestra).

I understand that a co-production with La Scala is coming to Covent Garden in 2014.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

A new title on me, so ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jgd5c

I've only seen it once (WNO, I think) and the only memory that lingers is of a magnificent thunderstorm.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
      . . . The plot - well, don't bother - it makes the Magic Flute (which could be its model) appear to be an exemplar of clarity and enlightenment, just revel in the ambitious music. The Emperor's solo at the start of Act 2 . . .
      I saw the opera at Covent Garden some 15 years ago. My mistake trying to keep up with the plot and not concentrating on the music. Strangely enough the Emperor's solo as mentioned by Belgrove is the only thing I remember (sung by Paul Frey), apart from the Hockney stage designs (vaguely remember there was a problem with those). Was listening to Act 1 of the Solti recording only last week which has two very high soprano parts (Amme and Kaiserin) going on a bit too long for my taste.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I shall be keen to hear this: I have "only" the Karajan Live recording, which is stunning, but which, apparently, mucks around with the order of the scenes. (I don't know this for sure - having never seen the score or heard any other recording.)

Thielemann should be good in this repertoire, too.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          I saw the opera at Covent Garden some 15 years ago. My mistake trying to keep up with the plot and not concentrating on the music. Strangely enough the Emperor's solo as mentioned by Belgrove is the only thing I remember (sung by Paul Frey), apart from the Hockney stage designs (vaguely remember there was a problem with those). Was listening to Act 1 of the Solti recording only last week which has two very high soprano parts (Amme and Kaiserin) going on a bit too long for my taste.

I was at that Hockney production, indeed the poster is framed in a room at home. Yes, quite a bit of padding and it's essential not to get bogged down in the ruddy plot (often the case in opera) - then just enjoy some of the sumptuous "good bits". That said, it's probably 10 years since the CDs have been off my shelf (Solti and Bohm)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

At a performance in Zurich, Dame Gwyneth Jones memorably sang both the Dyer's Wife and the Empress!

Gwyneth had been engaged to sing the Dyer's wife, but for one performance the Empress, Agnes Habereder, was unwell. Zurich had been unable to find a replacement until Gwyneth said she was prepared to stand in as they only appear on stage together in one scene.

Gwyneth sang her role on stage and sang the Empress from the wings while Habereder mimed the part on stage. In their scene together Gwyneth simply turned away from the audience to sing the Empress's lines, turning back to the audience for her own.

Both parts are challenging enough, but to sing both in an evening is a phenomenal achievement.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Yes, quite a bit of padding and it's essential not to get bogged down in the ruddy plot (often the case in opera) - then just enjoy some of the sumptuous "good bits". That said, it's probably 10 years since the CDs have been off my shelf (Solti and Bohm)
              je plussoie.*

(Tho' in my case, the CD is Sawallisch... )

* http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/plussoyer

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                je plussoie.*

(Tho' in my case, the CD is Sawallisch... )

* http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/plussoyer
                *wince*

*shudder*

For a neologism, it does have a strange parody mass quality, though...

e.g. Des Prez's recently discovered "Missa Amor me plussoie, doulce amye" .

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

For a neologism, it does have a strange parody mass quality, though...

e.g. Des Prez's recently discovered "Missa Amor me plussoie, doulce amye" .

je replussoie!

I like the thought that it might have an imperfect subjunctive...

"... il aurait fallu que nous plussoyassions!"

La conjugaison du verbe plussoyer au masculin à la voix active avec l'auxiliaire avoir Vérification d'orthographe inactive : je plussoie - tu plussoies - il plussoie - nous plussoyons - vous plussoyez - ils plussoient

Je plussoie : un vieux néologisme ? date d'apparition ? (Page 1) – Histoire de la langue française – forum abclf – Le forum d'ABC de la langue française

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    "... il aurait fallu que nous plussoyassions!"

I'm sure Madame Vinteuil would have had something to say, had we done so...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

I saw it in Edinburgh last year, with the Mariinsky conducted by Gergiev in a production by Jonathan Kent, & very good it was too - wonderfully rich staging, with good use of lighting & projection. Wonderful music too, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X