X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

wagner at tea time it is doing my head in .... fat warblers especially ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      wagner at tea time it is doing my head in .... fat warblers especially ....
      Do as I do, and catch it on the iPlayer later.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I didn't think I would manage it, but I just about got to my seat in front of the radio each day at 4.30. Great experience in lovely FM sound. Good Brunnhilde, but the star was the orchestra! And the final pages were as shattering as ever. Naturally always more so than even the best of 'bleeding chunks' CDs.

I'd be interested to hear the listening figures. It must have taken some nerve to schedule it in such a prominent festive slot.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          I didn't think I would manage it, but I just about got to my seat in front of the radio each day at 4.30. Great experience in lovely FM sound. Good Brunnhilde, but the star was the orchestra! And the final pages were as shattering as ever. Naturally always more so than even the best of 'bleeding chunks' CDs.

I'd be interested to hear the listening figures. It must have taken some nerve to schedule it in such a prominent festive slot.
          I agree with you regarding the orchestra....superb...but Susan Bullock...I really found her very hard to listen to. She seemed to wander all over the place.

(Had a bit of a good afternoon today...Resurrection followed by Götterdämmerung....bliss!)

Comment

• Bert Coules
            • Nov 2010

I said this on the Siegfried thread at the time: having enjoyed her performance in the house I was surprised at the criticism here of Bullock. But I do think that the microphone accentuates the rapid beat in her voice: she sounded much smoother live. One positive thing which does come over the airwaves - and it's something that discussion of her sheer sound has perhaps pushed aside - is that it's an extremely intelligent interpretation, full of nuance and variety.

Bert

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
              ...is that it's an extremely intelligent interpretation, full of nuance and variety.

Bert
              A fair point but would one only see/get the nuance if one was there in person?

Comment

• Bert Coules
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                A fair point but would one only see/get the nuance if one was there in person?
                I don't think so: I saw Siegfried live but was only able to listen to Walküre and Götterdämmerung, and I was extremely impressed with what she did with the texts in those two operas.

Bert

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                  I don't think so: I saw Siegfried live but was only able to listen to Walküre and Götterdämmerung, and I was extremely impressed with what she did with the texts in those two operas.

Bert
                  Listening at home I was surprised at the variability of the singers, sometimes impressed, sometimes disappointed. I think microphone placement is perhaps the reason for this, and also the fact that the singers move relative to them.

Comment

Working...
                  X