Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G&S Gala at Cadogan Hall

Did anyone else go? I was sad to see no evidence of any recording going on...

It was on Sunday afternoon, organised by Raymond Gubbay (gulp), in memory of Philip Langridge and in aid of the mentoring scheme in his name.

Many luminaries offstage as well as on, including John Tusa and George Christie.

There was a great line-up of singers, including Dame Felicity Palmer, James Bowman and Sir John Tomlinson... And not forgetting Richard Suart.

Will post some comments if anyone is interested and/or was also there...

What did James Bowman sing? I don't recall G & S writing for counter-tenors!!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      What did James Bowman sing? I don't recall G & S writing for counter-tenors!!
      I believe that James Bowman sang Sullivan's setting of the Willow Song from Othello in a new orchestral arrangement by the conductor, Richard Balcombe.

Comment

You are quite right, they didn't... so Bowman sang the Willow Song, a composition of Sullivan's for contralto... This was therefore the only novelty, non-G&S item in the gala.

Highlights included John Tom booming out the Sentry's song from The Yeomen of the Guard! Rather ironical in the days of Coalition:

I often think it's comical -
        Fal, lal,- la! Fal, lal,- la!
        How Nature always does contrive -
        Fal, lal,- la! - la!
        That ev'ry boy and ev'ry gal
        That's born into the world alive,
        Is either a little Liberal,
        Or else a little Conservative!

Comment

What a pity there wasn't a CD or even a DVD of this. That would surely have helped the fund you mention.

Comment

Working...
          X