• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Opera on 3 26.2.11 Gluck: Iphigenie en Tauride

18:00–21:30 Opera on 3 Live from the Met

Susan Graham and Placido Domingo in Gluck's Iphigenie en Tauride, based on the Greek myth.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

What's going on? "The Wall", which was due to start at 21:30, according to the online schedule, has just been announced as starting at 21:00. It's bit much if the online schedule can't be kept up to date. Freeview info also gives the start time as 21:30.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

The online Radio Times gives the timing as 9pm-10pm for The Wire (The Wall). But that seems to be the only one (Andrew's schedule had 9.30pm start time too).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Well I guess and hour for The Wall makes some sort of sense. What amateurism to make such a mess of both the online and digital television schedule information though.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

I know I’ll be told off by Bert but I thoroughly enjoy the music (I did read the synopsis but not all that carefully). Come to think of it, do we ever hear Gluck’s work on Radio 3 other than that Blessed Spirit?
          Last edited by doversoul1; 26-02-11, 23:05. Reason: typo

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Well, I listened to most of the Met relay tonight and am still left with questions. Eg, would anyone bother with Gluck if Ferrier hadn't made one aria into a UK Top Ten hit, and if Berlioz and a few others hadn't praised him to the skies?

OK. he reformed opera and is a crucial link in its development from Monte Verdi to Joe Verdi but does anyone except Ms Graham really get that excited about the music?? [Retires behind sofa]

Actually, I do very much like Divinites du Styx a la Janet Baker, but still feel that Mr G belongs more in the history books than on the Met stage
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

OIf course Gluck belongs on the stage - he was writing opera Whether a house as big as the Met is suitable is another matter, but nothing to do with the quality of the music, which is superb, or drama, which is, well, dramatic.

I'd forgotten this was on, but I'd booked for SO's Orlando yonks ago anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X