Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Saturday night is opera night?

I thought that it was announced, not very long ago, that the new R3 schedule would see the regular opera broadcast moved from Saturday to Monday - which I, at least, thought was an end to the Met performances being the only live (or 'recoded live') we heard during the winter. Then we had, last week, Rigoletto recorded at the Met broadcast complete with interval whitterings, & now on Saturday evening we have a live broadcast from there.

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    I thought that it was announced, not very long ago, that the new R3 schedule would see the regular opera broadcast moved from Saturday to Monday - which I, at least, thought was an end to the Met performances being the only live (or 'recoded live') we heard during the winter. Then we had, last week, Rigoletto recorded at the Met broadcast complete with interval whitterings, & now on Saturday evening we have a live broadcast from there.
    Goodness knows why Saturday (or Monday) have to be labelled as 'opera night'. Why does R3 have try and fit itself into a straitjacket? There will be good live opera and concert events to broadcast on any and every day of the week. I'm all for R3 reverting to a much looser format.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Goodness knows why Saturday (or Monday) have to be labelled as 'opera night'. Why does R3 have try and fit itself into a straitjacket? There will be good live opera and concert events to broadcast on any and every day of the week. I'm all for R3 reverting to a much looser format.
      Any day but Saturday please - it interferes with the jazz. So much for a regular Saturday jazz zone!

Comment

I'm all for R3 reverting to a much looser format.
        But it isn't reverting to a looser format, but to the format it had before it announced that it was going to change to a different format.

Comment

But it isn't reverting to a looser format, but to the format it had before it announced that it was going to change to a different format.
          R3 put itself into a straitjacket of its own making by endeavouring to parcel up the day/week into neat time slots, found it doesn't work and have indeed loosened the format. Hence, Parsifal was broadcast last Tuesday. I'm all for greater flexibility.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Why does R3 have try and fit itself into a straitjacket? There will be good live opera and concert events to broadcast on any and every day of the week. I'm all for R3 reverting to a much looser format.
            Yes, up to a point, but many of us wage-slaves have a far better chance of listening to a lengthy opera on Saturdays...

...as long as they're over by c10.25 for Match of the Day, of course (Wagner for one had too little consideration for hoi polloi)
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Looking at the schedules for the next couple of weeks we have Midsummer Night's Dream (Met mat) next Saturday, & Rape of Lucretia from Glyndebourne (presumably a recording) on the 29th. And for Christmas week evenings it's the Barrenboim Ring from the Proms (except for Christmas day, when it's Holywood).

Comment

Looking at the schedules for the next couple of weeks we have Midsummer Night's Dream (Met mat) next Saturday, & Rape of Lucretia from Glyndebourne (presumably a recording) on the 29th. And for Christmas week evenings it's the Barrenboim Ring from the Proms (except for Christmas day, when it's Holywood).
                Holywood - very appropriate for Christmas Day, I would suggest

Comment

I don't think that there won't be a slot that would fit anywhere but then there is always iplayer?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that Opera on 3 from the Met had been cancelled as a cost saving measure .

It with Die Fledermaus is on tonight - the dialogue however is excruciating .

Comment

I seem to remember the actual reason given was to give the jazz fans a break. Taking the live Live from the Met every week meant there would be no control over timings when there was a Wagner opera, or an earlier start for any opera. And that meant disrupting the jazz.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I thought I read somewhere that Opera on 3 from the Met had been cancelled as a cost saving measure .

It with Die Fledermaus is on tonight - the dialogue however is excruciating .
                        I repeat: LEAVE THE JAZZ ALONE!!

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          LEAVE THE JAZZ ALONE!!
                          OG: I always do
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            OG: I always do

Comment

This is becoming perverse. First they change Opera on 3 to mondays, but then it reverts back to saturday including Fledermaus from the Met last week.
                              Now - the upcoming live from the MET "Eugene Onegin" which is being broadcast all around europe live this coming saturday(18th) is BACK to monday 20th on Radio 3.
                              What on earth is going on? Who is responsible for these schedule leap-frogging?
                              I shall be listening on Deutschlandfunk on saturday and to the devil with this nonsense.
                              I enjoy the occasion of a live opera link on a saturday evening. It does not have the same frisson on a monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X