Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Giovanni (ROH)

Just returned from a depressing evening at Covent Garden - the much heralded new production of Don Giovanni, produced by our new Director of Opera.

There was basically a single set - a square two-storey structure, with two staircases, which could rotate and provided a variety of spaces in which the characters could interact. Onto this was projected a set of intricate computer video projections, sometimes static but often changing, and featuring in large part numerous names from Leporello’s catalogue.

There were some good things. There was superb singing from Mariusz Kwiecien (Giovanni), Malin Bystrom (Anna), Veronique Gens (Elvira), and Alexander Tsymbalyuk (the Commendatore). Elizabeth Watts sang well as Zerlina, but somehow lacked the charm which is essential to the character. Alex Esposito was not the strongest Leporello that I have heard; he was quite overshadowed by Don Giovanni. Dawid Kimberg made Masetto seem rather a wimp; this is a common failing among Masettos. When Masetto is a dangerous antagonist to the Don, which this one was not, the whole drama is lifted. Antonio Poli sang well as Ottavio, but did not seem to make much dramatic impression. This is not uncommon with Ottavio - but he was certainly not helped by the producer..

Nicola Luisotti's conducting was stylish, but I often felt that the pace was dragging.

Certain aspects of the production did not follow the usual pattern. Anna seemed uncommonly fond of Giovanni. It was hard to make her character out - I did not even try. Understanding these characters’ motives required thought; but watching and listening to opera requires feeling, and for me, thought is inimical to feeling.

The first act retained my interest to a tolerable extent. The complex finale was choreographed most interestingly through the complex spaces of the rotating structure. But in the second act I progressively lost interest. The ugly graffiti-like eye-dazzling projections went on and on and on, and the structure went round and round and round - and round and round and round… I found that the effect of the all-encompassing projections was to reduce the characters to ciphers, robbing the opera of its drama (and its humour). I would never have believed that Don Giovanni could be so undramatic, and indeed so boring.

The depressing effect of the all-pervading video projections was demonstrated in the opening of Elvira’s aria "Mi Tradi". For some reason, the projections suddenly disappeared, and we were left with a spotlit Elvira on a darkened stage. Suddenly, interest was rekindled, and for a few minutes the scene was intensely dramatic. It was amazing to briefly rediscover the drama in the piece, which had been absent for most of the evening.

It is hardly possible to conceive that the final confrontation could be undramatic, and at last the drama caught light. It could hardly do otherwise, with the superb Kwiecien and Tsymbalyuk. But the drama was all in the voices and in the music. With no "stone guest", and with the ghost and the Don on different stage levels, the stage picture had not a spark of drama.

Extraordinarily, the majority of the final scene was cut, a reversion to the "bad old days" of nineteenth-century opera production. And equally extraordinarily, the continuo accompaniment of the recitatives was often bizarre. I gather it was supposed to be "jokey". It was certainly unmusical and unMozartian. I do not know what the powers-that-be at Covent Garden can be thinking of, to countenance such vandalism. Don Giovanni is not the only example of this; Act 4 of the recent production of Carmen was butchered. The cast list announces: "The edition of Don Giovanni used in these performances is published by Bärenreiter-Verlag Kassel". I think it most unlikely that the final scene that we heard, or indeed the continuo, followed Bärenreiter.

Don Giovanni seems to be a difficult opera to produce really well. But swamping a rotating structure with video projections is certainly not the answer. I came away depressed at having wasted an evening watching this.
    Last edited by David-G; 04-02-14, 02:39.

I was also there this evening, David, but feel very differently about the production and - to some extent - the singing. This wasn't perhaps a Don Giovanni for a newcomer to the opera and, in many ways, Kasper Holten turns the opera on its head. The Don was presented far more sympathetically than usual. His only real victim in this version was Donna Elvira, who was portrayed as less 'pazzo' than some productions, still hopelessly in love. It was the treatment of Donna Anna and Zerlina which intrigued me. Anna was, indeed, a more than willing participant in her tryst with DG until the moment when he kills the Commendatore, when she suddenly cries rape. Zerlina was far more complex than usual - no cutesy peasant girl charmed by the Don, but a manipulative chancer who effectively tries to frame the Don for rape when he has barely touched her. In this respect, I thought Liz Watts acted the role extremely effectively.

Don Ottavio remains one of opera's most boring wimps. It was no great surprise that Anna abandoned him during the second verse of 'Dalla sua pace' to resume her relations with the Don!

I share similar feelings about the set. At first, I thought Holten had recycled his set from Onegin - panelled walls with writing projected across it. The revolving set and video projections were just too frenetic, dizzying in their impact - possibly deliberately so, as it took the audience along with the Don into his mental spiral into breakdown.

Musically, it was a very mixed evening. I agree about Mariusz Kwiecien and Malin Byström, who were superb, but I was disappointed at times by Véronique Gens who was a bit hit-and-miss as Elvira. Alex Esposito's Leporello didn't prove much of a comic foil to Kwiecien's Don and I was underwhelmed by Antonio Poli's effortful Ottavio (perhaps I was recalling Pavol Breslik's far more poetic account last time round). I felt Luisotti paced the score well, but the playing was a bit scrappy - what a scrawny cello solo in 'Batti, batti' - and the byplay between harpsichord and fortepiano in the recitatives was overdone. The cut to the final scene takes its precedence from what Mozart himself presented in Vienna where it seems possible that he took the scissors to the entire scene. I often feel that the scene is hugely anti-climactic, but then I suppose that's the point: life without the Don is going to be far more mundane...

It's late and I'm still cogitating the production, but I found it provocative and engaging... and far better than the previous Zambello production.
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Interesting to read your comments, IGI. I also have to do more cogitating - both on the production and your comments.

Your thoughts on Zerlina are interesting, and you may be right. I hope so, as I would not wish to be disappointed in Elizabeth Watts. I missed the subtleties that you mention - there is so much happening in the Act 1 finale in any case, that my eyes must have been elsewhere on the stage.

You may be right about the final scene being omitted in the Vienna version, though on a quick look I cannot find any reference to this in the Cambridge Opera Handbook on DG. But this was not a production based on the Vienna version. (Incidentally, I believe I am right in saying that the Glyndebourne production is based on the Vienna version, but retains the final scene.) The final scene is only anti-climactic in the sense that it restores everyday life after the crisis. Ending on the Don's descent to Hell makes Don Giovanni a Grand Romantic Opera, which is what the 19th century felt about it. But this turns "Don Giovanni" into something that it is not. To me, the final scene is the essential counterfoil to the great drama of the previous scene. Its omission is like an amputation.

I am glad that you basically agree with me about the projections. For me they ultimately destroyed everything else; you seem not to have been so allergic to them.

Comment

A couple of reviews which highlight some of the pros and cons of the production:

Rupert Christiansen in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...se-review.html (with an interesting comment about the finale from La Cieca, aka James Jorden, opera critic of the New York Post)

David Nice at The Artsdesk (reviewing Monday's performance rather than first night): http://www.theartsdesk.com/opera/don...-royal-opera-0
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I saw this production the other evening at the cinema and thought it depressingly poor.

The set was visually cluttered and forced all the action to a fairly narrow space at the front of the stage. I gathered from the introduction to the performance which we had that it was a representation of DG's mind, with the images of the names of all his conquests imprinted there. That seemed to me pointless and contrary to my understanding of his character which is that he quickly lost interest in his conquests and moved on to the next - it was Leporello's job to retain the list.

The updating of the period to a C19 world of Victorian repression had the effect of making the whole production look duller especially in the peasants' country dance scene (which appeared like a gloomy sing-song in an inn) and the dance finale to Act 1 where most of the people were lounging around in narrow confined areas at different levels of the set. More importantly it lost the then subversive element of feudal power relations whereby the Don had real power over the peasants on his estate. So in this production there was not much difference between the starstruck adoration of DG's supposed social inferiors (the women that is) and that of Donna Anna or the lovelorn Elvira. And the disturbing implications - at least to the contemporary audiences of this opera - of the peasant Masetto and his colleagues fighting back against the nobleman, and indeed peasantry and nobility banding together against another nobleman were quite lost. Anna's seduction at the start was not so much attempted rape or actual rape as a lovers' assignment - and one repeated later in the act as the feeble Ottavio sang Dalla sua pace. Zerlina - horribly arch and charmless here - was not reluctantly seduced in the La ci darem la mano duet as she was clearly instantly and irresistibly attracted. Anna's call for vengeance after the murder of her father seemed quite insincere (and she appeared to send her servant in the opposite direction to allow DG's escape) and her later magnificent aria Or sai che l'onore, a cry of grief and vengeance, was fatally compromised as a result - it just seemed simulated and calculating. It's strange to see a production of today reinterpret one attempted rape as a welcome assignment and a second as a false accusation - not perhaps an interpretation one might see from a female director

Apart from anything else, the overconcentration on the character of DG through which everyone else was reflected diminished the other characters which in the text and music ought to be much stronger than this: Anna, Elvira, Masetto, Zerlina, the Commendatore, Leporello, even Ottavio whose fine arias cannot be taken seriously if he is not. The Don comes across as an irresistible force of nature before which ladies swoon like groupies before a film or pop star. Yet I have seen very different interpretations which present him as a vain braggart - after all it could be argued from the libretto that none of his attempted seductions during the opera is completely successful, they are all interrupted in some way.

Musically I thought the performance was also disappointing, the orchestral playing lacklustre and characterless, the continuo over-fussy. Kwiecien sung wonderfully, Bystrom less so (I thought her diction was flawed especially in Or sai che l'onore where the "ch" in chiedo was pronounced in the English way), Gens a bit shrill and hysterical, Elisabeth Watts singing well but otherwise presenting the character unsatisfactorily, Masetto and Ottavio horribly undercharacterised, the Commendatore a cipher or perhaps figment of DG's imagination. At no time did I feel the musical and dramatic excitement and subversiveness of the score and text, the mockery of aristocratic convention in the way in which the living and the dead exchange dinner invitations, the disturbing opening of the overture with the Commendatore signature music shifting uneasily, the Commendatore's own descent into keylessness with his "Non si pasce di cibo mortale chi si pasce di cibo celeste" (music from another world indeed).

If I had spent a lot of money going to see this at the ROH I would have been pretty angry. But anger is in any case justified at the way in which (public) money is wasted on productions like this when arts organisations in the regions are suffering so badly and are often doing much better work with a fraction of the resources. There was Music Theatre Wales' ambitious and imaginative production of Sciarrino's The Killing Flower last year; English Touring Opera's consistently interesting productions of varied repertoire and indeed Welsh National Opera's work under their fine new music director Lothar Koenigs. And compare the misfortunes of the resource-starved Scottish Opera which could do with some of the ROH's largesse.

I have been to good productions of Don Giovanni, but sadly far more where I have felt that in the finale I wished the Commendatore to drag not just the Don but also the director into the infernal regions. I'm afraid this was one of them
          Last edited by aeolium; 14-02-14, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            I have been to good productions of Don Giovanni, but sadly far more where I have felt that in the finale I wished the Commendatore to drag not just the Don but also the director into the infernal regions. I'm afraid this was one of them
            Yes!! I approve.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              And compare the misfortunes of the resource-starved Scottish Opera which could do with some of the ROH's largesse.
              Who's own production of Don Giovanni this season, directed by Sir Thomas Allen, was pretty poor. Needlessly re-located to Venice, but with little or no 'feel' of Venice (except for a very stagey gondola - which arrived backstage, & then had to reverse off-stage). Some rather strange faceless nuns, who opened the side of a building to reveal the Don lying on his bier. & the Don escaping through his fireplace (with flames) during the party scene (giving a rather obvious forecast of how he was going to hell at the end).

Comment

Has McVicar ever directed Don Giovanni ?

Ah I see at La Monnaie in Belgium. Wonder what it was like - by the sounds of it would not have needed much to surpass the recent RON productions .

Comment

I saw this on Friday and agree with all the reservations noted by aeolium.

I was very disappointed by the production. For me, the decision to set the opera in Don Giovanni's increasingly fractured mind completely undermined all the other characters, and removed all the dramatic impetus from performance. I also found the characterisation of all the women characters to be rather misogynistic. It could, I suppose, be argued that this reflected Don G's view of the women, but this isn't really good enough. For example, both Anna and Zerlina are shown as willing partners who then cry rape when found out. Anna is also shown joining the Don for another tryst during Dalla sua pace, despite knowing that he is her father's murderer. Although it may subvert the audiences expectations, it is contrary to the way in which both characters are developed musically.

I also thought the conducting (and especially the continuo) very poor. The singing was mostly OK, but not good enough to compensate for the deficiencies elsewhere. The video effects were expertly managed, but largely pointless. Mind you, without the projections, the grey set would have been even duller than it was.

I think I could see what Holten was getting at, it's just that his decisions denuded the piece of any drama (or indeed comedy) and left us with quite a dull evening.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Broadcast on R3 next Monday, 3rd March

Comment

BBC4 7pm Sunday 27 April

Mozart's Don Giovanni, a depiction of the last day and night of the iconic seducer.

[+ BBC2 documentary on Saturday]

Comment

Interestingly, I have not heard this being plugged on R3 so far. Internal politics?

Comment

Working...
                        X