Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lobet den Herrn on Saturday Breakfast

I was a bit puzzled by Martin Handley's prefatory remarks about this piece (performed beautifully by Herreveghe and his lot). He described it as a funeral motet. Uh? I've sung the thing for 50 years...not continuously, obviously...and have never heard the joyful Psalm 117 referred to in a funereal context. Can anyone explain?

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I was a bit puzzled by Martin Handley's prefatory remarks about this piece (performed beautifully by Herreveghe and his lot). He described it as a funeral motet. Uh? I've sung the thing for 50 years...not continuously, obviously...and have never heard the joyful Psalm 117 referred to in a funereal context. Can anyone explain?
    I think I have read that some of Bach's motets were likely to have been composed as occasional pieces for funerals, so perhaps MH was referring to this general belief? However, Lobet is not even clearly authenticated as being by JSB, and I agree that it seems an unlikely text to set for a funeral.

Comment

Lobet is not even clearly authenticated as being by JSB
      Yes I've heard that...but anyone who has sung/played JSB will find it difficult to imagine who else might have written it.

Comment

Working...
      X