X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penn Igor
    • Jun 2024

Derek Bourgeois blacklisted???

A few weeks ago, at the request of a listener, Breakfast played the Serenade by Derek Bourgeois, as part of the programmes Best of British list. However, I notice the entry on the list has been removed? Have asked the prog why, but so far have had no response. Anyone any theory as to why it has been removed. Has the composer been blacklisted maybe? If so, why I wonder.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

If he'd been blacklisted, I don't suppose the piece would have been played in the first place. It's still listed on the playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04prpbq which was only a few days ago (followed by the theme music for The Vicar of Dibley, I see). Did they play it a few weeks ago as well? And was it actually removed from the BoB list, or has it not been added?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Any outing for Derek's music seems exceptionally rare on Radio 3.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Any outing for Derek's music seems exceptionally rare on Radio 3.
        Any outing for anybody's music is nowadays rare on Radio 3 unless it's on the shortlist.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

...... so what was the date of the removed Bourgeois entry ? (because I can't see a gap in the dates)

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

This rang a bell as having been played a few weeks ago, as Penn Igor suggests, so I did a quick Google, which revealed that the same recording of the brass band arrangement as is listed in CB-H's playlist on Tuesday was played by Martin Handley on Saturday 11 October: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l2zd0

The BoB listing for that day confirms my further recollection that, although the Serenade was requested by a listener, it was not played as part of BoB. That palm went to the Fanshawe African Sanctus, of which MH played the horribly saccharine Lord's Prayer. I seem to recall that the reaction from listeners was not altogether positive, and that MH was not entirely unsympathetic to that reaction.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              The BoB listing for that day confirms my further recollection that, although the Serenade was requested by a listener, it was not played as part of BoB. That palm went to the Fanshawe African Sanctus, of which MH played the horribly saccharine Lord's Prayer. I seem to recall that the reaction from listeners was not altogether positive, and that MH was not entirely unsympathetic to that reaction.
              Thanks, utc - and last Tuesday, said palm went to Howard Goodall's "Vicar of Dibley" (yes, I took in that it has since entered the choral repertoire!), listener on that occasion pleading, how embarrassing would it be, not having anything by Howard Goodall in the Best of British? Howard does very well and I don't like to knock anyone - but equally some might think, how embarrassing that he rates an entry in the Best of British classical music list.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Thanks, utc - and last Tuesday, said palm went to Howard Goodall's "Vicar of Dibley" (yes, I took in that it has since entered the choral repertoire!), listener on that occasion pleading, how embarrassing would it be, not having anything by Howard Goodall in the Best of British? Howard does very well and I don't like to knock anyone - but equally some might think, how embarrassing that he rates an entry in the Best of British classical music list.
                You might very well think that some might think that, ff. I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• Penn Igor

This rang a bell as having been played a few weeks ago, as Penn Igor suggests, so I did a quick Google, which revealed that the same recording of the brass band arrangement as is listed in CB-H's playlist on Tuesday was played by Martin Handley on Saturday 11 October: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l2zd0

Thanks for that, I stand corrected. Maybe I should ask for another piece by Derek B to be included in the BoB list. The trombone concerto maybe. Or would being part of this trivial pursuit just be coming down to their level. I await advice.

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

I must admit that, like Penn Igor, I had assumed the Derek Bourgeois Serenade was to be included in the Best of British list. One has to wonder why at least one piece by this fine British composer wasn't already on the list.

I agree with you entirely about the Fanshawe. Seems R3 can't tell the difference between popular and good. Let's face it, the whole concept of a Classical "chart" is daft in the extreme.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HARRIET HAVARD View Post
                      I must admit that, like Penn Igor, I had assumed the Derek Bourgeois Serenade was to be included in the Best of British list. One has to wonder why at least one piece by this fine British composer wasn't already on the list.

I agree with you entirely about the Fanshawe. Seems R3 can't tell the difference between popular and good. Let's face it, the whole concept of a Classical "chart" is daft in the extreme.
                      " Best of British" is by listener choice. You have to email in, and then the pieces are chosen from there. I have to say it is an excellent list, with some absolutely top class works, recommended by some astute listeners.

Why would Bourgeois be blacklisted?
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        " Best of British" is by listener choice. You have to email in, and then the pieces are chosen from there. I have to say it is an excellent list, with some absolutely top class works, recommended by some astute listeners.

Why would Bourgeois be blacklisted?
                        Addinsell, John Barry, Binge, Bryers, Coates, Fanshaw, Rutter, Taverner. And some not so astute listeners, it would seem.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

so why might he be blacklisted?

I am none the wiser.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            so why might he be blacklisted?

I am none the wiser.
                            Has he been blacklisted? I know there used to be rules about conflict of interest in the case of producers who were also composers (e.g.. Bob Simpson).

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Has he been blacklisted?
                              How can he be, if he's been played twice in a matter of weeks? Unless I'm misunderstanding what 'blacklisted' means.

Comment

Working...
                              X