• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

EBU Day’s of Christmas Music without Playlist

Whilst Early Music Show is put aside, I usually enjoy this annual broadcast event and find that the playlist makes an interesting read, as well as being very useful for planning the day’s activities.

This year, however, there is no playlist. NOTHING. Just ‘episode 1 & 2'. I feel as if I had been told ‘if you want to listen to or think about the music on the programme, or want to plan your listening, don’t bother with this programme’.

I am well aware that the programme is broadcast live but all the concerts were planned. What excuse does Radio3 have for not publish the playlist? I hate that ‘music played’ thing that appears ‘live’. Programming like this is an insult to the producers of all the original programmes.
  • Roehre

wholeheartedly seconded

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

I can provide a link to the online Radio Times schedule for episode 2, but not episode 1

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

if that doesn't work for you

4.00 From Bethlehem Chapel, Prague.
        Schreier: Missa pastoralis. Trad: Czech christmas Carols.
        Czech Radio Children's Choir, director Blanka Kulinska, Brno Radio Folk Instrument Orchestra (Broln), conductor Frantisek Cerny.

5.00 From Romanian Radio Concert Hall, Bucharest.
        Cucu: We Are Going to Sing Carols on Christmas Eve (Am plecat sa colindam); This Evening (Asta seara). Chirescu: There in the Shadow of the Tree (Colo-n umbra pomului). Hubic: The Little Flower (Floricica). Pann arr. Moldoveanu: Three Magi from the East (Trei magi de la rasarit). Constantinescu: The Holy Virgin Today (Fecioare astazi). Dragoi: Two Carols from Belint (Doua Colinde din Belint). Ursu: Christmas Is Coming in the Evening (Vine Carciunul pe sara). Jarda: The House Across the Road (La casa di peste drum). Pascanu: As Is Customary We Are Going to Sing Carols on Christmas Eve (Dupa datini colindam).
        Preludiu Chamber Choir, director Voicu Enachescu.

6.00 From Langholt Church, Reykjavik.
        Traditional Icelandic music for Christmas plus contemporary works by Icelanding composers including Jon Sigurdsson.
        Hallfridur Olafsdottir (flute), Elisabet Waage (harp), Graduale Nobili Girls' Choir, director Jon Stefansson.

7.00 Live from Concert Hall, DR Concert House, Copenhagen.
        Reesen: A Christmas Overture.
        Enna: The Little Match Girl (excerpts).
        Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K622.
        Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker, Suite No 1, Op 71a.
        Denise Beck, Inger Dam-Jensen (sopranos), Danish Radio Children's Chorus, Danish National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Karl Heinz Steffens.

9.00 From Sofia Church, Stockholm.
        Traditional carols with Christmas choral works by Sandstrom, Olsson, Lauridsen and Poulenc.
        Sofia Vocal Ensemble, director Bengt Ollen.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Radio 3 has become another background music channel.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I can provide a link to the online Radio Times schedule for episode 2, but not episode 1

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c9...usic--21122014
            Given that Radio 3 must provide the details to the Radio Times (mustn't they?), why can't they (R3) put them on their own website?

I'd ask on Facebook, but no one ever gets an answer to anything ...

1.02pm -3pm:

Radio 3's annual afternoon of live and specially recorded festive concerts from around Europe, beginning with a broadcast of traditional Finnish works direct from Helsinki. 1.00 Live from Kallio Church, Helsinki. Koch: Vinterpastoral. Madetoja: Cast Off Thy Everyday Cares (Arkihuolesi kaikki heita). Palmgren: The Virgin Rocks Her Baby Boy (Ja neitsyt pikku poijuttansa). Reger: Maria Wiegenlied & Aria on the G string, Op 103a, No 3. Melartin: Christmas in Lapland (Lapin Joulu). Ranta: Kehtolaulu Lapista. Bach arr Stokowski: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland. Sibelius: Give Me No Splendour (En etsi valtaa). Adam: Cantique de Noel. Sonninen: Christmas Hymn (Rauhaa, vain rauhaa). Soile Isolkoski (soprano), Lappland Chamber Orchestra, conductor John Stogards. 2.00 From Grand Hall, Conservatory, Moscow. Golovanov: Troparion for Christmas (Christmas Hymns and Liturgy, Op 36); The Virgin Now Is Giving Birth (Christmas Hymns and Liturgy, Op 36); I Am Seeing a Strange Mystery (Christmas Hymns and Liturgy, Op 36); Christ Is Born, Glorify (Christmas Hymns and Liturgy, Op 36); By the Flame of Love, a kontakion (From Junior Copybooks, Op 38); Cherubic Song, a hymn from The Liturgy of the Faithful (From Junior Copybooks, Op 38); My Soul, Op 5 No 1; To the Mother of God (Joy of All Who Sorrow, Op 39); O Gladsome Light (Joy of All Who Sorrow, Op 39). Grand Chorus `Masters of Choral Singing' of Russian State Musical TV and Radio Centre, conductor Lev Kontorovich.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Thank you Mercia and frenchie. That's quite enough information to warn me off. I'll be at the Network Theatre, Waterloo to listen to Nat Catchpole, John Edward and Eddie Prevost this afternoon anyway.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Thank you Mercia and frenchie. That's quite enough information to warn me off. I'll be at the Network Theatre, Waterloo to listen to Nat Catchpole, John Edward and Eddie Prevost this afternoon anyway.
                Peasant!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

The playlists right across the schedule are a shambles. Look at the recent Previn CotW ones - OK for the first couple of days but then full of repetitions, omissions and a completely misleading list for the last day. It's not even something that requires much effort to get right.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    The playlists right across the schedule are a shambles. Look at the recent Previn CotW ones - OK for the first couple of days but then full of repetitions, omissions and a completely misleading list for the last day. It's not even something that requires much effort to get right.
                    I have posted a polite enquiry on Facebook though no one will be there to answer. Someone is complaining (surprise!) about the trails and I've commented on the irritating 'Verb' video which starts playing automatically as soon as you go on the page. Why on earth can't they put that amount of effort into getting the online basics right?

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

At least we have not heard once, ‘you are listening to Christmas round Europe with me Penny Gore’. Very welcoming indeed.

As to ff’s question:
                      Why on earth can't they put that amount of effort into getting the online basics right?
                      I expect the answer is ‘the matter of priority’ (huh…)

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Czech segment the best so far - instruments, local voices, sense of fun.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I haven't heard much of the rest, but I did catch the Czech concert while I was cleaning the bathroom, & agree with Draco - a most enjoyable concert, with an interesting sound.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Czech segment the best so far - instruments, local voices, sense of fun.
                            The children's voices were fine...but Oh Gawd, that Mass they sang (Missa pastoralis) was a bit tedious? Or did it catch me when I was struggling with Christmas tree + lights? And as the programme continued, I must say I found a lot of the stuff rather boring and repetitive. Resorted to fave CDs before the end.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

I didn't find it tedious at all - surprising, perhaps, & enjoyable. There was something about it, at times, that to my ignorant ear conjured up the thought of Jewish music. I can't say what, or why; perhaps because of its basis in eastern European folk music?

Comment

Working...
                              X