Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Concert 20th March Violin Concerto by Raymond Yiu WORLD PREMIERE

Raymond Yiu was born in Hong Kong but finished his secondary schooling in Kent.

Whether in Hong Kong or living in London, as he does now, Raymond Yiu is an urban creature happy to live and compose surrounded by the noise and presence of fellow humans. He's reached fifty years old and has a back catalogue of compelling compositions across many genres. Raymond is a Jazz pianist. Some of his orchestral works have been recorded by the BBC SO and distributed by the Scottish label 'Delphian'

Esther Yoo was the soloist in the world premiere of the Violin Concerto by Raymond Yiu – a heartfelt homage to the memory of Ma Sicong, a great Chinese violinist who was persecuted by the Communist regime after 1966. Ma went into exile in the United States where he died during a high risk operation during 1987. (By then, the Chinese regime had pardoned Sicong. Later it published his recordings and created a Museum in his memory. Such is life and death.)

The Concerto tells a stirring story of sorrowing humanity and survival. Esther Yoo (29) was a BBC New Generation Artist a decade ago and has returned more recently to play at the BBC Proms. She has recorded a number of well-respected CDs.

The new, extended (40') violin concerto by Yiu interpreted by Yoo was compelling: colourful, sometimes intense but always engaging. The first movement was a fractured Prelude: snap-shots of introduction were led by the violinist; the movement established a Chinese ambience. The tuneful scherzo, based on Cantonese Pop music which Yiu loves, followed in skittish, pseudo café fashion. I heard shades of Façade and Shostakovich's Jazz Suites. The third movement was a lengthy ngthy, testing cadenza for the solonviolin. The movement was the emotional heart of the piece and Esther played it with immense commitment. The gravitas reminded me of the cadenza in Shostskovich's first violin concerto. The long finale was based on a tune by Sicong, himself knitted all that came before into unity.

I noted that the powerful orchestration was written with great care; it never occluded Yoo and her violin. I anticipated that Yiu's concerto might be as tiring emotionally as Ben. Frankel's violin concerto. That it wasn't was due to the breadth and humanity of Raymond Yiu's canvas: loneliness and exile in a world teeming with busy people doing their best to survive and going about their own affairs. I hope that the highly successful premiere was the first of many performances of this well-characterised work which deserves wide exposure. In no way is it forbidding or difficult. By the way , the work's coda was akin to a lark ascending free with a bit of support from the coda of 'Nali' Gruber's 1st violin concerto.

Ed, thanks for drawing the attention to this work, which I missed hearing today.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, which I would not otherwise have seen .

I had not heard of this composer. I used to listen regularly to unfamilar works , and Radio 3 has been invaluable over the years. Recently though I have found the experience so disappointing that I do it only occasionally. So this was a first hearing of a completely unfamiliar piece.

I don't know if your message 1 is all your own views or whether it's drawn from another source in the interests of background . You certainly seem very enthusiastic about it, so I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for it: it seemed to me loose, episodic and too long for its rather lean thematic material. To compare it with two other recent violin concertos I've heard, I'd say it's a lot pleasanter to listen to than Michael Berkeley's, but less well-composed than Peter Dickinson's .

I'm not trying to convince anyone of my view and I know you didn't ask for opinions. I say this merely in the interest of balance. I'd be interested to see what others thought.

Comment

Sorry Ed but I’m with Smitters on this one. Just though it was too much of a ragbag . It had everything but the kitchen sink in there musically but (or maybe as a consequence ) just didn’t hang together for me.

Comment

His Symphony was well received at the 2015 Proms. I think his compositional style is somewhere between allusive and imitative, and I enjoy that sort of sophisticated thoughtfulness in modern pieces. I enjoyed the Concerto and hope that it will be recorded. (Full disclosure, as they say: I knew him slightly when he was at school, but lost sight of him after he left.)

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Ed, thanks for drawing the attention to this work, which I missed hearing today.
            As you wear your inclinations on your sleeve SA, I fear that you will find much that is backward or redundant in Raymond Yiu's very long concerto. Other comments suggest that .my recent long spell in hospital has blunted my critical faculties.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              Thanks for posting this, which I would not otherwise have seen .

I had not heard of this composer. I used to listen regularly to unfamilar works , and Radio 3 has been invaluable over the years. Recently though I have found the experience so disappointing that I do it only occasionally. So this was a first hearing of a completely unfamiliar piece.

I don't know if your message 1 is all your own views or whether it's drawn from another source in the interests of background . You certainly seem very enthusiastic about it, so I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for it: it seemed to me loose, episodic and too long for its rather lean thematic material. To compare it with two other recent violin concertos I've heard, I'd say it's a lot pleasanter to listen to than Michael Berkeley's, but less well-composed than Peter Dickinson's .

I'm not trying to convince anyone of my view and I know you didn't ask for opinions. I say this merely in the interest of balance. I'd be interested to see what others thought.
              Your analysis is accurate smittims. I did due diligence before writing my piece and those readings did persuade me that Yiu had 'something to say'.

Was the piece loose? I have heard three British premieres on R.3 in the last three nights. If Attahir's Stabat Mater is given 1 (tight, coherent) and Kapustin's 5th Piano Concertois condemned with 10( chaotic, incoherent ) then I feel Yiu' s concerto gets 6.

'Episodic' : four different movements, more suite than trad. Concerto

'Too long for its rather lean thematic material '... certainlyong but it contained a profusion of rather trite material.

I have no knowledge of MB's V.C. but I agree that it is less scholarly that Peter Dickinson's.
              you views, in this instance , are more robust than mine, smittims.
              I have been away from RADIO 3 for 6 months.
              I need to sharpen my critical faculties for I fear for the stations future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                Sorry Ed but I’m with Smitters on this one. Just though it was too much of a ragbag . It had everything but the kitchen sink in there musically but (or maybe as a consequence ) just didn’t hang together for me.
                From Rags to Raga riches? Not quite.
                There is truth in your ragbat / ratbag conceit.
                6 months without Radio 3 has blunted my critical faculties. Tomorrow I may hail 'your' Alpine Symphony as the greatest symphonic work of the 20th century.
                HELP

Comment

Originally posted by boesendorfer View Post
                  His Symphony was well received at the 2015 Proms. I think his compositional style is somewhere between allusive and imitative, and I enjoy that sort of sophisticated thoughtfulness in modern pieces. I enjoyed the Concerto and hope that it will be recorded. (Full disclosure, as they say: I knew him slightly when he was at school, but lost sight of him after he left.)
                  'Allusive and imitative' I agree!
                  I don't know Raymond but looking at his website, I guess that he is gay and maybe unconsciously he styles himself on the late, lamented Steve Martland..

Comment

Actually, I think Lukas Foss is one of his most important (conscious) role models. He has also written enthusiastically about Elizabeth Maconchy. I seem to hear a similarity to Thomas Ades. Also Oliver Knussen. Perhaps the get-out-of-jail-free "eclectic" will do.

Comment

Originally posted by boesendorfer View Post
                      Actually, I think Lukas Foss is one of his most important (conscious) role models. He has also written enthusiastically about Elizabeth Maconchy. I seem to hear a similarity to Thomas Ades. Also Oliver Knussen. Perhaps the get-out-of-jail-free "eclectic" will do.
                      What I wrote was unclear and misleading, I was trying to compare the clothing of Steve and Raymond. .

Comment

Please don't feel awkward about yur original post , edashtav. You're quite entitled to your views. That's what this place is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Please don't feel awkward about yur original post , edashtav. You're quite entitled to your views. That's what this place is all about.
                          Thank you. My outlook on life and music has changed after a miserable six months dominated by multiple medical conditions and a long stay in hospital where I should have died except for watchful staff and an emergency operation at 3 am one Sunday morning..I'm thankful to be alive and able to listen to Radio 3 once more. My mien is ĺess critical and more tolerant than formerly.

Comment

Wow, yes, I can understand that. Good to hear you're back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Thank you. My outlook on life and music has changed after a miserable six months dominated by multiple medical conditions and a long stay in hospital where I should have died except for watchful staff and an emergency operation at 3 am one Sunday morning..I'm thankful to be alive and able to listen to Radio 3 once more. My mien is ĺess critical and more tolerant than formerly.
                              I have to say I have noticed a tendency in my self of late to retreat back to some kind of aesthetic baseline that I would have once considered an unfortunate step back, particularly since having my own health worries 12 years ago, but especially since the pandemic and climate change have evidenced the truthfulness of what many of us had long feared would become of life if continued regardless of unsustainability. Were it not for so much evidence of decadence in what passes for "new" in contemporary music being symptomatic of wider issues behind the malaise in our Western culture I would be in agreement. I would think I started to lose interest in most new developments, particularly in music, about 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X