Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I thought the lad did a cracking week but then I admit that I am unforgivably biased
    Agreed . He is the master of taking the music seriously while maintaining an engaging light tone without being trivial. Even his witticisms don’t grate. I hate to say it but I wonder it was his rather posh accent that counted against him in the Battle for slots . It is “posh “ but he still sounds informal and engaged.

Comment

I thought the lad did a cracking week but then I admit that I am unforgivably biased
      I'm biased too...he played my request on the Playlist! Vincent d'Indy's 'La joie du bleu profond' from 'Poème des rivages' - but after making a hash of pronouncing Vincent (twice), he 'translated' the rest into English....I'm finding this is happening more and more, anyone else noticed this trend?

Comment

No need for forgiveness on that score Anton!

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
          I hate to say it but I wonder it was his rather posh accent that counted against him in the Battle for slots . It is “posh “ but he still sounds informal and engaged.
          ... Ian Skelly* 'posh'?!

If a fairly standard RP accent elicits such prejudice - heaven help us...

[* Born in Manchester, grew up in West Lancashire, studied at Birmingham City University, saith wiki ]​

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... Ian Skelly* 'posh'?!

[* Born in Manchester, grew up in West Lancashire, studied at Birmingham City University, saith wiki ]​

I tend to agree vints ….

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... Ian Skelly* 'posh'?!

These days that’s posh and I would say he’s at the plummier end of RP. Almost old fashioned Oxford accent - I don’t have a problem with that as it’s a very clear accent .
              There’s something quite interesting going on with RP - have you noticed how many BBC newsreaders and journalists say “yars” rather than “years” ? Prominent example is Nick Witchell. Reeta Chakrabarti has also started doing it. Yars is full on South Ken / Chelsea - never heard in South East London (my accent),

Comment

These days that’s posh and I would say he’s at the plummier end of RP. Almost old fashioned Oxford accent - I don’t have a problem with that as it’s a very clear accent .
                There’s something quite interesting going on with RP - have you noticed how many BBC newsreaders and journalists say “yars” rather than “years” ? Prominent example is Nick Witchell. Reeta Chakrabarti has also started doing it. Yars is full on South Ken / Chelsea - never heard in South East London (my accent),
                None of them can say "to" either. It always comes out as "tuh" - as in, "we need tuh think about the kids".

Surprised not to find Skelly on the personal honours list, given his history as a speech writer for the former Prince Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

None of them can say "to" either. It always comes out as "tuh" - as in, "we need tuh think about the kids".

Surprised not to find Skelly on the personal honours list, given his history as a speech writer for the former Prince Charles.
                  Didn’t know that - I see he’s written a book with him as well. I can’t hear any Manchester in Ian’s accent in the same way one couldn’t hear anything northern in Joan Bakewell’s or Brum in Sue Lawley’s. Quite a few people used to lose the regional accent at University . Now ironically they are very much in vogue at the BBC and in broadcasting generally. It’s the cut glass accent that gets rejected I suspect.
                  Does Nick W really say “ tuh”? I’ve not heard that. He’s spent so much time following the Royals he’s sort of assumed their way of talking.

Comment

Didn’t know that - I see he’s written a book with him as well. I can’t hear any Manchester in Ian’s accent in the same way one couldn’t hear anything northern in Joan Bakewell’s or Brum in Sue Lawley’s. Quite a few people used to lose the regional accent at University . Now ironically they are very much in vogue at the BBC and in broadcasting generally. It’s the cut glass accent that gets rejected I suspect.
                    Does Nick W really say “ tuh”? I’ve not heard that. He’s spent so much time following the Royals he’s sort of assumed their way of talking.
                    I occasionally hear a giveaway from Mr Skelly (it also gives me away) as a North Cheshire Mancunian - the residual hard 'G', of which I remain inordinately proud. I lost the rest of my accent singing Gilbert and Sullivan for pennies down at Rhyl bowling green, having modelled my diction and pronunciation on Martyn Green (aged 8, me that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

I occasionally hear a giveaway from Mr Skelly (it also gives me away) as a North Cheshire Mancunian - the residual hard 'G', of which I remain inordinately proud. I lost the rest of my accent singing Gilbert and Sullivan for pennies down at Rhyl bowling green, having modelled my diction and pronunciation on Martyn Green (aged 8, me that is).
                      I bet that was a voice with “blade “ that cut right through to the upper circle ..

Comment

There’s something quite interesting going on with RP - have you noticed how many BBC newsreaders and journalists say “yars” rather than “years” ?
                        That's the same as the woman lady who went into the newsagents and asked for Flah magazine. Flower? No FLAH! (=Flair)

But there must be upper class RP and middle class RP then. "Yars" for "years" sound posh rather than RP (I say Yurz or Ye-erz depending on how it comes out).
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Love Ian Skelly. He was brilliant at the Cheltenham Festival (not the horsey one) you just felt in friendly musical safe hands. And I that there is a proliferation of 'tuh' as in "we are going tuh make significant changes tuh... programming" and "we will have tuh cut back on funding...music in schools" cannot help myself..tuh-tuht ting.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

I'm biased too...he played my request on the Playlist! Vincent d'Indy's 'La joie du bleu profond' from 'Poème des rivages' - but after making a hash of pronouncing Vincent (twice), he 'translated' the rest into English....I'm finding this is happening more and more, anyone else noticed this trend?
                            Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin was a casualty twice recently - Akademie was negotiated OK but then it was Early Music for one and I think Ancient Music for the other - I may have misheard that one but I do remember being surprised at the translation, and also aware of the presenter involved sounding at a loss - as in "I don't think this is right".

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

That's the same as the woman lady who went into the newsagents and asked for Flah magazine. Flower? No FLAH! (=Flair)

But there must be upper class RP and middle class RP then. "Yars" for "years" sound posh rather than RP (I say Yurz or Ye-erz depending on how it comes out).
                              I thought "yars" was posh for yes - the infamous drawl effect.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I thought "yars" was posh for yes - the infamous drawl effect.
                                South Ken / Chelsea Yes is Yar (singular)

Comment

Working...
                                X