Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music for Holy Week

Shows how effective the ad campaigns are* that I didn't know about this long sequence being broadcast today until I looked at the R3 schedule this morning!

I am puzzled by the sparsity of information provided, which seems to be a reduced form of the Afternoon (so-called)Concert format, so listing a few composer names, and mentioning a couple of larger works, but without any timings at all within each slot, which at least AC does, sort of, provide. The only timings are the start times at the various locations.
    Do they really not know what music each country is providing? Or has the music as background/wallpaper virus taken hold to the extent of considering that anything more than the merest minimum of indication is unnecessary, despite the fact that the audience for such a sequence is not likely to be of that inclination. Perhaps it's the insidious "everyone listens on catch up so can get the information then" assumption.

* or possibly my avoidance techniques...

There's a little more information on this EBU webpage (sadly, the MUS link on that page is restricted). I don't think R3 is broadcasting all of these...

Euroradio Holy Week Music Series

Across European musical traditions, the period of Holy Week has given rise to some of the most important musical works in the history of the art form, seeking to encapsulate in music the dramatic events of Christ's Passion. It embraces not only classical music, but also ancient chant traditions and folk music.
    The annual Euroradio Holy Week Music series celebrates this extraordinary tradition, bringing together music from a wide range of EBU radio organizations.
    All the details of the concerts in the 2024 Euroradio Holy Week Music Series, which has as its centre Palm Sunday, falling on 24 March this year, can be found in MUS under EURO/2023-2024/H/001-010.

List of concerts

This World Is Not The Only One - music by Palestrina, Gabrieli and Bonato
    Jauna Muzika; Vaclovas Augustinas, conductor; Recorded on 9 September 2023; LRT (Lithuania)

Louis Spohr's Des Heilands Letzte Stunden
    Stuttgart Chamber Choir; German Chamber Philharmonic Bremen; Frieder Bernius, conductor; Recorded on 31 October 2023; Deutschlandfunk Kultur (Germany)

UT Insieme Vocale-Consonante sing Victoria, Palestrina, Monteverdi and more
    UT Insieme Vocale-Consonante; Lorenzo Donati, conductor; Recorded in November 2023; Radio Vaticana (Vatican City)

Fauré’s Requiem
    Danish National Vocal Ensemble; Mark Baumann, organ; Carsten Seyer-Hansen, conductor; Recorded on 28 January 2024; Danish Radio

Aeternam
    Bavarian Radio Chorus; Krista Audere, conductor; Recorded on 9 March 2024; BR (Germany)

Spring and Easter concert from the Danish Radio Vocal Ensemble
    Danish National Vocal Ensemble; Martina Batič, conductor; Recorded on 15 March 2024; Danish Radio

Bruckner's Second Symphony
    German Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern; Pietari Inkinen, conductor; Recorded on 17 March 2024; SR (Germany)

Premiere of B. Tommy Andersson's Passion Oratorio
    Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble; Live on 24 March 2024; Swedish Radio

Bach's St. John Passion
    Mauro Peter, tenor, Evangelist; Matthew Rose, bass, Jesus; Lauryna Bendžiūnaitė, soprano; Wiebke Lehmkuhl, contralto; Anthony Gregory, tenor; Johannes Weisser, bass; Netherlands Radio Choir; Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra; Trevor Pinnock, conductor; Live on 24 March 2024; NPO (Netherlands)

Stanford's Stabat Mater
    The Bach Choir; BBC Concert Orchestra; Daniel Hyde, conductor; Live on 29 March 2024; BBC (United Kingdom)​

Comment

More details on the ~1 hour Lithuanian concert from this webpage:

This world is not the only one

Vilnius weekly choir YOUNG MUSIC on September 9. invites you to wander through the labyrinths of human memory and listen to the works of Italian composers in their alleys, full of echoes and mysticism.
      The works will be performed by the JAUNA MUZIKA choir and choir friends Tomas Kulikauskas, Pavel Giunter (percussion).

Giovanni Palestrina - O magnum mysterium
      Giovanni Bonato - Drai brauen
      Giovanni Palestrina - Missa brevis
      Giovanni Bonato - Dilexi
      Giovanni Gabrieli - Exaudi me, Domine
      Giovanni Bonato - Veni Sancte Spiritus​

Comment

I think the Spohr is the performance on this webpage and this one.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          More details on the ~1 hour Lithuanian concert from this webpage:
          This is the record of John!

Thanks for that AD, and for the earlier info. Did the MUS link restriction apply to the BBC as well, is that why they couldn't provide a more helpful listing.....?
          The reference to Stanford Stabat Mater(which I don't know) took me to the R3 listings for 29th March and I see we are to get a double helping of Good Friday music, something to look forward to.
          (With all the changes announced for R3 I wonder what Good Friday 2025 will look like)

Comment

This FaceBook page had more information (in Italian - HELP!!!!).

UT insieme vocale-consonante
            Domenica 24 Marzo 2024, ore 22.00
            in diretta su Radio Vaticana e durante la giornata della Domenica delle Palme anche nella programmazione della BBC, della Radio Bulgaria e altre Radio europee,
            UT insieme vocale-consonante presenta il suo programma di Pasqua intitolato O vos omnes con brani di De Victoria, Gesualdo, Monteverdi, Palestrina e opere contemporanee di Lorenzo Donati e Pierluigi Morelli.
            In prima assoluta "O vos omnes" di Lorenzo Donati e "Stabat Mater" di Pierluigi Morelli.

Buon ascolto!!!
            #iotifout #RadioVaticana #holyweek2024 #lorenzodonati​

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              This is the record of John!
              Thanks for that AD, and for the earlier info. Did the MUS link restriction apply to the BBC as well, is that why they couldn't provide a more helpful listing.....?
              The reference to Stanford Stabat Mater(which I don't know) took me to the R3 listings for 29th March and I see we are to get a double helping of Good Friday music, something to look forward to.
              (With all the changes announced for R3 I wonder what Good Friday 2025 will look like)
              They must have access!

Heaven knows - but it's not looking hopeful.

Comment

The Faure Requiem has extensive programme notes / photos (in Danish ).

Comment

This FaceBook page had more information (in Italian - HELP!!!!).

I managed to extract some relevant bits from that, thanks to a mix of dead reckoning so to speak(scraps of choral latin), and Google! Two first performances by contemporary composers it would seem, as well as somewhat older(!) music.
                  With luck Andrew McG will be able to fill out the gaps in the online listing during the broadcast, but it would still have been nice to have had it beforehand.

Comment

Shows how effective the ad campaigns are* that I didn't know about this long sequence being broadcast today until I looked at the R3 schedule this morning!

* or possibly my avoidance techniques...
                    Same here!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Aargh! There's just been an ad( the breathing one) between the ending of the Danish slot and the beginning of the Vatican one.
                      What clod hopper thought that a good idea? And I'm not going to be positive and say "at least it didn't come in the middle of the relay" because it shouldn't have happened at all as far as I'm concerned.

I see they've managed to find some information to put online at last, although the last 2 slots are unknowns as yet.
                      Last edited by oddoneout; 24-03-24, 19:18.

Comment

The Faure Requiem has extensive programme notes / photos (in Danish ).
                        Well danish isn't my thing but it did include the latin and french texts to the works if I'd wanted to follow.

Comment

Aargh! There's just been an ad( the breathing one) between the ending of the Danish slot and the beginning of the Vatican one.
                          What clod hopper thought that a good idea? And I'm not going to be positive and say "at least it didn't come in the middle of the relay" because it shouldn't have happened at all as far as I'm concerned.
                          I see they've managed to find some information to put online at last, although the last 2 slots are unknowns as yet.
                          I think one of the incredibly annoying ads crashed AM's announcements.

Did Auntie delay the listings to force us to listen to more of the programme? Could FoR3 have shamed the lazy beggars in to updating them?

I enjoyed most of what I heard. Fingers crossed that they're still there next year - and without the ads.

Comment

I think one of the incredibly annoying ads crashed AM's announcements.

Did Auntie delay the listings to force us to listen to more of the programme? Could FoR3 have shamed the lazy beggars in to updating them?

I enjoyed most of what I heard. Fingers crossed that they're still there next year - and without the ads.
                            It wasn't one of their finest evenings production-wise was it? (no criticism of AM in that, he did his bit well) I'm very grateful to you for your efforts to find extra info, which led me down some interesting byways. But... why was the BBC's online listing so deficient?
                            There was a distinct change between the first 3 slots and the rest of the evening's offerings, and I must confess I started losing interest during the Bavaria segment(warbly wimmin didn't help) and switched off after about 10 minutes of the Spohr. The Vilnius and Vatican City sections were the highlights for me.
                            I doubt we'll ever be shot of the ads, at least in the foreseeable future, so the best we can hope for is that they are limited to the "gaps", rather than being forced into the main body.Even that can't be assumed though, sadly - look at what's happened with Afternoon Concert, and the Seow news slot in the middle of the Early Music Show is the same crass approach.

As always with these broadcasts though it just highlights how much there is out there that we just don't get to hear from R3 now - performers,composers, and different performance styles.

Comment

Working...
                            X