Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

I'm not sure about this: don't you mean that R is not strictly constant, and can be defined as a function of applied voltage and resulting current, among other things, the function depending on the material? Even in copper R isn't constant - for instance it increases with increasing temperature, which of course is influenced by external conditions and also by the current, I. For any instantaneous value of R, I think the law should hold. (In fact the definition of the instantaneous resistance R is V/I.)
    Yes that's true, but to all intents and purposes the resistivity of copper is taken to be constant (it's resistance is often quoted at 20°c), the change (rise) in resistance is less than half an Ohm per degree. The current through say your speaker cables will produce no measurable temperature change due to the current itself - given copper wire of sufficient cross section. Carbon (in resistors) has the irritating habit of of going 'high' with age - in sensitive places I often change them for the more stable metal oxide types, especially in valve amplifiers that generally 'run' hotter.

Regular conductor = Adrian Boult on All Bran.............Semi-conductors = Previn, Ashkenazy et al.

Comment

In an effort to get this thread back on track can I suggest that the Linz performance of the very appropriately named Ensemble Resonanz produces in me a resistance which increases with frequency ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        In an effort to get this thread back on track can I suggest that the Linz performance of the very appropriately named Ensemble Resonanz produces in me a resistance which increases with frequency ?
        At Resonanz my Queue factor is reduced to zero! Sorry!

Comment

Love the comments here: sorry for going off track!

And another thing..... (is also a suitable sentence starter for 10).

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Not to mention most of the first 30 or so verses of Genesis in the King James Version - generally considered to be greatest example of prose writing in the English language. However I wouldn’t start a sentence in a business letter with “and “ because it’s just not the right context. There are different styles for different contexts - from texting to the literary novel.
            My understanding of the King James Bible was that the ‘committee’ that prepared an English Language version of Ancient Hebrew Scripture was trying to capture the rhythm of the original, and was less concerned with rendering a literal prose style. They also deliberately chose an English style that would have sounded anachronistic to contemporary readers as they felt that there should be a distance between the events described and the reader

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              The arrogance of the man never ceases to surprise me. TS is the Radio 3 equivalent of Laura Kuenssburg.
              ... and that's not good!

Comment

Maxim Emelyanychev and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra played the last 3 ‘hyped up hipp’ style at a Prom in 2021 - dreadful twisted about performances - I have avoided this style of playing ever since - I agree with Roger Webb about Pinnock and Hogwood’s sensible hipp.
                For the Linz Kertesz, Jochum or Krips …

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Maxim Emelyanychev and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra played the last 3 ‘hyped up hipp’ style at a Prom in 2021 - dreadful twisted about performances - I have avoided this style of playing ever since - I agree with Roger Webb about Pinnock and Hogwood’s sensible hipp.
                  For the Linz Kertesz, Jochum or Krips …
                  Thanks, the Hogwood was a revelation when it came out - I don't think the term 'historically informed' had been invented back then! But they were, and the accompanying booklet a model of informative sleeve noting.

The Pinnock added, perhaps, an added note of refinement to the playing, and these are my ideal Perfs on 'original' instruments.

But the two boxes of LPs of the Böhm/BPO (mostly 68/69) I think Jesus-Christus Kirche recording, are sounding lovely....warm, sophisticated....in turns relaxed and urgent!

The above Böhm my antidote to the Itchy and Scratchy brigade!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Thanks, the Hogwood was a revelation when it came out - I don't think the term 'historically informed' had been invented back then! But they were, and the accompanying booklet a model of informative sleeve noting.

The Pinnock added, perhaps, an added note of refinement to the playing, and these are my ideal Perfs on 'original' instruments.

But the two boxes of LPs of the Böhm/BPO (mostly 68/69) I think Jesus-Christus Kirche recording, are sounding lovely....warm, sophisticated....in turns relaxed and urgent!

The above Böhm my antidote to the Itchy and Scratchy brigade!
                    Straying away from the Linz - I do also like the LCP Norrington 38-41, not pure HIPP but heading in that direction and certainly not taking the unpleasant liberties that more recent interpreters have imposed.

Comment

Straying away from the Linz - I do also like the LCP Norrington 38-41, not pure HIPP but heading in that direction and certainly not taking the unpleasant liberties that more recent interpreters have imposed.
                      Yes Norrington, but he took things a bit far for me with the embargo on any vibrato - especially in late 19th century stuff. I remember a Mahler 1 at the Proms I think it was NYO (?) - the funeral march with the double basses was appalling.....perhaps it's meant to be!

Another historically informed set of Mozart Syms which I played a lot in my CD shop* when they came out, but didn't add to my own collection, was Sir Charles Mackerras/Prague C O. Can't remember the 'Linz', have to go on Qobuz and have listen - my overall memory of the set is positive though.

PS Sir Charles once came into my shop, and I made a bit of a fool of myself......but that's another story.

Comment

PS Sir Charles once came into my shop, and I made a bit of a fool of myself......but that's another story.
                        You asked him to pose with you for a selfie?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

You asked him to pose with you for a selfie?
                          Er. Worse. I had my head well down in the new Gramophone and didn't pay much attention, he then asked if I had the new 'Planets' on Virgin label, to which I replied grumpily that I didn't get them all in as there were about three a month coming out and I'd wait for the review to see if it was any good. 'Oh' he replied, and carried on browsing, eventually coming up to the counter with two Brahms chamber music CDs on Hyperion. He offered his credit card which I read....Sir Charles Mackerras, suddenly I realised it was he who conducted the new Planets with RLPO. He complimented me on at least having all of his Janacek opera recordings. He conducted a lovely Rosencavalier with WNO that night!

Comment

Yes that's true, but to all intents and purposes the resistivity of copper is taken to be constant (it's resistance is often quoted at 20°c), the change (rise) in resistance is less than half an Ohm per degree. The current through say your speaker cables will produce no measurable temperature change due to the current itself - given copper wire of sufficient cross section. Carbon (in resistors) has the irritating habit of of going 'high' with age - in sensitive places I often change them for the more stable metal oxide types, especially in valve amplifiers that generally 'run' hotter.

Regular conductor = Adrian Boult on All Bran.............Semi-conductors = Previn, Ashkenazy et al.
                            Lightning Conductor - Mravinsky in the finale of Tchaik 4!

Comment

Lightning Conductor - Mravinsky in the finale of Tchaik 4!
                              Previn was also a part-time bus conductor.

Comment

Er. Worse. I had my head well down in the new Gramophone and didn't pay much attention, he then asked if I had the new 'Planets' on Virgin label, to which I replied grumpily that I didn't get them all in as there were about three a month coming out and I'd wait for the review to see if it was any good. 'Oh' he replied, and carried on browsing, eventually coming up to the counter with two Brahms chamber music CDs on Hyperion. He offered his credit card which I read....Sir Charles Mackerras, suddenly I realised it was he who conducted the new Planets with RLPO. He complimented me on at least having all of his Janacek opera recordings. He conducted a lovely Rosencavalier with WNO that night!

Comment

Working...
                                X