Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Yes, and even funnier, when Sir Charles did a Gramophone interview a little while after, in which he related the incident, he mis-remembered the shop as Bath Compact Discs. All the fun....none of the blame!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Lightning Conductor - Mravinsky in the finale of Tchaik 4!
      Diode = Stravinsky, In Memoriam Dylan Thomas (warning, this joke only works one way)

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Maxim Emelyanychev and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra played the last 3 ‘hyped up hipp’ style at a Prom in 2021 - dreadful twisted about performances - I have avoided this style of playing ever since - I agree with Roger Webb about Pinnock and Hogwood’s sensible hipp.
        For the Linz Kertesz, Jochum or Krips …
        I don't normally go in for multiple recordings, but I have 3 versions of the Linz - Pinnock and Marriner on CD and Barenboim with the Berlin Phil on a Euroarts DVD.

Comment

My own 'Linz' of choice is VPO/Bernstein on DG, though the earlier one on Decca is just as good.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Some conductors suffer from impedance: they impede the orchestra. I remember one clown whose conducting of the BSO was hopeless & perverse. Soon it was evident that the leader had assumed control: follow my bow not his beat was his unsung command. The clown had a future: conducting minor musicals.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              Some conductors suffer from impedance: they impede the orchestra. I remember one clown whose conducting of the BSO was hopeless & perverse. Soon it was evident that the leader had assumed control: follow my bow not his beat was his unsung command. The clown had a future: conducting minor musicals.
              Cor! I wonder who that was - I used to see the BSO at Colston Hall (wash my mouth out!) all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                rather than more strategically outwards that are a number of benefits of that rather than perhaps I'm getting a little

Diode = Stravinsky, In Memoriam Dylan Thomas (warning, this joke only works one way)
                Pentode (which sounds like a complex slow work by Elliott Carter) = triode with two fancy bits

Comment

Cor! I wonder who that was - I used to see the BSO at Colston Hall (wash my mouth out!) all the time.
                  His name faded quickly after his one night stand in Bournemouth. However, reading an obituary many years later, I spotted his name. He had survived long in musicals.
                  How?
                  Well, the VPO was once reputed to follow the Divas on stage rather than their Pit-Meister.

Comment

His name faded quickly after his one night stand in Bournemouth. However, reading an obituary many years later, I spotted his name. He had survived long in musicals.
                    How?
                    Well, the VPO was once reputed to follow the Divas on stage rather than their Pit-Meister.
                    Ah, well, if he only did one night in Bournemouth....I came in in mid 70s through the Silvestri, Berglund, Barshai era, but guest conductors were Hurst still and Charlie Groves - in those days we had many orchestras on tour, Concertgebouw (Bruckner 3) Vienna PO/Jochem (Haydn 104/Eroica) LSO/Previn (Beet VC/Mutter!), great days, never to return.....and no WNO now in Bristol.

Comment

Ah, well, if he only did one night in Bournemouth....I came in in mid 70s through the Silvestri, Berglund, Barshai era, but guest conductors were Hurst still and Charlie Groves - in those days we had many orchestras on tour, Concertgebouw (Bruckner 3) Vienna PO/Jochem (Haydn 104/Eroica) LSO/Previn (Beet VC/Mutter!), great days, never to return.....and no WNO now in Bristol.
                      NO WNO IN BRISTOL!
                      What a great disappointment- after all Bristol is on the doorstep of Wales. The hinterland of the principality should be able to draw on it for cultural support.
                      Last edited by edashtav; 08-05-24, 00:00.

Comment

NO WNO IN BRISTOL!
                        What a great dgreat disappointment- after all Bristol is on the doorstep of Wales. The hinterland of the principality should be able to draw on it for cultural support.
                        Agreed, and thanks for signing the petition I put on the WNO 24/25 thread.

Comment

Nice to see Roger mention Mackerras and the Prague CO complete Mozart sym. box, usually completely ignored in favour of the Scottish set

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            Nice to see Roger mention Mackerras and the Prague CO complete Mozart sym. box, usually completely ignored in favour of the Scottish set
                            Yes, I bought some of the CDs in Prague in 1992 and I'm listening to the Linz now, it's lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post

Yes, I bought some of the CDs in Prague in 1992 and I'm listening to the Linz now, it's lovely.
                              I'm glad you like the Prague set. In Mozart's time some of the best wind players were Czech (Bohemian), and to this day they have a distinct sound, which adds greatly to this set, unmatched sound quality too. The Scottish set is fine too....and all the rage with Radio 3 producers for a while.....but my heart lies in Prague!

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                Saturday morning with Tom S is currently playing the final movement of the Linz symphony . Played “as it should be “ according to Tom that is loud, very fast , edgy , sudden sforzandi , aggressive string sound full of the sound of bow crunching against string . The band is
                                The Ensemble Resonanz. Conductor: Riccardo Minasi.

All very exciting but what’s wrong having it suffused with a Walterseque tinge of regret ? Or a silkier string sound ? It’s wearing my ears out.
                                Sounds terrible . The Freiburg Baroque performance is good but like others I love the BPO/Bohm one of the very first records I bought and Bruno Walter.

Comment

Working...
                                X