X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Yes, I was indeed lucky to be present. At the time I was editing the AAM's Friends Society newsletter so was a bit of a HIPP groupie, attending when I was able!

I notice that Morten Wilding is present on quite a few of the various Hogwood discs over the years...maybe he sat in sometimes when Dunkerley wasn't available?
    Yes but Wilding was the producer, on those recordings either Eadon or Dunkerley would have engineered them.

BTW I've just made a suggestion on the which wine are you drinking now thread.....do you approve? It's from your part of the world!

Not many takers for La Tribune Beethoven SQ 127 thread for Sunday, I've left my choice...do you have an opinion, if so it might bump it up and get a discussion going.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Yes but Wilding was the producer, on those recordings either Eadon or Dunkerley would have engineered them.

BTW I've just made a suggestion on the which wine are you drinking now thread.....do you approve? It's from your part of the world!

Not many takers for La Tribune Beethoven SQ 127 thread for Sunday, I've left my choice...do you have an opinion, if so it might bump it up and get a discussion going.
      Yes of course, silly me, Roger, another senior moment, sorry.
      I wholeheartedly concur with your choice of Provençal rosé, the shelves in the supermarkets are full of it in Arles and it's very agreeable. Though an old friend of mine gave me a bottle of Saumur the other day which she said is considered one of the best. It was certainly very agreeable.
      I'm going to have to remain silent on the Beethoven string quartets thread...they are works which I haven't listened to much and when I do I find them tough nuts to crack. I'm hoping I will come to understand and appreciate them at some time, though as I've just reached 65, I also hope I don't run out of time!

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Yes of course, silly me, Roger, another senior moment, sorry.
        I wholeheartedly concur with your choice of Provençal rosé, the shelves in the supermarkets are full of it in Arles and it's very agreeable. Though an old friend of mine gave me a bottle of Saumur the other day which she said is considered one of the best. It was certainly very agreeable.
        I'm going to have to remain silent on the Beethoven string quartets thread...they are works which I haven't listened to much and when I do I find them tough nuts to crack. I'm hoping I will come to understand and appreciate them at some time, though as I've just reached 65, I also hope I don't run out of time!
        Ah! Haven't been to Arles for years...my wife used to go there on business sometimes, so I explored a little while she was working.

Yes to Saumur, probably the best in Loire.

Shame about the Beethoven (Op.127 is, I suppose the most conventional in some ways)....at 74 they mean more to me now than when in my youth at 65!..........there's plenty of time!

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Ah! Haven't been to Arles for years...my wife used to go there on business sometimes, so I explored a little while she was working.

Yes to Saumur, probably the best in Loire.

Shame about the Beethoven (Op.127 is, I suppose the most conventional in some ways)....at 74 they mean more to me now than when in my youth at 65!..........there's plenty of time!
          Very happy to think you have sampled the delights of Arles, it's a gem with a surprisingly large amount of cultural events for such a small town.

I'm encouraged to think I could still be won over by the Beethoven SQs later on in life... who knows, I might even be conquered by Bartok!

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

This morning, TS played an advertising message from Nezet-Seguin pushing his latest recording of Sibelius syms 2 and 5 followed by playing the last movt of 5, received by TS with great joy and considerable praise for the performance and the recording which technical quality aside had some odd orchestral balances to my ears at least, with strings too loud and poorly balanced brass, all at a tempo that sounded like he wanted it done and dusted. Not perhaps in last week's Linz category but hardly meriting Tom's rapture.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I sometimes wonder if some Radio 3 presenters actually listen to the performances they gush about afterwards . I remember one lunchtime concert whenthe announcer shouted overthe applause 'what an incredibly exciting performance of La Bonne Chanson!'. It wasn't, nor should it have been. It's not that sort of music . It was beautiful, moving ,perhaps, but maybe saying so wouldn't be 'acentuating the posirtive'.

Comment

Working...
              X