Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the extra costs of the rights involved in accomodating the 'less familiar' works a significant or unsignificant issue here?

Russ
    Last edited by Guest; 17-05-11, 11:34.

Comment

>>Is the extra costs of the rights involved in accomodating the 'less familiar' works a significant or unsignificant issue here

I've no idea with the items R3 play BUT it certainly colours the stuff played on R1,2 and maybe 6.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        ...AND locked into serious competition with a rival...

If this leaked brief is an indication of the trajectory of current R3 thinking...
        I think the importance of CFM to R3 management is overplayed here. Whether you're supplying tractors, food or lager the thing that matters is to claim a piece of ground, make it yours and yours alone and so cannot successfuly be encroached on by rivals. I guess this is what FoR3 wants.

I really don't think the few paras quoted early in this thread constitute a brief, only an invitation to tender. There's a lot of money involved, the brief is sure to be a very comprehensive document and there are certain to be opportunities to move the apparent goalposts/constraints. I would expect a pilot programme to be made and maybe researched in some detail before giving the green light. It's very hard for FoR3 to raise coherent objections to something embryonic and unknown.

amateur51/Paul S
        Is this the big banana? A while ago Euda posted a link to a photo of herself taken by herself to show she's 'cute' and she included this sneaky pic of Roger Wright admiring the lampost he's just planted:

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Eudaimonia #104:

... If you wish to take issue with any member of the forum for something they have said, please address your comment to that member and stop flinging censorious and derogatory remarks at no one and everyone - especially FoR3, about whose business you know nothing whatsoever.
          Well said. Although I have to say that after wading through a couple of humourless examples in the early days of this Forum, I never read Euda's messages bar the first few words as I can't work out what on earth his or her agenda is, or what he or she is on about or driving at. Life is too short.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Well said. Although I have to say that after wading through a couple of humourless examples in the early days of this Forum, I never read Euda's messages bar the first few words as I can't work out what on earth his or her agenda is, or what he or she is on about or driving at. Life is too short.
            Seconded. A complete inability to read other people's messages or recognise that others may have equally valid viewpoints to him/herself.

OTOH: one should recognise the good points of the end of Classical Collection - viz no more of a certain presenter's destruction of the English language. This morning we were apprised of the following gems: that "my composers (sic) this morning are Beethoven and Mozart." Sorry, but when were they "yours"? When were you Beethoven's patron?

Tomorrow, "I will play for you" (what, you will play?) Beethoven's Op.54 sonata "in two movements - but none the worse for that!" WTFDTM?????

But best (or worst) of all was the moment when she told us that "I am your host for this morning".

Comment

Right, moving swiftly on ... Here's my programme for the first day (criticisms and alternatives welcome):

MOSAIC, the not always essential classics, presented all this week by Paul Guinery/Sara Mohr-Pietsch

9am News headlines

9.03 CD Choice (shorter pieces for the Breakfast audience and the new arrivals from R4, preferably not stuff in CFM Hall of Fame)

Finzi, Forlana, for clarinet and orchestra (3’)
              Dvořák: Mazurek for violin and orchestra in E minor, Op 49 (5’35)
              Moeran, Overture for a Masque (10’30)
              Sibelius: Pohjola’s daughter (14’)
              Finzi, Romance, Op 11 (7’)
              [40 mins]

9.45 Monday Symphony

Jan Václav Voříšek, Symphony in D major (27’)
              [30 mins]

10.15 Recommended recording

LaSalle Quartet: Lyric Suite, Alban Berg
              [30 mins]

10.45 Talk (through the week): Arabic classical music, the secular genres, by (the late) Habib Hassan Touma
              [5-10 mins] NOT SURE THIS FITS IN VERY WELL HERE

Festival view, chamber music, this week John Shea/Jonathan Swain is at Cheltenham 2011:

Leif Ove Andnes
              10.50 Beethoven Sonata No 21 in C, Op.53 ‘Waldstein’
              11.15 Schoenberg Six Little Piano Pieces Op.19

Polina Leschenko, Piano; Priya Mitchell, Violin; Alexander Sitkovetsky, Violin; Maxim Rysanov, Viola; Natalie Clein, Cello
              11.25 Mozart, Piano Quartet No 1 in G minor, K.478

12pm Composer of the Week
              Last edited by french frank; 17-05-11, 18:34. Reason: Extra item added
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

No loss lieder, ff ?

Comment

ff, I'd listen to a fair bit of that. Is MOSAIC also an acronym?

Having said that, I am not a great fan of pieces lifted from concerts as opposed to the whole concert. They have tried this in Afternoon on 3 (and mixing orchestral and chamber concerts) and I think it just leaves a bitty impression. There's also the point that with a well-thought out concert programme, all the pieces form part of a whole and picking parts out results in loss. If you moved your talk back to fill up the gap, you could fit in the whole of Leif's Cheltenham concert (without interval of course).

Comment

No loss lieder
                    This is just the Monday 'show', Pablo. I did think of closing it with 'The Schubert song' but I think it's been done before
                    Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    ff, I'd listen to a fair bit of that. Is MOSAIC also an acronym?
                    I tried to think of one but then thought it detracted from the idea (or distracted, like modern words put to classical pieces). I just thought it was a nice name, like Kaleidoscope, to refer to smaller individual pieces which added up to a satisfying whole.
                    Having said that, I am not a great fan of pieces lifted from concerts as opposed to the whole concert. [ ... ]If you moved your talk back to fill up the gap, you could fit in the whole of Leif's Cheltenham concert (without interval of course).
                    That's true, but I think they have planned complete recitals for, um, Wednesdays and Fridays .
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

How about having a live young string quartet? Could play twice or thrice in the 3 hr slot? Showcase young ensembles?

Comment

How about a slot for the Next Generation Artists? Most of them are very good. It also will be good to invite newly started ensembles but they have to be GOOD.

It would be a good opportunity to introduce some new reviewers and presenters. There have been a number of very good reviewers on BAL recently. I am especially impressed by Jan Smaczy (an Early Music man ). I thought some of the regional presenters were very good. They are good ‘announcers’: unaffected by the ‘personality trend. Perhaps they could introduce some locally based artists but again they have to be GOOD. They can also be responsible for introducing their local music festival (I think this happens occasionally).

Comment

Never mind 'how about' and 'how about'. How about another three-hour programme including some of these new features? We might end up with a perfect week's programming (I've filled up my missing half hour)

Comment

I like the idea of regional very much.

Comment

what on earth does "regional" mean though ?
                              FWIW i would advocate the BBC getting rid of much of its "regional" focus (local radio, news from "our" region etc etc )

and I DON'T live in London

Comment

I took it to be a reference to Gracilinanus agilis, the agile gracile mouse opossum

"This particular species is occasionally found as stowaways in banana shipments"
                                Last edited by Bryn; 17-05-11, 21:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X