Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    It's simplistic to say so but one has to have the curiousity and desire to learn first. If you don't care a button what WoO or K or any of the other things mean you won't profit from it. Some must fall on stoney ground but some will awaken an interest and the BBC must keep up the education side of R3 imho.
    For me, saly, it all comes back to the comparison with cricket.

There are lots of arcane rules, masses of technical terms, different styles (from Test cricket over 5 days to 20:20 cricket which is over in a flash comparatively) BUT there are also lots of enthusiasts out there to help you to unravel it all. I love to listen to Test Match Special as much as I love to listen to the Proms, really.

[I can just imagine salymap rolling her eyes heavenwards and muttering 'MEN!' under her breath ]

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      For me, saly, it all comes back to the comparison with cricket.

There are lots of arcane rules, masses of technical terms, different styles (from Test cricket over 5 days to 20:20 cricket which is over in a flash comparatively) BUT there are also lots of enthusiasts out there to help you to unravel it all. I love to listen to Test Match Special as much as I love to listen to the Proms, really.

[I can just imagine salymap rolling her eyes heavenwards and muttering 'MEN!' under her breath ]
      No Am I have really tried to understand cricket but various men friends have never come down to my level of non-knowledge. Sorry, rather tortuous. I am sure it is fascinating really Ilove tennis though

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        No Am I have really tried to understand cricket but various men friends have never come down to my level of non-knowledge. Sorry, rather tortuous. I am sure it is fascinating really Ilove tennis though
        Me too - Wimbledon fortnight is one of the highlights of my year and the BBC coverage is superb imho

Comment

There is a difference between cricket and the BBC: the Laws of Cricket are published, the technicalities explained every day by commentators / journos / players etc.
          What is going on in terms of planning programmes for US in a corproration paid for by US and with interactive access points consciouisly enocuraged for US by the BBC, is that a lot of what goes on at the BBC is mostly done in degrees of secrecy, and curiosity, attempts to enquire / comment / offer suggestions are resisted, and feedback that does not congratulate seems for the most part to be from 'the wrong kind of listener'.

Ahem.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            There is a difference between cricket and the BBC: the Laws of Cricket are published, the technicalities explained every day by commentators / journos / players etc.
            What is going on in terms of planning programmes for US in a corproration paid for by US and with interactive access points consciouisly enocuraged for US by the BBC, is that a lot of what goes on at the BBC is mostly done in degrees of secrecy, and curiosity, attempts to enquire / comment / offer suggestions are resisted, and feedback that does not congratulate seems for the most part to be from 'the wrong kind of listener'.

Ahem.
            Just the one, Mrs Wembley?

I was looking at points of congruence, but you can't please some people {apparently}

Ahem y'self

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Ahem.
              One only has to tune into Jeremy Vine (yes, he of the cringeworthy election night cowboy stunt) Points of View programme on Sunday afternoons to get the full flavour of the BBC's attitude to their audience. Despite the mountain of invective heaped upon certain programmes through the BBC POV board it would appear that the producers of this estimable programme will inevitably unearth the one correspondent who does like it and if interviewed the BBC suit (or 3 day growth of beard as it is would appear is de rigeur these days) will always say something to the effect that the "overwhelming" response through emails is positive.
              There is indeed a curious wish to be "interactive" with their audience but only really on a "love me, love my stuff" basis. There would seem to be an inherent distrust of their customers - the customers who are paying their wages.
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

This morning's Breakfast ended with March to the Scaffold from Berlioz SF, and a movement from Mahler 2. This could easily have been found on tuning to CFM. The new 9-12 schedule will hopefully mean that we will have works such as these played in full, though not necessarily on the same day. Maybe BPO Otterloo for the Berlioz and SFSO Tilson-Thomas for the latter. Programme host of preference J Swain or A McGregor.

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  no more of a certain presenter's destruction of the English language.
                  I made a point of listening to the whole of Classical Collection this morning, as the playlist looked (and proved to be) quite interesting. In particular, I enjoyed hearing a recording of Finzi's Cello Concerto other than the one I own.
                  I'm the first to jump on what I consider to be misuse or abuse of the English language, but found absolutely no cause for complaint on that score at any point during the programme.
                  Perhaps 'a certain Forum member' got out of bed the wrong side shortly before sounding off so vehemently - yet coyly - ('a certain presenter', 'WTFDTM').
                  I trust that 'a certain Forum member' will soon offer us alternative proposals for conveying the information covered by the examples in his extraordinarily vituperative message. (SWALK)

Comment

Ofachap - brilliant response!

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                      I made a point of listening to the whole of Classical Collection this morning, as the playlist looked (and proved to be) quite interesting. In particular, I enjoyed hearing a recording of Finzi's Cello Concerto other than the one I own.
                      I'm the first to jump on what I consider to be misuse or abuse of the English language, but found absolutely no cause for complaint on that score at any point during the programme.
                      Perhaps 'a certain Forum member' got out of bed the wrong side shortly before sounding off so vehemently - yet coyly - ('a certain presenter', 'WTFDTM').
                      I trust that 'a certain Forum member' will soon offer us alternative proposals for conveying the information covered by the examples in his extraordinarily vituperative message. (SWALK)
                      I must say that I've been listening to large sections of CC recently and I would second your sentiments Ofca. I made a point of tuning in after "Marche Slave" ( a bĂȘte noire piece of mine) - but thereafter, I enjoyed what I heard. (Ofca, sadly you don't join us on the alphabet thread these days and I made some comments about it there). Sarah Walker has tempered her adjectival excesses, and the choice of music is often interesting. I even like the little Thursday quiz - do you think they've 'borrowed' the 'associations' idea? You must have heard it too - did you get them? I thought the first was Prokofiev and the second one was a toss-up between Bax and Delius Anyway, there's more to like about CC nowadays than there was a year ago...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

nice one on breakfast this morning. Text in to give a name to Beethoven op 70 no 2, the trio that isn't The Ghost

wasn't this the one they got into a bit of a muddle over the other day?

Radio 3 sending itself up?
                        Last edited by mercia; 20-05-11, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          nice one on breakfast this morning. Text in to give a name to Beethoven op 70 no 2, the trio that isn't The Ghost

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            Radio 3 sending itself up?
                            Sounds like it . NotTheGhost - just to enshrine the event in R3 legend?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Woo-hoooooo french frank

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                I must say that I've been listening to large sections of CC recently and I would second your sentiments Ofca. I made a point of tuning in after "Marche Slave" ( a bĂȘte noire piece of mine) - but thereafter, I enjoyed what I heard. (Ofca, sadly you don't join us on the alphabet thread these days and I made some comments about it there). Sarah Walker has tempered her adjectival excesses, and the choice of music is often interesting. I even like the little Thursday quiz - do you think they've 'borrowed' the 'associations' idea? You must have heard it too - did you get them? I thought the first was Prokofiev and the second one was a toss-up between Bax and Delius Anyway, there's more to like about CC nowadays than there was a year ago...
                                Not being endowed with false modesty (or a great deal of the real thing, for that matter), I might as well confess that I got all 4 pieces instantly. The fact that I happen to have recordings of all 4 may well have helped! As for your suggestion that they might have nicked the idea ...well!

Comment

Working...
                                X