No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
    Sad but true.

"Guess who's just come into the studio? It's Suzy Walker-Pietsch. Lovely to see you, Suzy. What have you got on the show for us today?"

"Well, I have a great line-up for you. There's lots of chat, competitions, trailers, phone-ins and my special guest - a very famous comedian talking about what Bolero means to him. And I'll be inviting listeners to text in about their favourite recordings of Bolero. There's even going to be some music - the BBC Kazoo Orchestra performing the opening bars of Bolero."

"Wonderful. I can hardly wait. But first, here's Andre Rieu's chart-topping arrangement of Bolero."
    You forgot Jenkins; no NOT the Jenkins that featured breifly on CC earlier this week, but the other one.

But come on; has it really descended to that level?...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      You forgot Jenkins; no NOT the Jenkins that featured breifly on CC earlier this week, but the other one. . . .
      Clive you mean?

Comment

But come on; has it really descended to that level?...
        But, come on: extracting the essentials from it, none of it hasn't happened, has it?

And my point remains - there isn't a single CD programme, not even once a week, where some of the rarer, or more demanding, works and performances (seldom performed live) are played. OTOH, the best-selling new releases are featured every week.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
          Clive you mean?
          Of course not. Karl, I mean(t).

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            But, come on: extracting the essentials from it, none of it hasn't happened, has it?

And my point remains - there isn't a single CD programme, not even once a week, where some of the rarer, or more demanding, works and performances (seldom performed live) are played. OTOH, the best-selling new releases are featured every week.
            No, none of it hasn't happened and your point does indeed remain, sadly and I really cannot bring myself to think that either fact can possibly do the future of R3 any favours. The concentration of StephenO's barb identifies it as a caricature, of course, but I accept that it is a caricature of something actual rather than imagined (and one cannot help but snigger at his character Suzy Walker-Pietsch, even if the reference to her might be thought to imply sexist overtones in the absence of counterbalance from a Martin McLeod-Gregor)...

Comment

(and one cannot help but snigger at his character Suzy Walker-Pietsch, even if the reference to her might be thought to imply sexist overtones in the absence of counterbalance from a Martin McLeod-Gregor)...
              Suzy was, of course, in conversation with Rob Jolly-Handley.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                Suzy was, of course, in conversation with Rob Jolly-Handley.

Comment

Lest anyone might think that the end is in sight for this thread (there having been no contributions to it in almost five days), it is duly noted that Jolly James appears to have had a facelift over the past weekend, as demonstrated by http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ as of this morning at 7.00 a.m.; does anyone consider this to be an improvement?

Comment

it is duly noted that Jolly James appears to have had a facelift over the past weekend, as demonstrated by http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ as of this morning at 7.00 a.m.; does anyone consider this to be an improvement?
                    Très jolie!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

apparently on CC this week we will hear a performance from Imogen Holst of her husband's music

James Jolly presents a selection of music associated with the Aldebrugh Festival.
                      Last edited by mercia; 06-06-11, 10:25. Reason: can't spell hear :doh:

Comment

It makes you weep for the future of R3 when you see tosh like that.
                        Who the hell let that one through???

I am just trying to imagine the processes at R3 HQ that could allow gaffes like that to get into the public domain!!??

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          It makes you weep for the future of R3 when you see tosh like that.
                          Who the hell let that one through???

I am just trying to imagine the processes at R3 HQ that could allow gaffes like that to get into the public domain!!??
                          My sense of optimism (which hasn't quite deserted me yet) prompts me to think that whoever it was did so in the expectation of generating knee-jerk responses of the kind that we've just seen here; any other explanation is surely too dire to contemplate...

Comment

'Appen, ahinton, but, oh! - that word 'authoritative' springs to mind

Comment

It's not knee-jerk. Alert listeners can be useful in drawing BBC people to factual errors.
                              BUT
                              judging by the fact that only three people have responded - thee, me and FF - indicates that many who may have seen it are just too wearily battered by previous gaffes on air / in print etc to care any more.

And that is worrying.

So we stop expecting R3 to be able to trust its apparatchiks to know enough about music etc to edit what is going out in its name, do we? And the answer seems to be increasingly 'yes'.

That bracket after 'Imogen Holst' was no typo, it was a deliberately written piece, thus inserted by someone at R3, trying to be heldpful, who did not know enough to realise it was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                It's not knee-jerk. Alert listeners can be useful in drawing BBC people to factual errors.
                                BUT
                                judging by the fact that only three people have responded - thee, me and FF - indicates that many who may have seen it are just too wearily battered by previous gaffes on air / in print etc to care any more.

And that is worrying.

So we stop expecting R3 to be able to trust its apparatchiks to know enough about music etc to edit what is going out in its name, do we? And the answer seems to be increasingly 'yes'.

That bracket after 'Imogen Holst' was no typo, it was a deliberately written piece, thus inserted by someone at R3, trying to be heldpful, who did not know enough to realise it was wrong.
                                I didn't intend to convey the idea that it actually was knee-jerk but that whoever may have been responsible for it might have considered it to be so.

Comment

Working...
                                X