• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The shape of Sunday Morning on 3

When the idea of playing the BAL choice on Sunday Morning (instead of Monday) was first announced, I thought it a good idea. However, I've changed my mind. Sunday morning, for me at least, is a time when Radio 3 can be on in the back- or foreground. While some pieces chosen to be the subject of BAL are of great interest, others will not be. Today provides one such example. I am not mad keen on Schubert's Fantaisie for Violin and Piano () and I would have preferred a continuation of Jonathan Swain's 'playlist' Other people will have other preferences...but the same principle applies. A Monday airing (when many may be at work) allowed for an i-player catch-up.

Any thoughts?
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    When the idea of playing the BAL choice on Sunday Morning (instead of Monday) was first announced, I thought it a good idea. However, I've changed my mind. Sunday morning, for me at least, is a time when Radio 3 can be on in the back- or foreground. While some pieces chosen to be the subject of BAL are of great interest, others will not be. Today provides one such example. I am not mad keen on Schubert's Fantaisie for Violin and Piano () and I would have preferred a continuation of Jonathan Swain's 'playlist' Other people will have other preferences...but the same principle applies. A Monday airing (when many may be at work) allowed for an i-player catch-up.

Any thoughts?
    It seems to make some sense to play the BaL recommendation on a Sunday, rather than after a 2 day break.It somehow seems to be more connected programming. I would also think that weekends might allow a greater number of people time for considered listening of full works, as I think you are suggesting. However, for an awful lot of people, iplayer really solves the problem if you really want to hear something in your own time.

As some people have suggested, BaL is a central R3 feature, so why not have the BaL recommendation in full on Sunday, and a "runner up" midweek ?
    Last edited by teamsaint; 08-01-17, 12:23.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      ...and "runner up" midweek ?
      Excellent idea, sir.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I prefer Sunday's format but these days o iPlayer etc, it really doesn't matter, surely?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Excellent idea, sir.

I tend to miss the broadcast since it moved to Sundays - last week was an exception, as it was an "unusual" Sunday, and I wanted to hear the Bruckner. But, as Bbm points out, with the i-Player, I can (and do) listen whenever it suits me within the following month.

So - no strong feelings either way - but I do like ts' suggestion of playing the runner(s) up sometime during the following week. (And, for longer pieces, spread the whole recommended performance over the week, perhaps?)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

a "runner up" midweek ?
            from me too.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I tend to be with Bbm on this: via iPlayer, I can play the choice as and when.
              The irony is that I make every effort to be ready to listen to RR at 9.00 a.m. every Saturday - sort of ritual. Gets left on if I have to be out for a bit. Oddly self-contradictory?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I have listened to several BAL choices in real time recently, inc. Bruckner and Schubert....am much less likely to to so on EC, unless it's raining heavily....fits in well with the Sunday morning routine at T Towers. Runner-up - great idea. Perhaps a contrasting runner-up - the historic choice - the Busch/Serkin, for example, rather than the Ibragimova which is the one I've ordered following the programme

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

the Busch/Serkin, for example
                  Yes, the all too brief extracts played on Sat. sounded incredible...two musical minds working in perfect synchrony.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

I suspect that what ardcarp's objection really comes down to is that he prefers Jonathan Swain's (and James Jolly's?) choice of music (and the Sunday morning format) to Rob Cowan's and Sarah Walker's (and the Essential Classics format), and would simply rather that the latter was disturbed by the BaL. That being the case, the fact that everything is iPlayable becomes less relevant.
                    If my suspicion is correct, then I'm inclined to agree with him!

Comment

Working...
                    X