Is it not PC nowadays to admit relationships?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it not PC nowadays to admit relationships?

Sarah Walker meandered around when mentioning Montserrat Figueras and her relationship with Jordi Savall in Essential Classics this morning in the introduction to a piece by Monteverdi this morning. They were married in 1968, so it's hardly surprising that they might have had some interests in common. Why so coy?

Perhaps it's because each artist is supposed to stand on his or her own merits, but why avoid stating the obvious when it may have had a significant effect, and presumably does no obvious harm to anyone?

Is this now BBC policy?

Actually Sarah did mention the relationship in the back announcement at the end of the piece, and perhaps this has been mentioned during the week as Jordi Savall is artist of the week, so it would have been over doing it to keep referring to it. If artists wish to,keep their relationships quiet that's surely up to them, but in the case of people who have had a declared legal relationship, and which seemed to be satisfactory, then does it not make sense to allow reference to this?

Well, Jordi himself is certainly not shy about talking about his late wife and family - when MF was still alive I remembering him saying how good it was working with people you loved. So any coyness certainly not of his making. And a glance at their Alla Vox website reveals the ghostly presiding spirit of Ms Figueras in the background (on the left).

Comment

What instrument are you learning and why?

I'm learning the drums. The reason: to gain some new perspectives on music, learning to listen out for things I've not noticed before. I also have a teacher on tap: my husband, Martin Pyne, who's a professional percussionist working in jazz and contemporary music.
      from http://www.classical-music.com/artic...s-sarah-walker

Comment

In the very same programme there was some mention of Gerald Finzi and the Du Pre family. New to me...but then I lead a sheltered life.

Comment

OTOH, we don't want R3 to degenerate into a radio version of Hello, Weekend or even Metro, do we?

Or to get into court disputes about issues which "everyone" knows (except usually me), and which the parties involved in the UK seemingly don't want known - yet in other countries everyman/woman and their metaphorical dogs know about due to the actions of an over eager press and media.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            OTOH, we don't want R3 to degenerate into a radio version of Hello, Weekend or even Metro, do we?

Or to get into court disputes about issues which "everyone" knows (except usually me), and which the parties involved in the UK seemingly don't want known - yet in other countries everyman/woman and their metaphorical dogs know about due to the actions of an over eager press and media.
            Absolutely agree.
            (Despite my potentially salacious post above.)

Comment

I'm learning the drums. The reason: to gain some new perspectives on music, learning to listen out for things I've not noticed before.

I'd NEVER admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                In the very same programme there was some mention of Gerald Finzi and the Du Pre family. New to me...but then I lead a sheltered life.
                I should have hoped that the revolting book du Pre's sister and brother wrote about her has faded from memory together with the film .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I should have hoped that the revolting book du Pre's sister and brother wrote about her has faded from memory together with the film .
                  What has not faded is the memory of the music from the film, played by Caroline Dale - what has happened to her - musically? I remember being thrilled when I first heard her, playing Haydn live, in Ellesmere Port.

Comment

Working...
                  X