• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

In Tune Mix Tape

Really love this new 'innocent ear' half-hour. Mrs A and I enjoy our own mixture of positive identification, guesswork, and utter bemusement. On week's holiday so have heard all this week's offerings.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Agreed 100%. One of the more interesting innovations from Radio 3

Comment

• Shahrazad
      • Sep 2011

I agree. No annoying banter just music.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Hate it. Just wallpaper.
        And the In Tune banter - hate that too, but at least then you knew what was being played.
        AND anyone who does NOT have access to R3 online has no idea what the music is - unless they have all-consuming music memories. How audience-friendly is that?

Instant switch off for me.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

If you can listen to Radio 3 through your TV set (channel 703 on Freeview and Freesat) the names of the pieces are shown as they are played.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Hate it. Just wallpaper.
            And the In Tune banter - hate that too, but at least then you knew what was being played.
            AND anyone who does NOT have access to R3 online has no idea what the music is - unless they have all-consuming music memories. How audience-friendly is that?

Instant switch off for me.
            We'll have to agree to differ on that one!

If you can listen to Radio 3 through your TV set (channel 703 on Freeview and Freesat) the names of the pieces are shown as they are played.
            What a spoiler!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

In the unlikely event that I'm asked what we think, I'll be able to say we hate it, it's just wallpaper, one of the more interesting innovations from Radio 3 and we love it. I think that sums it up succinctly.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Hence 'mix tape'.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I haven't listened because it didn't sound interesting to me. If I were listening to music for 30 minutes, I'd rather it was a single work. I don't need to be told what I'm listening to, but equally I don't want to engage in a guessing game. I'd be just as happy to remain in permanent ignorance.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
                    • Feb 2012

And it shouldn't be a staggering innovation that it is without trails, tweets, irritating introductions by presenters, etc. That's what Radio 3 should be like normally!!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
                      And it shouldn't be a staggering innovation that it is without trails, tweets, irritating introductions by presenters, etc. That's what Radio 3 should be like normally!!
                      It isn't even an innovation - I still remember Homeward Bound. The only difference(which I suppose could be called an innovation at a push) is the option to find out online the pieces played.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

But it's not an "innovation", though - it's a rejigging of Homeward Bound, an hour-long programme of unannounced, uninterrupted short pieces of Music which ran for year in the '70s and '80s and the return of which Forumista Stillhomewardbound yearned for regularly. Shwb hasn't posted on the Forum for (just over) a year, I notice - it would have been interesting to hear his views on this reincarnation. I hope he is well, and continuing to produce his video documentaries of the hidden histories of familiar (and often innocuous-looking) landmarks and places.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          It isn't even an innovation - I still remember Homeward Bound.
                          SNAP!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                            Agreed 100%. One of the more interesting innovations from Radio 3
                            They say there's nothing new under the Sun.

As far as I am concerned, the point is that extracts of well-known and well-loved (by some) works, when presented in an unfamiliar context, can be seen for their true worth, and do not evoke an"oh no, not that again" or " Composed by *************?? - I don't listen to him any more" reaction.

That's my personal view of the mixtape. That it has been done before in a different guise perhaps reinforces its value.
                            Last edited by Quarky; 01-11-17, 09:52.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Like LL says, no interruptions, bliss!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X