Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handel Organ Concerto on Essential Classics

The version played this morning seemed to have a first movement that lasted 5 times longer than usual.....and it was painfully slow.

I rather like the way Richard Eggar interprets this kind of music and his ensemble. They always seem to fo things right.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

There was a bit of controversy regarding Egarr's ornamentation at the time of the recording. He based it partly on on 18th Century barrel organ transcription. I too am fond of these and other Egarr recordings.

Comment

Maybe it's a BBC conspiracy to play a version sounding they think is so long-winded that listeners will complain about these "overly long works", giving the BBC an excuse to go back to bleeding chunks.

Comment

Relaxed was how it seemed to me, and at that particular stage of a difficult morning was just what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Maybe it's a BBC conspiracy to play a version sounding they think is so long-winded that listeners will complain about these "overly long works", giving the BBC an excuse to go back to bleeding chunks.
            I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories. But in this case, I wonder, hmmm!
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 15-11-17, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Relaxed was how it seemed to me, and at that particular stage of a difficult morning was just what I needed.
              Agreed. Beautifully paced and stylishly played. Egarr is a fine advocate of the 'it doesn't have to be fast to be HIP' school of thought.

Comment

Working...
              X