Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Well current practice isn't the way to achieve that.
    You know that, and I know that, but they apparently don't know that...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      You know that, and I know that, but they apparently don't know that...
      Well quite, but it makes me feel better to put the point across on something approaching a public platform; having it running round my head sure ain't going to achieve anything.
      Which reminds me, can anyone tell me - how does one communicate with those allegedly running the current apology for R3(as opposed to commenting on the programmes themselves)? I don't do twitbook and past attempts suggest that trying to achieve anything via the website is an unjustifiable waste of my time and energy.

Comment

I was quite interested to hear yesterday that (a) the second record played on Radio 1 on its first ever day in 1967 was Massachusetts by the Bee Gees (most people know that the first record was Flowers in the Rain by The Move) and (b) when R1 kicked off, Radio 2 was playing Julie Andrews singing The Sound of Music. Now it has all shifted to R2 and R3 respectively.

Flowers, the weather, place names, music itself in a manner of speaking. This was light broadcasting. A new music station today would start with a warning about knife crime, some sort of hammering noise with a lyric about body parts interspersed by bleeps and Bronx like vernacular and a 25 minute news bulletin concerning identity issues, Brexit and serious ill health.
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-03-18, 22:13.

Comment

Just caught up with the programme from a couple of weeks ago, with Angela Allen, script and continuity supervisor extraordinaire.... Absolutely fascinating. OK only tangentially concerned with music, but illustrated with good clips. Some might say it belongs more on Radio 4 or 2 but I don't really care. Just a very good radio programme.

Two weeks left to listen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09t2d3f

Comment

Some interesting and candid reminiscences from her, it deserved a spot on POTW.

Comment

What a boring composer Alexandre Desplats is

Sounds a lovely bloke, very successful, pupil of Xenakis etc etc.... but I'd already begun to be aware that his scores tend to be the kiss of death to my whole-hearted enjoyment of a film (Shape of Water being the latest example - Oscar-worthy? I think not! )...

...but the Sounds of Cinema programme devoted to his stuff confirmed it

Comment

Excellent programme on 'Post-War British Novelists' (19 May) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b39sh5

I had no idea that Richard Rodney Bennett submitted a score (to a very odd brief) for The Go-Between which was rejected by Losey, and that RRB subsequently had a go at Legrand and his score for the film as being "vulgar"....

Comment

Working...
                X