Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian Skelly says............

To a suggestion from a listener to play Stravinsky's "Circus Polka" to follow "The Swan",
    "we may play that but maybe we won't"............because the production team have already
    decided and lined up what to play and your emails and tweets are just there to pad out an
    already padded programme of waffle and a bit of music.
    Dear me, I thought IS might add a bit of dignity and humour to EC but instead it's just as vapid
    as before. Time gentlemen please!!!

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
    Dear me, I thought IS might add a bit of dignity and humour to EC
    You don't think that was a bit of Skelly humour? He has been known to read out an "unsuitable" choice and say fiirmly that it was NOT going to be played.

That's not to say he's managed to work any magic on EC: the Poisoned Chalice of R3
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

To a suggestion from a listener to play Stravinsky's "Circus Polka" to follow "The Swan",
      "we may play that but maybe we won't"............because the production team have already
      decided and lined up what to play and your emails and tweets are just there to pad out an
      Dear me, I thought IS might add a bit of dignity and humour to EC but instead it's just as vapid
      Hello Paulie - Are your quote marks in all the right places? Just checking, as I wonder how much of your post he actually said on air!

Thanks, kb
      Last edited by kernelbogey; 07-02-18, 11:43.

Comment

Day by day, minute by minute R3 becomes a dumbed-down CFM. Blimey.
        What is truly frightening is that they seem totally unaware of the clueleess profile IS is giving them.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Hello Paulie - Are your quote marks in all the right places? Just checking, as I wonder how much of your post he actually said on air!

Thans, kb
          Good point. I assumed he didn't say what wasn't in quotes! I took that to be Paulie55's own gloss on a throwaway comment?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well I asked for the Finale of Carnival of the Animals. I don't know what gave me that idea, but it just seemed a perfect fit. I think Saint-Saëns would approved too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Well I asked for the Finale of Carnival of the Animals.
              Why!? They'd just played CotA, hadn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Why!? They'd just played CotA, hadn't they?
                Yeah! I ain't gonna give up that easily.

The good news is they played a complete Mozart String Quartet just before the silly tweext game began.

Comment

Yeah! I ain't gonna give up that easily.

The good news is they played a complete Mozart String Quartet just before the silly tweext game began.

That is good news, but unfortunately it also serves to highlight the awfulness of the rest of the programme, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    That is good news, but unfortunately it also serves to highlight the awfulness of the rest of the programme, doesn't it?
                    It doesn't seem to take much to do that, methinks...

Comment

That takes it back to the days when the programme's USP was that they played a full-length work every day.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        That takes it back to the days when the programme's USP was that they played a full-length work every day.
                        Hiya french frank,

To change stations but to keep on a similar theme. Last night I was listening to Radio 2 and the presenter Sara Cox seem to spend most of the time between records reading out dedications with some concentrating on what people were or had been eating, as well as the enviable competitions. It's become a matey, gossip shop which could easily be so much better. Or maybe it always has?

Comment

Sorry to buck the trend but I like IS's way with the programme, he strikes me as companionable and humorous and well-suited to the format, although a full-length work every day would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            Sorry to buck the trend but I like IS's way with the programme, he strikes me as companionable and humorous and well-suited to the format, although a full-length work every day would be welcome.
                            .... and shock, horror I agree

Comment

Over recent months, maybe even years, R4 has tended to dominate in the morning chez nous. This morning I turned to R3. Truly dreadful. I hadn't realised EC had gotten this bad, though I quite liked the bird sequence which somebody might have thought was very clever. They could have thrown in a bit of Carmina Burana for good measure!

Comment

Working...
                              X