Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two hours of TTN to go to Nightingale and Slow Radio

Apologies for the double posting but this is being discussed on the What Birds... thread.
    Musicians recorded in the Sussex woods one night in April play music with nightingales.

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Apologies for the double posting but this is being discussed on the What Birds... thread.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1pgkm
    I don't know what to think about this.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1pgkm
      The Radio 3 schedule suggests that this will last for three hours.

Comment

I assume this is a one off?

Comment

Worth a listen
          Clive is a great Shakuhachi player

Comment

He is obviously completely ignorant about his ignorance about wildlife and happy to go along with this ‘anthropomorphic, anthropocentric’ nonsense.

#1257 -

Comment

But will it silence the nightingales rather than encourage them to sing?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A couple of posts from the discussion mentioned in the What Birds.... thread.

The musicians need to be careful not to fall foul of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, whereby it is an offence intentionally or recklessly to disturb nesting or nest-building birds. The reason birds sing in spring is to attract mates and protect their nests and territory, so, given Nightingales' skulking behaviour (they sing from within cover and are not easily seen), there must be a real danger of disturbance here, unless the musicians keep a respectful distance.

It just gets worse. "the nightingales, who gather there to sing at night each Spring"...they don't "gather" there , what do they think this is, a lek?
                Last edited by doversoul1; 03-05-18, 19:31.

Comment

A couple of posts from the discussion mentioned in the What Birds.... thread.

The musicians need to be careful not to fall foul of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, whereby it is an offence intentionally or recklessly to disturb nesting or nest-building birds. The reason birds sing in spring is to attract mates and protect their nests and territory, so, given Nightingales' skulking behaviour (they sing from within cover and are not easily seen), there must be a real danger of disturbance here, unless the musicians keep a respectful distance.

It just gets worse. "the nightingales, who gather there to sing at night each Spring"...they don't "gather" there , what do they think this is, a lek?
                  From memory, and my apologies if this is misinterpretation, Global Truth thinks Sam Lee is over-exposed on R3; I have never heard John Corrigan discussing him at length; and while I find him ok I am not his biggest fan. Perhaps, then, the musical question from our neck of the woods might be "where is the folk music following for it?". Then there is the ornithological aspect which I have read and can only leave to the experts. What I sense, though, is that some of that is being pegged on to some annoyance about disruption to TTN. Administratively, I am surprised that they can shorten TTN given it is syndicated internationally and presumably packaged. It's a good programme. But I don't in principle mind them doing innovative one-offs as per Mr GG in parts of its time if the timing is appropriate. For example, I'd settle for an hour of birds alone on occasion or the rustle of the trees or the waves of the sea.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    The Radio 3 schedule suggests that this will last for three hours.
                    Some years ago, on holiday in Provence I heard a nightingale sing for a considerable period of time in the middle of the night - I thought, initially 'How wonderful!' - after a while I thought 'Please may I sleep?'.

Comment

Working...
                    X