Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another ‘Come join me’: Classical Fix

I cam across this while trying to work out what was happening to Early Music Late.

Started 16th July.
    Classical Fix is Radio 3's new programme and podcast, designed for music fans who are curious about classical music and want to give it a go, but don't know where to start. Each week Clemency will curate a bespoke playlist of six tracks for her guest, who will then join her to discuss their impressions of their brand new classical music discoveries
    […]
    What will this Led Zeppelin superfan make of Clemmie's classical playlist?

List of the guests

I’d have thought already enough hours were spent on ‘the beginners’.

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    I cam across this while trying to work out what was happening to Early Music Late.

Started 16th July.
    Classical Fix is Radio 3's new programme and podcast, designed for music fans who are curious about classical music and want to give it a go, but don't know where to start. Each week Clemency will curate a bespoke playlist of six tracks for her guest, who will then join her to discuss their impressions of their brand new classical music discoveries
    […]

List of the guests

A weekly half-hour programme starting at midnight? Hardly over-doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Three hours x five mornings seems more than enough to me.

Comment

Started 16th July.
        […]

List of the guests

What curate? Which denomination? From which parish?

But I agree it's start.
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 08-08-18, 19:33.

Comment

'Bespoke playlist'? What the HECK is that?
          If SHE is 'curating' it, how can it be 'bespoke'????

W1A is with us. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Comment

'Classical Fix': nominative determinism?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Hardly worth doing?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oh come on guys, everyone gotta start somewhere.... I rather like any idea of innocent ear type listening... I'll try to find some of this and have a go....if I have a meaningful comment I'll tell you.

bluestateprommer made the point recently that it's no use this forum complaining too much about routine Proms-programming if it fails to listen (or at least mention listening to) new/recent music when it's there..eg the Prom at the Roundhouse (mea culpa, but I wasn't well)...
                I was surprised how few people here commented on The Brandenburg Project, for example, and not just because I decided to plunge in myself. It was amazing.

Same with this sort of ​entry point...
                Radio 3 absolutely needs innovation, but if you don't like this podcast, at least support the higher-quality kind....

As for CURATE.....
                The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

It does (shock horror) have more than one meaning (from the Latin, Care...which KLM seem to know!)...
                Might be interesting to see just how long ago it was first used of art exhibitions etc..

(BTW, if your tailoring is bespoke, its maker really cared ​about making it....)..

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  'Bespoke playlist'? What the HECK is that?
                  If SHE is 'curating' it, how can it be 'bespoke'????

W1A is with us. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
                  Quite easily I would have thought. Find out a bit about the person for whom you are compiling a playlist, then use your knowledge of 'classical' music to put together a curated playlist. It will be bespoke because it will be specific to that person.
                  To me it sounds an interesting idea, although unless it's strongly promoted and signposted from the guest's home ground I wonder how many of the intended audience it will reach and, linked to that, is R3 the best place for it? It is evident from this forum that many have wide-ranging musical tastes, interests and knowledge so I'm not sure that the need to broaden musical horizons is greater on R3 than other platforms?

Comment

The ‘guests’ are:

6 Music Breakfast show host
                    Radio 1 DJ and Live Lounge host
                    Asian Network
                    Radio presenter best known for her work on BBC Radio 1
                    Radio 1 presenter

As french frank always points out, and I’m sure teamsaint will confirm it, if you want to promote a product, you take it to where the target customers are, not stay at home and do a bit of demonstration with things/music/ personalities that are known to the target customers.

Comment

As french frank always points out, and I’m sure teamsaint will confirm it, if you want to promote a product, you take it to where the target customers are, not stay at home and do a bit of demonstration with things/music/ personalities that are known to the target customers.
                      Yes, why can't Clemmie do the rounds of R1, 1Xtra, R2, 6music, Asian Network with her programme, publicising R3 to the masses? Proselytising. Evangelising. What's the point of introducing Radio 3 listeners to these people?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The ‘guests’ are:

6 Music Breakfast show host
                        Radio 1 DJ and Live Lounge host
                        Asian Network
                        Radio presenter best known for her work on BBC Radio 1
                        Radio 1 presenter

Lots of people will listen to the unfamiliar if it is introduced to them by people they know and trust.
                        There are probably lots of folks who will follow some of these people (in the same way that many so-called "Classical Music" folks would have listened to Daniel Barenboim's Reith Lectures on R4).
                        This seems a good idea to me and there is some interesting music being played
                        "What's not to love"?

(though i'm sure old Drogo Malcontent will find lot's to complain about )

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Yes, why can't Clemmie do the rounds of R1, 1Xtra, R2, 6music, Asian Network with her programme, publicising R3 to the masses? Proselytising. Evangelising. What's the point of introducing Radio 3 listeners to these people?
                          CONTEXT innit

(I always say that and you always say what you just said. If we didn't the crops would die in the fields and we would have to sacrifice another policeman on the hills outside Plockton)

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ...and to use that dreadful word - if it's trending with them then it's cool!

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Lots of people will listen to the unfamiliar if it is introduced to them by people they know and trust.
                              There are probably lots of folks who will follow some of these people (in the same way that many so-called "Classical Music" folks would have listened to Daniel Barenboim's Reith Lectures on R4).
                              This seems a good idea to me and there is some interesting music being played
                              "What's not to love"?

(though i'm sure old Drogo Malcontent will find lot's to complain about )
                              Some people may follow the people they know and trust if by sheer chance they find out about a programme presented by the people they know and trust in a foreign CONTEXT but lots of people will listen to unfamiliar music if it is introduced to them by people they know and trust in their home ground. They won't mind a presenter from R3 if s/he is a guest of the people they know etc.. on their own stations.

COMMON SENSE innit.
                              Last edited by doversoul1; 09-08-18, 09:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X