Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aft er no on Con cer t

I knew Afternoon Concert was getting bitty, but why is Káťa Kabanová split over 3 afternoons? (It's not that long, Mackerras & Söderström = ~140mins / 2 CDs.)
    Think I'll wait for the omnibus (ninety-seven horsepower, ting ting).

What next? The Ring Cycle in 10 minute chunks, liberally spread over 5 months?

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    I knew Afternoon Concert was getting bitty, but why is Káťa Kabanová split over 3 afternoons? (It's not that long, Mackerras & Söderström = ~140mins / 2 CDs.)

I noticed a few years back that Radio 4 broadcast Shakespeare's Henry V over five days - I assumed one act per day. Could only think, oh, well, perhaps a few more people will listen who otherwise wouldn't have bothered. But that was Radio 4 …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes I missed the transition from Act One to the Maconchy Piano Concerto and was left thoroughly confused!

Comment

They tried a similar gimmick earlier in the year with some of the Easter music, and it's perhaps a follow on from the "take a concert recording, split it up, then insert all sorts of other (unrelated)bits and pieces between the component parts" approach started some time ago.
        I wondered about the decision process that came up with Saint-Saens oboe concerto and Maconchey piano concertino fore and aft. As with most AC broadcasts now there doesn't seem to be any connection - but then I am a higgorant soul in matters musical so perhaps it's just R3 highbrow and beyond me?

Comment

The Beeb never stop when they’re requested!

However they’ll probably latch on to your idea to Ring in the New Year!

Comment

The nearest to that I've had was standing in the Arena for Pars ifal over two nights at the Proms in 1972 with Pierre Boulez. I lapped it up, of course, but had been unable to persuade anyone to go with me. One of very few times over the decades that I have attended a concert on my own.

Comment

They’ve already done that, spread over 10 days, but at least it was an act at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X