Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awful, between tracks, sound torture & boredom

I switched to radio 3 this morning around 8.15am to be greeted by an awful sound. Route marching in squelchy wellingtons on scratchy vinyl? Is this extreme modernism? The DJ didn't bother telling us,... alluded to "everyday sounds". Imagine spending everyday with squelchy wellingtons . No excuse for playing this once, never mind several times between tracks. Why are radio 3 torturing us?... Then another boring choral piece, then my active speaker crashed (hurrah!)

Originally posted by Mal View Post
    I switched to radio 3 this morning around 8.15am to be greeted by an awful sound. Route marching in squelchy wellingtons on scratchy vinyl? Is this extreme modernism? The DJ didn't bother telling us,... alluded to "everyday sounds". Imagine spending everyday with squelchy wellingtons . No excuse for playing this once, never mind several times between tracks. Why are radio 3 torturing us?... Then another boring choral piece, then my active speaker crashed (hurrah!)
    I feel obliged to check this out. As per usual for that time of day, I was tuned to Today on Radio 4 which often has more interesting items on music than Radio 3's Breakfast does.

Comment

Unclassified, Unconnected then? Or just Malfunction!

Comment

It was described as the "Saturday Sound", presumably a regular thing. On this occasion it was a recording made by a listener of them walking through snow in Tromso.

Comment

Ah: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xx3t7

As to the specific 8:15 sounds, there's no business like snow business.

Comment

A comment from my partner, who's the one who usually uses the car to get to some meetings, albeit often at the same time of day (before 9).
            Fairly random survey, but more often than not, if he switches R3 on he hears chat (and switches to CFM), whereas CFM is more usually at least playing music.

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
              It was described as the "Saturday Sound", presumably a regular thing. On this occasion it was a recording made by a listener of them walking through snow in Tromso.
              Same happens on Sunday. I'm happy to listen to Martin Handley - as part of a relaxed start to Sunday morning, but I turn it off for about 10 minutes when they start these sound segments - its gone too far for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                A comment from my partner, who's the one who usually uses the car to get to some meetings, albeit often at the same time of day (before 9).
                Fairly random survey, but more often than not, if he switches R3 on he hears chat (and switches to CFM), whereas CFM is more usually at least playing music.
                And with its severe dynamic compression, 'Car Sick' FM is best suited to in-car listening.

Comment

Reminds me that one way of recreating walking through grass used to be through rhythmically scrunching tape waste close to the mic. Another harmless pleasure destroyed by digital. Can’t see much point broadcasting this on a music station except as part of a drama or feature . The cynic in me suggests it’s all about saving money,

Comment

Surely people have realised by now that when the BBC have a stupid idea, they will carry on repeating it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      And with its severe dynamic compression, 'Car Sick' FM is best suited to in-car listening.
                      I can't remember when I last knowingly switched it on at home, that's for sure.
                      But I really don't object too much when travelling, that's true, as even music from my iPod can be pretty inaudible unless it's chunky baroque-type stuff (Brandenburgs, for example).

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                        Same happens on Sunday. I'm happy to listen to Martin Handley - as part of a relaxed start to Sunday morning, but I turn it off for about 10 minutes when they start these sound segments - its gone too far for me.
                        I liked the bells recordings on Sunday mornings. They conjured up pleasant memories or mental pictures, and the music chosen to follow on was often interesting. The wider subject listener contribution was OK for a limited number of outings or as an occasional offering but expanding it outside the original slot and keeping it going long past its even vaguely useful life has been a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          I liked the bells recordings on Sunday mornings. They conjured up pleasant memories or mental pictures, and the music chosen to follow on was often interesting. The wider subject listener contribution was OK for a limited number of outings or as an occasional offering but expanding it outside the original slot and keeping it going long past its even vaguely useful life has been a big mistake.
                          Sunday morning church bells are a feature of Radio 4: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jbyg

Comment

Saturday morning Breakfast is a no-no here.

Comment

I'm with Cage on such sounds:

This summer I’m going to give a class in mushroom
                              identification at the New School for Social Research.
                              Actually, it’s five field trips, not really a class
                              at all. However, when I proposed it to Dean Clara
                              Mayer, though she was delighted with the idea, she
                              said, “I’ll have to let you know later whether or not
                              we’ll give it.” So she spoke to the president who
                              couldn’t see why there should be a class in mushrooms
                              at the New School. Next she spoke to Professor MacIvor
                              who lives in Piermont. She said, “What do you think
                              about our having a mushroom class at the New School?”
                              He said, “Fine idea. Nothing more than mushroom
                              identification develops the powers of observation.”
                              This remark was relayed both to the president and to
                              me. It served to get the class into the catalogue and
                              to verbalize for me my present attitude towards
                              music: it isn’t useful, music isn’t, unless it
                              develops our powers of audition. But most musicians
                              can’t hear a single sound, they listen only to the
                              relationship between two or more sounds. Music for
                              them has nothing to do with their powers of audition,
                              but only to do with their powers of observing
                              relationships. In order to do this, they have to
                              ignore all the crying babies, fire engines, telephone
                              bells, coughs, that happen to occur during their
                              auditions. Actually, if you run into people who are
                              really interested in hearing sounds, you’re apt to
                              find them fascinated by the quiet ones. “Did you hear
                              that?” they will say
                              Emphasis added by yours truly.

Comment

Working...
                              X