• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new subject for debate Tom McKinney

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      A new subject for debate Tom McKinney
      I quite like him, a breath of fresh air as far as I am concerned. I wonder if his appearance on Essential Classics this week is a one-off or if he is going to be sharing it with Georgia Mann?

Comment

I still prefer my original title to this thread - a programme surely on the wrong station. Outside of Record Review, the occasional afternoon concert that catches my eye and the Proms I cannot remember when I last listened to Radio 3. The morning schedule is such a turn off that I don't stay listening to it like one once did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
          I quite like him, a breath of fresh air as far as I am concerned. I wonder if his appearance on Essential Classics this week is a one-off or if he is going to be sharing it with Georgia Mann?
          Yes he’s just delivered a first rate Tárrega pronunciation followed by the even trickier Recuerdos De La Alhambra. It’s even trickier to play which Tom no doubt does immaculately…

Comment

Sounds to be one of the good guys! Appears to have a good musical background and knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Sounds to be one of the good guys! Appears to have a good musical background and knowledge!
              Indeed cloughers - IMVVHO

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The morning schedule is such a turn off that I don't stay listening to it like one once did.
                I dip in and out according to mood; but I have become quite a fan of Petroc, who seems to get the weekday show just right IMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  ...- a programme surely on the wrong station.
                  I'm afraid it is you who is the wrong listener on the station at these times - the BBC tho currently licence driven is in reality a wannabe commercial and in near future under the current KulturSec will became a real commercial radio station where the important factor is number of ears available for sale. Enjoy the bits you can tolerate - it won't last long as a broadcast medium - online the rules are different - not only your ears but your whole life is up for sale to the highest bidders none of which, being usually American, are interested in anything other than the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I dip in and out according to mood; but I have become quite a fan of Petroc, who seems to get the weekday show just right IMV.
                    They play full works now presumably?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      I mostly like listening to whole works but would not be dogmatic about never playing just part of a work. (Much though I appreciate Gurnemanz's orations, I don't always listen to all of Parsifal at one sitting.) I don't listen to EC that often because I don't enjoy someone else making the choice as to which chunks to play. It might be different if they published a playlist as a basis for you to decide whether to tune in or not.

Comment

Comment

A lot of people (most people?) seem to find that a presenter can turn an otherwise "unRadio 3-like" (tbd) programme into something listenable. Others (unquantifiable) don't, and I agree with Frances_iom, those listeners are on the wrong station. A bit like being evicted to make room for other tenants.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            A lot of people (most people?) seem to find that a presenter can turn an otherwise "unRadio 3-like" (tbd) programme into something listenable. Others (unquantifiable) don't, and I agree with Frances_iom, those listeners are on the wrong station. A bit like being evicted to make room for other tenants.
                            The evictions are spreading to Afternoon Concert, which is now beginning to resemble a buffet put on by someone with little experience of catering or what works together taste-wise(sound-wise in this context), and only an approximate partially complete menu to choose from. At least with the morning schedules we know there is no menu, other than certain specials (Playlist challenge, Sounds of the Earth etc) which appear at roughly the same time each day/on certain days.

Comment

I totally agree, I would actually be very happy for Tom McKinney to completely replace Georgia Mann!

Comment

I think Georgia does a good job and Tom is first rate too. No complaints about either.

Comment

Working...
                                X