Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Adam's ale can be quite refreshing at times, but (knowing Roger: memories of The Brewery Tap at the top of Christmas Steps) I suspect a typo here.
    The Brewery Tap! My 2nd home! Smiles Brewery, a landmark in the 'real ale' revival movement of the mid-70s....not to mention Butcombe (my second choice) who now own it.

Yes, the most irritating 'feature' of my new tablet is it's I-know-better-than-you autocorrect, which I cannot seem to kill off. Guilty though to Blythe/Blyth....I've never been able to remember which is which, and I'm sure I'll make the same mistake in the future!....especially after a pint or two of Adam's!

Edit. There, it's done it again! I definately wrote its (the possessive), but, it's corrected it! Its really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

The Brewery Tap! My 2nd home! Smiles Brewery, a landmark in the 'real ale' revival movement of the mid-70s....not to mention Butcombe (my second choice) who now own it.

Yes, the most irritating 'feature' of my new tablet is it's I-know-better-than-you autocorrect, which I cannot seem to kill off. Guilty though to Blythe/Blyth....I've never been able to remember which is which, and I'm sure I'll make the same mistake in the future!....especially after a pint or two of Adam's!

Edit. There, it's done it again! I definately wrote its (the possessive), but, it's corrected it! Its really annoying.
      It’s Adnams - The brewery based in Southwold which is having quite a tough time at the moment financially. It has pretty much a monopoly in local pubs. Have to say I much prefer the beers brewed by Green Jack - a brewery in Lowestoft - the very untrendy town (though having something of a Renaissance ) where Britten was born.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

It’s Adnams - The brewery based in Southwold which is having quite a tough time at the moment financially. It has pretty much a monopoly in local pubs. Have to say I much prefer the beers brewed by Green Jack - a brewery in Lowestoft - the very untrendy town (though having something of a Renaissance ) where Britten was born.
        Yes, I'm well aware 'It's Adnams', having drunk it in most of the pubs in Southwold - as recently as last month in The Lord Nelson, probably my favourite - and having done the brewery tour.

The reference to 'Adam's' goes back to Pulcinella's generous assumption that it was a 'typo' on my part - he used to proofread my newsletter and therefore knows my limitations....misremembering the name of a beer is not one of them!

Comment

Sorry to go off-topic but now that the extended Breakfast goes from 6.30-9.30, the extended EC from 9.30 until 13.00 and Classical Live from 13.00-16.00, it means more than nine pretty insipid hours in a row of mixed bags of jelly babies, liquorice allsorts and dolly mixture - punctuated at regular intervals with the regular features we love. And followed later by two and a half hours of In Tune and Classical Mixtape.

It's so cheap R3 will be paying back half its budget to the BBC.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Sorry to go off-topic .
            Sorry! I thought the discussion of our national drink preferable to the mixed bag of sweetmeats on offer at the moment....I've just added my bon-bon to the Playlist in the form of Roger-Ducasse's Petit Suite (Sweet?)

Comment

Sorry! I thought the discussion of our national drink preferable to the mixed bag of sweetmeats on offer at the moment....I've just added my bon-bon to the Playlist in the form of Roger-Ducasse's Petit Suite (Sweet?)
              Well done!

I was just checking the genome for 2000. On January 11 there were 9 separate programmes (before In Tune, introduced by Sean Rafferty!), most of them pretty tightly focused, then the evening concert (LSO live under Colin Davis). Later there was Night Waves, Late Junction, Jazz Notes (Jimmy, Percy and Albert Heath at Ronnies Scott's) - before TTN began at midnight.

That was "my" Radio 3. BBC can't afford sustained excellence now.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well done!

I was just checking the genome for 2000. On January 11 there were 9 separate programmes (before In Tune, introduced by Sean Rafferty!), most of them pretty tightly focused, then the evening concert (LSO live under Colin Davis). Later there was Night Waves, Late Junction, Jazz Notes (Jimmy, Percy and Albert Heath at Ronnies Scott's) - before TTN began at midnight.

That was "my" Radio 3. BBC can't afford sustained excellence now.
                I think, perhaps, the 80s, 90s and early 2000s were the best decades for 'sustained excellence'

'My' Radio 3 started mid 70s and I distinctly remember it being a mixed bag of sport (cricket took over, I think on AM and then FM for a while for most of the day!). There were children's programmes...I think Pied Piper was one, and Open University at 5pm rings a bell.

But, as you say, 2000 seems particularly varied and excellent - was this under Roger Wright?

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I know that part of Suffolk very well as a relative has a holiday home there. One of those places where you can combine having a pint at a riverside pub and birdwatch. I don’t know the string quartets - must have a listen . They were a very interesting couple - her reputation seems to be eclipsing his.
                  Doreen Carwithen/Mary Alwyn is one of the composers covered in the recent book 'Quartet'. It is hard to tell what she might have achieved if he hadn't taken over her life to the extent he did. A lot of what she wrote was film music which was very tied to precise moments in the film it accompanied and for that reason might not work well in the concert hall.

Comment

I think, perhaps, the 80s, 90s and early 2000s were the best decades for 'sustained excellence'

'My' Radio 3 started mid 70s and I distinctly remember it being a mixed bag of sport (cricket took over, I think on AM and then FM for a while for most of the day!). There were children's programmes...I think Pied Piper was one, and Open University at 5pm rings a bell.

But, as you say, 2000 seems particularly varied and excellent - was this under Roger Wright?
                    It was the early years of Roger Wright. He took over in Nov 1998 and had some good ideas then, and the years after 2000 were golden years for Drama on 3. But in the end he succumbed to managerialism. Same with Alan Davey with a shorter honeymoon. Sam Jackson seems to have dispensed altogether with the idea of making a good start. He's just taken on the hatchet job to cut R3's costs with day-long flock wallpaper. Many people like flock wallpaper, of course ...

Yes, Radio 3 once had Test Match Special, Open University and Schools programmes. TTN moved towards proper 24-hour Radio 3 (improved for insomniacs when the 3am Schools programmme was dropped). It's now been dumped with other types of ... I'd say 'rubbisjh' but some people like flock wallpaper, as I've said.

Comment

I suppose one could deduce an occupiers musical taste from their wall coverings.

In my 'bed-sit' days (in Clifton!) Hendrix posters on wood chip and emulsion. My first owner/occupier flat, I aspired to William Morris and started my art collection. Now my cottage has a lived in grubbiness, with nothing covering the walls but age...and the art collection which is taking over. Musical taste? Hasn't changed that much!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        Petroc's dong his best to help promote J S Bach just before 0700 5 times a week!
                        Petroc's always had a good bark.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

He Offen uses it!

Comment

Petroc's dong his best to help promote J S Bach just before 0700 5 times a week!
                            I'm afraid that the accidental typo made me laugh too much. Hope he hasn't sent a picture.

Caught the glorious Manze / Podger / AAM Bach double concerto on Music "Live" while brewing a cuppa - more please.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Oh dear! I can't remember whether I meant to say 'doing' or 'done'.

Comment

Oh dear! I can't remember whether I meant to say 'doing' or 'done'.
                                Petroc's clearly a secret bell-ringer

Comment

Working...
                                X