• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Not directly related to this thread but I imagine it comes from the same place; we were told after the one o'clock news by an announcer, Mark Forest, that he would be guiding us through the afternoon entertainment.
    How else would you persuade anyone to listen?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Today’s Early Music Show was no afternoon entertainment. Here was Inside Music if anybody at Radio3 needs to be reminded.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Not directly related to this thread but I imagine it comes from the same place; we were told after the one o'clock news by an announcer, Mark Forest, that he would be guiding us through the afternoon entertainment.
        The navigation didn't include 'The Organist Entertains' at 4pm though did it? Although I suppose that nice Mr Roderick William's slot could count as light entertainment.....

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Today’s Early Music Show was no afternoon entertainment. Here was Inside Music if anybody at Radio3 needs to be reminded.
          Ironic(and sad) that something rather misleadingly (and misguidedly in my view)called a Show now stands out in th'increasing gloom as the kind of programme that R3 should be broadcasting.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

The Guardian

Inside Music is shaping up to be an enjoyable addition to Saturday listening on Radio 3. Each week, a musician takes the listener inside several pieces, revealing why they are significant to them and how composers achieve those moments that stop you in your tracks. Conductor Nicholas Collon recently gave several interesting insights into music as diverse as Ravel’s La Valse and Haydn’s Symphony No 92. He also championed the music of Marie Jaëll (left), who – like so many female composers – has not had the recognition she deserves. See if you agree by catching the programme on iPlayer.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

The Guardian

Inside Music is shaping up to be an enjoyable addition to Saturday listening on Radio 3. Each week, a musician takes the listener inside several pieces, revealing why they are significant to them and how composers achieve those moments that stop you in your tracks. Conductor Nicholas Collon recently gave several interesting insights into music as diverse as Ravel’s La Valse and Haydn’s Symphony No 92. He also championed the music of Marie Jaëll (left), who – like so many female composers – has not had the recognition she deserves. See if you agree by catching the programme on iPlayer.

Well if The Guardian's happy that's alright then isn't it....

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Today's guest presenter (she's a REAL gabbler, I'm afraid) has just told us that, in 'Erlkoenig', father and son are walking, which hardly squares with the German 'Wer reitet so schnell'. Presumably this means that they get caught more easily.....
                ...and Radio3's schedule page tells us:
                Franz Liszt
                Der Erlkonig
                Performer: Evgeny Kissin. Music Arranger: Franz Schubert.
                Soprano Claire Booth introduces a colourful selection of music - from the inside.
                Last edited by doversoul1; 06-05-18, 20:06.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

...and Radio3's schedule page tells you:
                  Franz Liszt
                  Der Erlkonig
                  Performer: Evgeny Kissin. Music Arranger: Franz Schubert.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b0wlh1

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    indeed. Yesterday we had Matthew Barley aka Mr Viktoria Mullova which was quite interesting from the little I heard.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Yesterday we had Matthew Barley aka Mr Viktoria Mullova which was quite interesting from the little I heard.
                      I had no idea he was one of Claudio Abbado's successors...

The bit I heard was quite interesting too, I didn't know he'd been a player in Tennstedt's LPO, and the recollections of Klaus were touching. But odd to reminisce about an LPO/Tennstedt performance of Janacek's Sinfonietta, and then follow it with an extract - played by the VPO and Mackerras .... Why not use the live LPO/Tennstedt recording?
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The bit I heard was quite interesting too, I didn't know he'd been a player in Tennstedt's LPO, and the recollections of Klaus were touching. But odd to reminisce about an LPO/Tennstedt performance of Janacek's Sinfonietta, and then follow it with an extract - played by the VPO and Mackerras .... Why not use the live LPO/Tennstedt recording?
                        indeed. No idea. One of my great regrets is that I only know KT from recordings - I was separated by sea from his heyday with the LPO.....

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

I had no idea he was one of Claudio Abbado's successors...

Hello Caliban,

I couldn't work out why it wasn't played either. An ideal segue missed!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

What an interesting, articulate and generally excellent presenter Paul Lewis is (currently on)
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

What an interesting, articulate and generally excellent presenter Paul Lewis is (currently on)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

He arguably made the most intelligent contributions to Any Questions this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X