X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I'm not sure whether today's guest is 'notable', but he came across as a 'fun guy' with a genuine interest in, and exhaustive knowledge of, magic mushrooms.
    Given the increasing interest in fungi I think he may in due course become notable - beyond the academic.I wanted to hear this but plans had to change this morning. His book is still on my list to get from the library, so this is a useful reminder to actually get it off the "to do" and onto the "done" list!
    More here
    The study of fungi has long been overshadowed by more glamorous scientific quests. But biologist Merlin Sheldrake is on a mission to change that

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Given the increasing interest in fungi I think he may in due course become notable - beyond the academic.I wanted to hear this but plans had to change this morning. His book is still on my list to get from the library, so this is a useful reminder to actually get it off the "to do" and onto the "done" list!
      More here
      https://www.theguardian.com/science/...is-on-the-rise
      You'll be inviting a mushroom to your next party, I presume.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Today's 'Private Passions' is proving to be a triumphant vindication - were one needed - of the decision to give Michael Berkeley and his guests an extra 30 minutes. Forensic scientist Professor Sue Black's insights are sometimes almost unbearably moving, often upsetting, but also strangely comforting.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Today's 'Private Passions' is proving to be a triumphant vindication - were one needed - of the decision to give Michael Berkeley and his guests an extra 30 minutes. Forensic scientist Professor Sue Black's insights are sometimes almost unbearably moving, often upsetting, but also strangely comforting.
          Was this re-edited to make it longer because I’m sure I heard this episode some months ago ?

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Was this re-edited to make it longer because I’m sure I heard this episode some months ago ?
            First broadcast today, according to the BBC Genome. However, I suppose it's possible that this was the first broadcast in this version, and I did wonder whether future repeats might comprise original broadcasts expanded to fill the new, longer slot.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

First broadcast today, according to the BBC Genome. However, I suppose it's possible that this was the first broadcast in this version, and I did wonder whether future repeats might comprise original broadcasts expanded to fill the new, longer slot.
              I’ve definitely heard the interview before - difficult to forget - bit cheeky saying it’s a new programme.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

There was a forensic soil scientist on a while back... I didn't listen to this episode so I can't comment, but I did do a double check when the word "forensic" caught my eye in the listings.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I’ve definitely heard the interview before - difficult to forget - bit cheeky saying it’s a new programme.
                  Good memory? She was on Desert Island Discs in 2015. DID for the non-classical, PP for the (mainly) classical lollipos.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Good memory? She was on Desert Island Discs in 2015. DID for the non-classical, PP for the (mainly) classical lollipos.
                    ... and Woman's Hour in December 2022. Or The Life Scientific in 2014. I wonder if any of her programmes have been repeated on 4extra?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It’s definitely an extended repeat as I remember all the incidents and I very , very rarely listen to Radio 4.
                      An extended repeat counts as a new programme so it’s a good way of adding to your origination hours.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

I found the programme with the writer Olivia Laing today very rewarding. Her. music choices included Handel and The Pet Shop Boys, Brian Eno and William Basinski.

Edit: She's the author of seven books (six non-fiction), a former assistant literary editor at The Observer, trained as a medical herbalist, and dropped out of university in order to live in a tree protest. I can't wait to read one of her books.
                        Last edited by kernelbogey; 24-06-24, 06:26.

Comment

Working...
                        X