Private Passions

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by LMcD View Post

    I'm not sure whether today's guest is 'notable', but he came across as a 'fun guy' with a genuine interest in, and exhaustive knowledge of, magic mushrooms.
    Given the increasing interest in fungi I think he may in due course become notable - beyond the academic.I wanted to hear this but plans had to change this morning. His book is still on my list to get from the library, so this is a useful reminder to actually get it off the "to do" and onto the "done" list!
    More here
    The study of fungi has long been overshadowed by more glamorous scientific quests. But biologist Merlin Sheldrake is on a mission to change that

    Comment


      Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

      Given the increasing interest in fungi I think he may in due course become notable - beyond the academic.I wanted to hear this but plans had to change this morning. His book is still on my list to get from the library, so this is a useful reminder to actually get it off the "to do" and onto the "done" list!
      More here
      https://www.theguardian.com/science/...is-on-the-rise
      You'll be inviting a mushroom to your next party, I presume.

      Comment


        Today's 'Private Passions' is proving to be a triumphant vindication - were one needed - of the decision to give Michael Berkeley and his guests an extra 30 minutes. Forensic scientist Professor Sue Black's insights are sometimes almost unbearably moving, often upsetting, but also strangely comforting.

        Comment


          Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Today's 'Private Passions' is proving to be a triumphant vindication - were one needed - of the decision to give Michael Berkeley and his guests an extra 30 minutes. Forensic scientist Professor Sue Black's insights are sometimes almost unbearably moving, often upsetting, but also strangely comforting.
          Was this re-edited to make it longer because I’m sure I heard this episode some months ago ?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

            Was this re-edited to make it longer because I’m sure I heard this episode some months ago ?
            First broadcast today, according to the BBC Genome. However, I suppose it's possible that this was the first broadcast in this version, and I did wonder whether future repeats might comprise original broadcasts expanded to fill the new, longer slot.

            Comment


              Originally posted by LMcD View Post

              First broadcast today, according to the BBC Genome. However, I suppose it's possible that this was the first broadcast in this version, and I did wonder whether future repeats might comprise original broadcasts expanded to fill the new, longer slot.
              I’ve definitely heard the interview before - difficult to forget - bit cheeky saying it’s a new programme.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

                Was this re-edited to make it longer because I’m sure I heard this episode some months ago ?
                There was a forensic soil scientist on a while back... I didn't listen to this episode so I can't comment, but I did do a double check when the word "forensic" caught my eye in the listings.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

                  I’ve definitely heard the interview before - difficult to forget - bit cheeky saying it’s a new programme.
                  Good memory? She was on Desert Island Discs in 2015. DID for the non-classical, PP for the (mainly) classical lollipos.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Good memory? She was on Desert Island Discs in 2015. DID for the non-classical, PP for the (mainly) classical lollipos.
                    ... and Woman's Hour in December 2022. Or The Life Scientific in 2014. I wonder if any of her programmes have been repeated on 4extra?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by french frank View Post

                      Good memory? She was on Desert Island Discs in 2015. DID for the non-classical, PP for the (mainly) classical lollipos.
                      It’s definitely an extended repeat as I remember all the incidents and I very , very rarely listen to Radio 4.
                      An extended repeat counts as a new programme so it’s a good way of adding to your origination hours.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X