X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ucanseetheend
    • Dec 2010

Lebrecht Interview programme

I cant see a thread on any of the boards on this programme airing after Monday night Proms and as a Podcast so moderator move it if there is one.
    I've enjoyed most of them to date, the Bressler one was difficult to hear because the dear man spoke very quietly and on my MP3 I could barely hear. But the last two have been good, particularly the Lilian Hochauser , concert empresario for 60 years with her husband Victor. Loved listening to her encounters with the great musicians and Ballet stars. The quote about Svatislav Richter telling her when she was trying to program the concerts months or year in advance "I cant possibly tell you what I will play I wont know until a week before the recital". And having to help pay for David Oistrakhs body to be flown from Holland when he died.And no one wanted to perform at covent garden when it was falling down. She is quite a character and still in business today.

The Istvan Fischer chat was interesting. When Kent Opera was having its Arts council funding withdrawn and the Duke of Kent was present at a meeting with the council to try to get the funding (miniscule amount but would have kept it in business) reinstated. Anyone else have any favourite stories from this series?
    Last edited by ucanseetheend; 08-08-12, 13:17.
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
    . . . But the last two have been good, particularly the Lilian Hochauser , concert empresario for 60 years with her husband Victor. . .
    If you enjoyed that you might enjoy this: Herbert Breslin & Anne Midgette: The King & I - The uncensored tale of Luciano Pavarotti's rise to fame by his manager, friend and sometime adversary
    Over a period of 45 years Breslin (1924-2012) managed just about everybody who is/was everybody in the opera and classical music business. The book ties in nicely with N. Lebrecht's When the Music Stops (Managers, maestros and the corporate murder of classical music).
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ucanseetheend
      • Dec 2010

I read the the Lebrecht book many years ago , it was interesting, I do like to hear the spontinanity in an interview with these folk connected to the classical music business
      "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

The interview with Menahem Pressler about his life and times and the Beaux Arts Trio (with Guilet, Cohen, Greenhouse and others) was excellent.

Comment

Working...
        X