Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kuhlau
    • Jun 2024

Through the Night: Simply Strings (02/09/2012) ~ A query about Frantisek Skroup

This weekend's TTN contained many interesting works for strings, and was presented by Nicola Christie (an unknown name to me). Both programmes were very good, and I certainly recommend them.

The music of Frantisek Skroup was featured. During this morning's programme, she introduced one piece as his "Concerto in G minor" (she repeated this phrase at the end of the perforamance). On the website, the work is listed as String Quartet No.3 in G (Op.29). Is it ever acceptable to refer to a String Quartet as a Concerto? Or is there some mix up about what this piece was? It certainly sounded like a String Quartet to me, and a very fine one too!
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

perhaps she was getting it confused with the Frantisek Jiranek later in the programme which was indeed a Concerto in G minor [for bassoon]
    Last edited by mercia; 02-09-12, 14:02.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I heard some of this. Some interesting choices.

However, I'm afraid I don't like Nicola Christie's style (she was presiding in slightly simpering manner the night before too). Grumble grumble
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

However, I'm afraid I don't like Nicola Christie's style (she was presiding in slightly simpering manner the night before too). Grumble grumble
        o, I'm not sure I agree here. I've been a bit insomniac over a few nights of late, and, irritated by the World Service have reverted to Radio 3 - and have found Nicola Christie's style such an improvement on what we have sadly become accustomed to on R3 daytime that I have positively enjoyed what I heard as a crisp informative no-nonsense presentation.

But this is based on four or five samplings at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning, so I am diffident in building up too strong a defence...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          o, I'm not sure I agree here. I've been a bit insomniac over a few nights of late, and, irritated by the World Service have reverted to Radio 3 - and have found Nicola Christie's style such an improvement on what we have sadly become accustomed to on R3 daytime that I have positively enjoyed what I heard as a crisp informative no-nonsense presentation.

But this is based on four or five samplings at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning, so I am diffident in building up too strong a defence...
          It struck me (at a rather earlier hour of the night) that her voice/delivery would in fact be better suited to 'Breakfast'-time.

Let us both reserve final judgment. I think she's new, perhaps summer absences have given her her 'break'.

I just missed the rather more silken tones of Messrs Shea and Swain and Ms Sharpe.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            o, I'm not sure I agree here. I've been a bit insomniac over a few nights of late, and, irritated by the World Service have reverted to Radio 3
            What can this mean?

BBC World Service is the insomniac's friend, surely

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally Posted by vinteuil
              - and have found Nicola Christie's style such an improvement on what we have sadly become accustomed to on R3 daytime
              One does not compare vintage wine with beer (no matter how good it may be to those who like the drink).

Originally Posted by Caliban
              It struck me (at a rather earlier hour of the night) that her voice/delivery would in fact be better suited to 'Breakfast'-time
              ‘Let’s kick off with Bach’s Brandenburg concerto’ …mmmm. I tend to agree with you but as you say, let us reserve final judgment. I only hope that this is not the beginning of Radio3’s strategy to 'attract new audience'.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                It struck me (at a rather earlier hour of the night) that her voice/delivery would in fact be better suited to 'Breakfast'-time.

Let us both reserve final judgment. I think she's new, perhaps summer absences have given her her 'break'.

I just missed the rather more silken tones of Messrs Shea and Swain and Ms Sharpe.
                Agree.

I'm particularly missing Susan Sharpe of late, we're getting less and less of her on TTN
                I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

Working...
                X