Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    And I hope that they have as well, because without new listeners, and given the unending financial pressure on the BBC, Radio3 will wither and die along with the rest of us. If attracting and keeping those new listeners means some of us have to put up with a few "lollipops" and and a bit of audience interactivity, then that's a small price to pay.
    But they will get the kind of listener they target their programmes at. If they were to target them at people who relished a bit more of a challenge, a departure from the familiar, then they wouldn't need to descend to these depths.

Classic FM is there for the familiar, the homely easy listening and the 'anti-elitist'? They are repelling people who want something more intelligent, but perhaps you think there aren't such people?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Add to that a pair of countertenors sounding more like badly played sopranino recorders than trumpets and I really did feel as though I'd descended into musical hell.
      I’d have pounced upon your comment but I must say I wasn’t too impressed by this particular performance (I heard it on CD Review). Still, at least you knew the worst was over . But did I hear Stardust (or was this yesterday)? The most often played piece of music or some such? I quite like the song but only in the right place.

I do think there are some points in defending ‘too often played popular works’ as I said in my previous post (#68) but this sort of popular music really have no excuse to be on Radio3, be it Breakfast, Lunch or Supper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        Perhaps much of the criticism of the Mozart Fest also came from those who didn't bother to actually listen to it.
        Off-topic, I know, but much of the criticism of the Mozart bore was concerned with the fact that it was twelve days of Mozart & nothing else; one didn't need to listen to it to criticise it on those grounds. The style, presentation, etc (which is what a lot of people are complaining about re. Breakfast) was irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Rob ... puts on an odd emphasis here and there on sentences, as if to say Oh what a xxxx...
          He's always done that - I found it rather irritating & have never been a member of the Rob Cowan fan club.

Comment

Yes - I wish he'd pay attention to full stops! Rushing. over them and then. leaving pauses in other. odd places in the sentence is. becoming a bit of an. R3 presenter tic.

Comment

It looks as if Breakfast is trying to get all its regular warhorses played in the first full week, as this morning's programme had plenty more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                It looks as if Breakfast is trying to get all its regular warhorses played in the first full week, as this morning's programme had plenty more of them.
                it's just their regular canter around the paddock - they will be out again next week (and the next and the next ....) working from a list of the 100(or fewer) 'favourite bleeding chunks' avoids any thought on the part of the producers.
                Last edited by Frances_iom; 18-01-11, 16:55.

Comment

When I was introduced to Nietzsche's writings at university, I was told that a key notion that would help me understand what he was on about was that of the 'ewige Wiederkehr', which translates into English as 'eternal recurrence'. It describes the current 'Breakfast menu' perfectly!

Comment

Although I switched off again immediately after the 8 o'clock news because I can't abide the 'charts', I listened later during my drive to work 0913-0950 and heard Britten Sea Interludes (Hmm perhaps Britten's better than I usually think; do I like Grimes?, no, still think not); Grainger's Shepherd's Hay (Don't know this, it's jolly, oops why did that guy cut me up?); VW Serenade to Music (O this is soothing, but no, don't like all that vibrato in the voices, but there's a bit in the Orchestra sounds a bit like Job, must dig that out again - maybe should give VW's symphonies a second chance, oops time to switch off and go in....).

I suspect most people's listening to Breakfast is a bit like this - sometimes reflective, but thinking about many other things while the music's on. I guess very few listeners are able to give the programme their full attention for very long, and possibly 30 minutes is not untypical.
                    Last edited by kernelbogey; 18-01-11, 23:57. Reason: Ofcachap

Comment

Is the Vaughan Williams Ode to Music a different work from the Serenade to Music?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        Is the Vaughan Williams Ode to Music a different work from the Serenade to Music?
                        Corrected, thanks.

Comment

With the return of the Breakfast Show in such Classic FM aping form, I think these two animations deserve a second airing

PENNY G DOES NEWSNIGHT:

NEWSNIGHT: ROB COWAN REPLIES

Comment

Working...
                          X