This week's composer - the right Thread?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week's composer - the right Thread?

Well, is it?
    Anyway, as you have undoubtedly noticed, this week's Composer is Sibelius and Donald Macleod is introducing some out of the way pieces by this notable composer.
    KC the second is sorelessly missed for his erudite comments.

On Wednesday we were treated to a BBC recording of Serge Koussevitzky conducting the recently formed BBC Symphony Orchestra in 1932 of Sibelius' 7th Symphony. A great performance indeed. Did any of you Sibelius 7th expert listen to this performance?

How about considering this for a future CD with the BBC Music Magazine?

I listened and thought the performance was good. However, it's not a favourite piece, much though I admire and love many of the works of sibelius.

Comment

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
      Well, is it?
      I've been trying to think where MB posts would be best (also Music Matters, Discovering Music and one or two other things). KCII signed on but I don't think took to the new board layout.

I'm not really a symphony fan, but Sibelius is one of the exceptions. This 7th sounds like one to catch.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Not a Sibelius expert, but I thought the interpretation very fine - cohesive and intense, even if the playing was not the last word in refinement.

I would definitely buy it, but the asking price on Amazon for the Pearl issue is too much for me.

Comment

Listening currently to Thursday's Sibelius CotW and Donald has just mentioned the fascinating speculation that the Funeral Music for organ - utterly strange in its soundworld and written at very short notice and with much reluctance - might be a vestige of the lost 8th Symphony.

Unproveable maybe, but the thought of this has just made my day.

:cool2:

Comment

I found this fascinating and very moving. (from today’s programme)

Andante Festivo for strings and timpani (ad lib) (1922 / arr. 1938)
            Performers: Jean Sibelius (conductor), Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra

Comment

Working...
            X