• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Breakfast Alas no playlist at nearly 8am. Rucksack wins

I think a lot of Rob C, one of the people on R3 that I really trust. However, I've got used to checking on the daily playlist before I start the day to see whether there is anything unmissable. Today nothing listed yet.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Not really good enough or up to SMP's standard!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

The hopeful sign is that today's page still has the rubric: "NB This playlist is subject to change during transmission. The final playlist will be put up by noon on the day of broadcast." This suggests that the intention is still there to post playlists before the start of the programme.

That said, I did notice a couple of weeks ago that the practice seemed to lapse. Shortage of staff?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Well BBC Radio programmes should be unmissable without resorting to scanning the playlists, imo.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Shortage of staff?
          The publication of the playlist details online is entirely the responsibility of the producer. Perhaps it's a different producer this morning than for the last couple of weeks?
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

More a case of shortage of time, then, rather than shortage of staff? Someone has to put the information into the database - the rest is automated, I assume.

Paul - you listen 24/7, do you, or do you make some sort of selection
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

They've been a bit sluggish again recently. It's such a simple job to do too. The errors are still present though. We've recently had Mussorgsky's Polovstian Dances and Shostakovich's Popov's 1st symphony along with several such errors during that particular COTW.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>listen 24/7, do you, or do you make some sort of selection

I'm extremely selective, going for the broadcasts where unexpected delights and surprises are very likely to turn up.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

As far as Breakfast is concerned, it seems its all back to normal. Still currently (3.45pm) no playlist from this morning and the trial run of playlists in advance suspended it seems for the moment. I'm currently looking (urgently) for a new job, perhaps R3 would like to employ me to look after their website. It would then hopefully be free of the continual factual errors and be updated appropriately and promptly.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

i like surprises when I turn the radio on. RC quite often provides these. seeing a playlist in advance surely means you tend to just listen out for things you already like?

i do like to be able to refer back toplaylist afterwards though.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      seeing a playlist in advance surely means you tend to just listen out for things you already like?
                      Not necessarily. It means listening out for something you'll be interested to hear, whether you know it already or not. (And avoiding what you absolutely don't want to hear )

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        i like surprises when I turn the radio on. RC quite often provides these. seeing a playlist in advance surely means you tend to just listen out for things you already like?
                        When you've heard the Slavonic Dances for the 25th time this year you'll understand.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          When you've heard the Slavonic Dances for the 25th time this year you'll understand.
                          since I have said on here a number of times that I enjoy "breakfast", i have, and I do.

I agree, RC overdoes the SD's, and various other things. However, he does also provide surprises quite often

I can see why some people like playlists, especially for performance on 3, say, but for most of us who have a living to earn, and don't have time to listen to complete works as we munch our toast or scrape ice off the car, a playlist for "breakfast " is something it would be nice to have time for.

My gripe about "breakfast" is timing...anyone still having the first meal of the day at 10 am is very lucky..and probably part of the golden generation which got a retirement pension.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I am over 80 so I've done all the paid work I am likely to do. It is nice to have time to potter through the
                            lists of works, although I'm not part of the 'golden generation' retiring on any pension at all. However, i wouldn't change a thing as my work [in retrospect at least] was fun.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hercule
                              I have been informed on various previous threads that Rob Cowan and his presenter colleagues do not choose the music they play

p.s. anyone hoping to hear Ravel's Menuet antique at 9am has just missed it
                              It's Ravel so it'll soon be aired again. Looking carefully at what is played at Breakfast I can see some items that are probably Rob's personal choice but I reckon I good 60-70% of what is played is decided in advance by the management.

Comment

Working...
                              X