Manuel De Falla - world's unluckiest recorded composer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Manuel De Falla - world's unluckiest recorded composer?

Inspired by purchase of the old Ronald Crichton BBC monograph on Manuel de Falla I've been revisiting my recordings and trying to plug the gaps. Not as easy as it should be!

Seems to me that poor old MdeF got a lot of things hugely wrong if he wanted to keep his full output available on disc, and indeed performed in the concert hall. How so? Principally, works of dodgy genre, unusual scoring, the wrong length. EG:
    - Three-Cornered Hat, a short but not very short ballet needing orchestra plus solo soprano,
    - El Amor Brujo, another mid-length ballet, another solo singer, and best heard in the original small-orch/ large-chamber version, which it usually isn't;
    - La Vida Breve, a one-act opera with no obvious companion-piece to make a full evening, unlike similar beasts from the Italian stable. The tenor love/lust-interest gets, I believe, no aria and just one duet. But hey, when did audiences ever go to the opera just for the tenor?
    - Nights in the Gardens of Spain, a concerto-length piece in 3 mov'ts but no slow mov't (one may have got dropped). Symphonic poem? Illustrative concertante mood-music, or what? (Rhetorical Q to highlight a problem, not to seek an 'answer'!)
    - Master Peter's Puppet Show - where to start?? A chamber opera(?) about the staging of a ballet, for puppets on two different planes of 'reality', weird scoring, and a boy soprano to hold it all together as narrator. Yeah, that'll work! And once again a work of, ahem, intermediate length...
    - Harpsichord concerto. For keyboard obviously (hpschd or piano, helpfully). And orchestra? No, flute, oboe, clarinet, violin and cello. And it all lasts less than 15 mins IIRC! And where these days does one get the Landowska-style concert-grand harpsichord that the piece absolutely demands? And what else gets played on it for the rest of the concert without a gross HIPP violation??
    - Psyche. A little scena lasting less than 5 mins for soprano and 5 instruments. Any chance it'll go with the Concerto? Nope, of course not! This baby will use the flute, violin and cello, but also demands viola and harp

"I could go on but I rests me case yer honour(s)!"

Returning to the gaps in my collection, I've just ordered Master Peter (do hope it includes text and translation!), La Vida Breve (ditto), complete piano music (conveniently scored by the master for just solo piano) and some slightly weirder stuff. Anyone now care to tell me which Master Peter I should have ordered???

[Oh damn, I've forgotten to mention his final master-work, Atlantida. Very few problems with this of course]
    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 26-04-14, 15:12. Reason: Manuel de Falla not De... But can't change it in the thread-title...
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    ...Harpsichord concerto.... And where these days does one get the Landowska-style concert-grand harpsichord that the piece absolutely demands? And what else gets played on it for the rest of the concert without a gross HIPP violation??...
    Water Leigh's Concertino? Poulenc's Concert Champêtre?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      Water Leigh's Concertino?
      Good thought pab. I'll now get straight on building a full programme for the chamber music concert club I help run

Now, which artists shall I ring?

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

...Now, which artists shall I ring?
        Spoilt for choice, aren't you?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

At least his "Homenaje (Pour le Tombeau de Claude Debussy)", at about 4½ minutes slots nicely into a classical guitar recital! Britten was deeply impressed by it when he heard Julian Bream play it, around the time Bream was trying to get him to write a guitar piece - a process that led to the "Nocturnal".

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Damn, the Leigh needs a string orchestra!

So, list of works please for harpsichord, strings including a good chamber violinist and cellist, and flute, oboe, clarinet? But nothing baroque, naturally...

(Separate thread?)

EDIT On reflection, there's bound to be something suitable by Hindemith or Arnold. Worth checking Milhaud?
            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 26-04-14, 13:21.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Inspired by purchase of the old Ronald Crichton BBC monograph on De Falla I've been revisiting my recordings and trying to plug the gaps. Not as easy as it should be!

Seems to me that poor old MDF got a lot of things hugely wrong if he wanted to keep his full output available on disc, and indeed performed in the concert hall. How so? Principally, works of dodgy genre, unusual scoring, the wrong length. EG:
              - Three-Cornered Hat, a short but not very short ballet needing orchestra plus solo soprano,
              - El Amor Brujo, another mid-length ballet, another solo singer, and best heard in the original small-orch/ large-chamber version, which it usually isn't;
              - La Vida Breve, a one-act opera with no obvious companion-piece to make a full evening, unlike similar beasts from the Italian stable. The tenor love/lust-interest gets, I believe, no aria and just one duet. But hey, when did audiences ever go to the opera just for the tenor?
              - Nights in the Gardens of Spain, a concerto-length piece in 3 mov'ts but no slow mov't (one may have got dropped). Symphonic poem? Illustrative concertante mood-music, or what? (Rhetorical Q to highlight a problem, not to seek an 'answer'!)
              - Master Peter's Puppet Show - where to start?? A chamber opera(?) about the staging of a ballet, for puppets on two different planes of 'reality', weird scoring, and a boy soprano to hold it all together as narrator. Yeah, that'll work! And once again a work of, ahem, intermediate length...
              - Harpsichord concerto. For keyboard obviously (hpschd or piano, helpfully). And orchestra? No, flute, oboe, clarinet, violin and cello. And it all lasts less than 15 mins IIRC! And where these days does one get the Landowska-style concert-grand harpsichord that the piece absolutely demands? And what else gets played on it for the rest of the concert without a gross HIPP violation??
              - Psyche. A little scena lasting less than 5 mins for soprano and 5 instruments. Any chance it'll go with the Concerto? Nope, of course not! This baby will use the flute, violin and cello, but also demands viola and harp

"I could go on but I rests me case yer honour(s)!"

Returning to the gaps in my collection, I've just ordered Master Peter (do hope it includes text and translation!), La Vida Breve (ditto), complete piano music (conveniently scored by the master for just solo piano) and some slightly weirder stuff. Anyone now care to tell me which Master Peter I should have ordered???

[Oh damn, I've forgotten to mention his final master-work, Atlantida. Very few problems with this of course]
              Nice thread, LMP.
              One could make the same observation about Berlioz. Romeo et Juliette, Faust, and many other works do not fit into easily defined categories. Are they oratorios? Vocal Symphonies? Still born Operas? The imprecise nature of difficulties of programming these works worked against their popularization for decades.
              Falla had the additional problem of hailing from a country that in terms of Classical Music is considered an artistic backwater and that was torn apart by Civil War at a time when his music should have been getting duly promoted. I can't imagine that his friendships with the likes of Lorca won him any favors with the Franco Dictatorship.
              Recordings do a lot to rectify the relative undue neglect of these great works in Concert Halls.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

LMP:
                Try the Martinu concerto for harpsichord and small orchestra (flute, bassoon, piano, three violins, viola, cello, and double bass, the Naxos recording tells me).

Which Master Peter did you go for?
                I grew up with Argenta on Decca Ace of Diamonds, but it didn't make it into the complete Argenta Decca recordings released on CD for some contractual reason, apparently (this info from the Australian Decca Eloquence/Buywell folk). Memory is probably playing tricks, but I don't find the Rattle or Pedro de Freitas Branco (this latter on a 2CD EMI set I picked up in on holiday in Spain) versions I have as good as I remember the Argenta being.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  LMP:
                  Try the Martinu concerto for harpsichord and small orchestra (flute, bassoon, piano, three violins, viola, cello, and double bass, the Naxos recording tells me).

Which Master Peter did you go for?
                  I grew up with Argenta on Decca Ace of Diamonds, but it didn't make it into the complete Argenta Decca recordings released on CD for some contractual reason, apparently (this info from the Australian Decca Eloquence/Buywell folk). Memory is probably playing tricks, but I don't find the Rattle or Pedro de Freitas Branco (this latter on a 2CD EMI set I picked up in on holiday in Spain) versions I have as good as I remember the Argenta being.
                  AAARGH, so now we need a bassoon!

Seriously though guys, this all serves to highlight the problems of programming such works. My own society for example would never get beyond 10 performers, sadly.

Pulcinella: this is my ordered Master Peter (etc) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falla-Brujo-...ref=sr_1_3?s=m
                  Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 26-04-14, 14:45. Reason: Getting other poster's name right!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    torn apart by Civil War at a time when his music should have been getting duly promoted. I can't imagine that his friendships with the likes of Lorca won him any favors with the Franco Dictatorship.
                    Possibly not rfg, he left for Argentina in 1939 in response to an invitation from the Institución Cultural Española de Buenos Aires and stayed there, but it appears he would have been welcomed back at any time. His body was conveyed back to Spain on a Spanish warship. But he was deeply traumatised by the events he witnessed in Granada - at the start of the war he (in the words of Lorca's biographer Ian Gibson) "shut himself up in his carmen [house with walled garden] below the Alhambra. There he learnt of the killings that were taking place in the town; indeed he could hardly fail to hear the sinister firing from the nearby cemetery in the early hours of every morning." He tried to find Lorca to rescue him when he heard he had been arrested, but it was too late.
                    Last edited by Guest; 26-04-14, 14:29. Reason: further research! See Burnett James, MdeF and the Spanish Musical Renaisssance

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

PEDANTS' CORNER - apologies to Richard Tarleton and other Spanish speakers for my De Fallas and MDFs! Should have checked<DOHICON> Now corrected where I can.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

¡de nada!

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

...... well Nights in the Gardens has been prom-programmed 29 times ........ not sure where that gets us ..... just saying ...

I think I'm missing the point - we're not saying that Falla is never played - just that he didn't write much
                          Last edited by mercia; 26-04-14, 16:23.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            ...... well Nights in the Gardens has been prom-programmed 29 times ........ not sure where that gets us ..... just saying ...
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/search/people/falla
                            Would "a programme concerto" be objectionable? As in "a programme symphony"?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              One could make the same observation about Berlioz. Romeo et Juliette, Faust, and many other works do not fit into easily defined categories. Are they oratorios? Vocal Symphonies? Still born Operas? The imprecise nature of difficulties of programming these works worked against their popularization for decades.
                              For me it wasn't too difficult to work my way into Berlioz because there's a good bit that is very standard repertoire, even if there is as you say a big box of 'funny stuff'. Le carnival Romain was on a Popular Overtures LP in my dad's smallish classical collection, and I didn't have to wait long to discover the Fantastic Symphony on Radio 3. [Thinking back, I seem to recall that Harold in Italy was a pretty frequent visitor too, which it wouldn't be today]

But Falla's 'Greatest Hits' are really just a few dances from the ballets and maybe the 7 Popular Spanish Songs, whether sung or in instrumental transcriptions. So if a classical-music newbie asks you "Which are Falla's really big works?", it's a tricky answer. Maybe resort to the good old Professor Joad one, "Well, it depends what you mean by BIG..."
                              Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 26-04-14, 16:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X