X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Audiophile Forum

Not for the faint hearted!! In researching a posting on another thread I came across this forum for audio enthusiasts. It seems to have regular posters from major audio firms [mainly if not all USA] and also has some very good and interesting threads and posts in it. What's also good is that it uses the same software as this forum and so is easy to move around!!

Here's the link to one page of posts that discuss analogue vs digital sound [yes that old chestnut] but the simple experiment described and the results reported are worth looking at [if you like that sort of thing] and are quite telling. It seems that the experts were not able consistently to tell the difference between an analogue and digital version of the same thing. Another interesting feature is the choice of a 1959 Kenneth Wilkinson Kingsway Hall Decca [for RCA] recording of some classical orchestral music as a representative "audiophile" example!!

See what you think ...if you're interested that is, if you have good broadband you can have a vicarious chance to do the experiment yourself by downloading all the examples [as .wav files] they heard with the obvious caveat which the guy who set it all up is very clear about:

The flaw is that he seems to tell you the answers before you try the samples! so you can cheat.
  • Mahlerei

Gordon

Looks interesting. Trouble is, so many audiophile forums are terribly toxic places so I tend to avoid them these days

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      Gordon

Looks interesting. Trouble is, so many audiophile forums are terribly toxic places so I tend to avoid them these days
      Not to mention toxic to the wallet if you get too enthusiastic!! Also they are places where people of a delicate mental state live too.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
        Gordon

A very good description!

Comment

• remdataram
          • Mar 2011

Something I've always found unique to HiFi and Audiophiles is how we can become dissatisfied with our sound reproduction just by reading someone's words.

I gave up listening to HiFi and started listening to music.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Precisely. One forum that comes to mind features long-running battles between two sets of entrenched posters who turn each other into toast on a daily basis. Very little about the music and lots about half-baked theories and strange loyalties. One such poster covers the windows of her listening room with tinfoil, for heaven's sake. Soooo depressing. PJPJ knows whereof I speak

Comment

• remdataram
              • Mar 2011

I trust she wears thick jumpers when she listens, or does she wear a foil outfit to 'sharpen' the sound?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

and there's as much woo as at a homeopathic convention
                like this !
                Analogue Seduction are stockists of the finest audio equipment from amplifiers, AV processors, CD Players, DAC's, headphones, network streamers and loudspeakers. Demonstrations are available from our Cambridgeshire showroom

eeeer £185 worth of faith then ! (someone is now going to appear and tell me that if i orientate my amp in line with the obvious ley energy that passes thought the house it will sound less "muddy"..................as would judicious application of a cotton bud !)

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Some people may remember Peter Belt...

Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    and there's as much woo as at a homeopathic convention
                    like this !
                    Analogue Seduction are stockists of the finest audio equipment from amplifiers, AV processors, CD Players, DAC's, headphones, network streamers and loudspeakers. Demonstrations are available from our Cambridgeshire showroom

eeeer £185 worth of faith then ! (someone is now going to appear and tell me that if i orientate my amp in line with the obvious ley energy that passes thought the house it will sound less "muddy"..................as would judicious application of a cotton bud !)
                    If you orientate your amp in line with the obvious ley energy that passes thought the house it will sound less "muddy"........ ..... and have you heard of shakti stones?

No, I haven't invested.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Wonderful stuff
                      I particularly like
                      "Black really has a special sound on its own: that's the sound of LP. The BAD LP, played on BAD equipment. Closed miked, no treble, no air, no life."

Pure Tufnel ("how much more black can you get ?")

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

do they use Mclaughlin biomorphic resonance energy by any chance ?

Comment

• remdataram
                          • Mar 2011

Wow! I was sure I was getting degradation via my USB cable, only £185 too!

I had the room energies checked and had to rotate my speakers 180 degrees. I get a much 'warmer' sound now that it reflects off the radiators (cooking foil covered). My therapist also suggested I wear a rubber suit to minimise sound reflecting off me.....

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                            I get a much 'warmer' sound now that it reflects off the radiators (cooking foil covered).
                            Have you noticed how Tesco foil has a better transient attack than Sainsburys? I wonder if gold foil would give that bit more, well, golden glow to the sound?

My therapist also suggested I wear a rubber suit to minimise sound reflecting off me.....
                            Well what you and your therapist get up to is no business of mine but I'd be suspicious of her intentions if I were you. Has she suggested smearing you with chocolate yet? Darkens the sound I find. Cadbury's has lost it silky top after the Kraft takeover of course and perhaps Rowntrees is now best buy? Avoid that American Hershey stuff, it's brash and OTT.

Seriously though folks [Why!!?] it's as well that these audiophile people have something to keep them indoors otherwise they'd be out and about on the streets causing who knows what mayhem. Come to think of it, same goes for message boards too!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

A friend of mine who designs excellent valve amplifiers has a fellow enthusiast who we called Blue Tack. He believed that small blobs of blue tack placed in various spots in the room seriously improved the sound, and of course you must never have a telephone anywhere nearby as it ruins the acoustic. Naturally, he used a green ink pen to mark the inside spindle of all his CDs, although of course he did not approve of them!
                              Some of my BBC colleagues back in the 1980s wrote to a number of exotic cable manufacturers inviting them to take part in a double blind test. They all refused.

Comment

Working...
                              X