X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

HQCDs?

I was just browsing looking to see if Simon Rattle's Mahler 2 is still available at lowish prices (it is), and I came across this which definitely is not cheap - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...536098&sr=1-10

The only difference seems to be that the plastic is different - and maybe it's made somewhere else - Japan perhaps. Does anyone really believe that these things make an audible or other practical difference?

In the meantime, despite comments about Rattle's Mahler on BAL, does anyone else think this or others in Rattle's Maher BPO series are worth having? From what I've heard some sound pretty good to me - though just listened to Tennstedt's live LPO version of the Resurrection this morning - very good indeed. Not sure if Rattle can match that.
  • Mahlerei

Hmm, sounds like those ridiculously expensive SHM discs from Japan. The USP seems to be that the super hard discs do sound better than conventional ones. Not heard one, so can't comment. Bit sceptical though.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I feel sure they are just the thing, as long as you remember to wipe them radially with cold-pressed virgin snake oil prior to playing them.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Dave 2002,
        I understand that this is a new material grown from stem cells on a plastic former shaped like a CD. Unfortunately it can only be used for recording Mahler symphonies and self-destructs after repeated playings to make room for the next perfect performance that comes off the production line.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

And it only sounds its best when Mars is on the cusp of Saturn, with Mercury in the ascendant.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
          X