X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

ECM label ... strangeness ... re: pressing on latest Keith Jarrett CD

When 'ripping' Keith Jarrett's Creation CD this display appeared.

Since sonic-quality has always been a much-heralded hallmark of this label is pressing now 'cheaper-by-the-dozen' in Asia?

[IMG][/IMG][I]
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

To me, it looks as though you got the meta data in an Asian language. The sonics shouldn't be compromised. Most programs such as iTunes will allow you to edit the metadata. Annoying, but not fatal

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Or is it just that the CD was destined for the Japanese market?

A friend of mine had a similar experience with an Alison Balsam Paris CD purchased at one of her gigs. I bought (a different copy of) the same CD at the gig, but was totally oblivious as I largely play CDs on a CD player, not a computer.

OG

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Most CDs meta is contained in an on line data base. The ripping device gets the meta data from the net. Usually the data is supplied in a few different languages. The language function on the ripper is to be preprogrammed for user preference.
        Most people will use a PC as the ripper and the language preferences are preset in the control panel of the PC. We don't know what the OP uses as a ripper, so my guess is that his language settings may be at fault, or his ripper may not recognize the English metatag. Or someone at ECM never supplied an English metatag. It should not affect the sound

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

Thanks, Richard for helping to make some sense for me of this off-the-wall oddity.

Inasmuch as data in my previous rips - going back to the days of Windows Vista (Vista works for me!) - always generic - perhaps 'someone at ECM never supplied an English metatag'. Indeed.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by charles t View Post
            Thanks, Richard for helping to make some sense for me of this off-the-wall oddity.

Inasmuch as data in my previous rips - going back to the days of Windows Vista (Vista works for me!) - always generic - perhaps 'someone at ECM never supplied an English metatag'. Indeed.
            I haven't ripped with Windows for years. Editing the medadata was much harder than in itunes. I think Bill Gates has to personally approve each change.

Comment

Working...
            X