Clear All

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Any good ?
    Fairly similar to the LSO recording

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Fairly similar to the LSO recording
      The Concertgebeouw recording is available on youTube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Pity the Eloquence set doesn't also include his DECCA recording with the VPO, though.)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Pity the Eloquence set doesn't also include his DECCA recording with the VPO, though.)
        Thought it was the VPO, didn't know there was an LSO recording. The VPO recordings of 3 and 6 are probably the least well engineered, certainly were on LP.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Is that the recording on the Decca 'Double-Decca' set, still earlier on their 'world of classics' imprint with a close-up full-sleeve photo of statue work of the Arc de Triomphe?' on the LP?

PS the Eloquence box set does seem a tad expensive..... ?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            The VPO recordings of 3 and 6 are probably the least well engineered, certainly were on LP.
            The Eroica was recorded in 1957 in, I assume, the Sofiensaal. While the strings sound a bit dry in comparison with the LSO Kingsway Hall recordings, it has scrubbed up pretty well on the remastered CD. Very clear - with the strings, it makes it sound almost HIPP-like at times. The Pastoral was recorded a year later, with John Culshaw as producer and James Brown (stereo) and Gordon Parry (mono) as engineers. The result is a bit warmer than the Eroica, although again not up to Kingsway Hall standards.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
              Is that the recording on the Decca 'Double-Decca' set, still earlier on their 'world of classics' imprint with a close-up full-sleeve photo of statue work of the Arc de Triomphe?' on the LP?
              The very one, visnick - my first recording of the work at around age thirteen or so. (Bought, IIRC, from a second-hand shop for about 10p.)

PS the Eloquence box set does seem a tad expensive..... ?
              Yes - in these days of CDs costing pennies, it can come as a shock when smaller companies have to charge proper prices for their releases.

Comment

Thought it was the VPO, didn't know there was an LSO recording.
                Ah! I may have been led astray by rfg's comment in #16.

Comment

Thought it was the VPO, didn't know there was an LSO recording. The VPO recordings of 3 and 6 are probably the least well engineered, certainly were on LP.
                  You might be right. Was his Beethoven cycle divided between the LSO and the VPO?

Comment

I understood that all the Deeca 1-8 were included and that the Cgebouw Eroica is a bonus

Comment

Looks to be going to retail at about £23-25 . Not expensive albeit nowhere near as cheap as the Szell for example .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Looks to be going to retail at about £23-25 . Not expensive albeit nowhere near as cheap as the Szell for example .
                        To me, that sounds quite expensive - by today's standards.....

Comment

Working...
                        X