• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Historic Nielsen and Sibelius

I really enjoyed the segment this morning with Andrew Mellor about the above - the Nielsen discussion, if anything, more than the Sibelius.

The highlight for me (and, he said, of the 30 CD set): the extract from the Nielsen 4th under Launy Grøndahl with the Danish State Radio Symphony Orchestra, which sounded so right and brilliantly recorded for 1951.

I liked some of Andrew Mellor's turns of phrase - e.g. "Jensen had what today's Nielsen police are looking for" ...also the expression "fissile energy" - and the way he deftly slotted in what I take to be his personal 'top three' among modern Nielsen symphony cycles: Schønwandt, Oramo, Chung... (studiously avoiding AMcG's reference to the Gilbert cycle...).
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I really enjoyed the segment this morning with Andrew Mellor about the above - the Nielsen discussion, if anything, more than the Sibelius.

The highlight for me (and, he said, of the 30 CD set): the extract from the Nielsen 4th under Launy Grøndahl with the Danish State Radio Symphony Orchestra, which sounded so right and brilliantly recorded for 1951.

I liked some of Andrew Mellor's turns of phrase - e.g. "Jensen had what today's Nielsen police are looking for" ...also the expression "fissile energy" - and the way he deftly slotted in what I take to be his personal 'top three' among modern Nielsen symphony cycles: Schønwandt, Oramo, Chung... (studiously avoiding AMcG's reference to the Gilbert cycle...).
    Sounds a lot more fun than Xmas shopping.
    Good heads up,must give this a listen.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

See my post 1208 in the 'New Releases' thread. Highly recommended.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        avoiding AMcG's reference to the Gilbert cycle...).
        One way of getting to work, I suppose!

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

I've had the Sibelius box in my amazon tray for a few weeks now but still haven't pressed. I liked the bits I heard, especially the Marian Anderson song, but the reviewers said it was 'inessential'.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            I've had the Sibelius box in my amazon tray for a few weeks now but still haven't pressed. I liked the bits I heard, especially the Marian Anderson song, but the reviewers said it was 'inessential'.
            Is this the Warner/EMI set with the Kajanus doing 1 2 3 & 5 etc. If so the reviewers are wrong - it's good!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Is this the Warner/EMI set with the Kajanus doing 1 2 3 & 5 etc. If so the reviewers are wrong - it's good!

If I understood correctly, the "inessential" was used in contrast to the Nielsen set, where all the recordings are made generally available on CD for the first time (therefore "essential" to all Nielsen enthusiasts) whereas most of the Sibelius box is readily available elsewhere (the NAXOS transfers of the Kajanus recordings was specified) so "inessential" from that point of view.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Tevot
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Sounds a lot more fun than Xmas shopping.
                Good heads up,must give this a listen.

In agreement with TS, Caliban. Thanks for posting

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• AmpH
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  See my post 1208 in the 'New Releases' thread. Highly recommended.
                  My copy is on the way.

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    I enjoyed the feature and the high quality of the criticism (it's a rare privilege to be able to listen to 'real' critics for a change); and, actually, some of the negative points made me want to hear the set - particularly Koussevitsky's 'episodic' 7th Symphony. Hearing something done' wrong' can often give you an interesting new perspective on a work.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I enjoyed the feature and the high quality of the criticism (it's a rare privilege to be able to listen to 'real' critics for a change); and, actually, some of the negative points made me want to hear the set - particularly Koussevitsky's 'episodic' 7th Symphony. Hearing something done' wrong' can often give you an interesting new perspective on a work.
                      I agree with you -some things are magnificent in their waywardness, provided they don't hurt the ears - vocal items are more likely to do this.

Comment

• seabright
                        • Jan 2013

I have the Koussevitzky / BBCSO / Sibelius 7th on a single Naxos CD where it is coupled with two other "first recordings": Stokowski and his Philadelphians in the Sibelius 4th (1932) and Schneevoigt and the Finnish National Orchestra in No. 6 ...

Conveniently buy, stream or download at Naxos anytime. Add 8.111399 from Naxos Historical to your classical music collection today.

I've no idea why the Koussevitzky was dismissed in CD Review but I found it a terrific performance. Anyway, there are plenty of alternative opinions on the internet, so one doesn't have to take as gospel those uttered into a microphone by a BBC employee and A.N. Other. For example, John Quinn's review on Music-Web International of an earlier all-Koussevitzky Sibelius CD, uses words like "most remarkable" to describe the 7th and adds: "It’s a tremendous performance and its reputation amongst collectors as a classic Sibelius reading is amply justified." So there, CDR! ...

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.co...#ixzz3tcXq8gKr

Comment

Working...
                        X