Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After buying a secondhand copy I would add Haitink’s Concertgebouw Brahms 4 - a particularly fine Scherzo.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      After buying a secondhand copy I would add Haitink’s Concertgebouw Brahms 4 - a particularly fine Scherzo.
      I played that the other night. No-one builds up the tension to the final great climax quite like Haitink does. His very last performance with the Concertgebouw, in January 2019, was of this very symphony and it can be heard on the Dutch Radio 4 website here: https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/0...zart-en-brahms
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I played that the other night. No-one builds up the tension to the final great climax quite like Haitink does. His very last performance with the Concertgebouw, in January 2019, was of this very symphony and it can be heard on the Dutch Radio 4 website here: https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/0...zart-en-brahms
        His Brahms now generally download only like so many recordings nowadays .

I have been able get second hand copies of his Concertgebouw Brahms cycle in the Silver Line Philips reissues cheaply . The First is outstanding to my ears. I also was very impressed by the Second . Not quite so taken with his account of the Third - it’s good but not quite the rush of Walter ,Boult live in ICA Classics or Furtwangler.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          His Brahms now generally download only like so many recordings nowadays .

I have been able get second hand copies of his Concertgebouw Brahms cycle in the Silver Line Philips reissues cheaply . The First is outstanding to my ears. I also was very impressed by the Second . Not quite so taken with his account of the Third - it’s good but not quite the rush of Walter ,Boult live in ICA Classics or Furtwangler.
          Have you heard any of the Boston Brahms cycle?

Comment

I will always have a soft spot for his Mahler 4 with Elly Ameling - my first ever CD purchase, bought the same day as my first CD player.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I will always have a soft spot for his Mahler 4 with Elly Ameling - my first ever CD purchase, bought the same day as my first CD player.
              Elly Ameling singing Mozart was one of my first CDs .

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Have you heard any of the Boston Brahms cycle?
                No I don't know those .

I have completed my LSO Live Haitink Beethoven cycle - I had2, 4,6,7 and 8 . All of those are good but I think his LSO 1st and 5th are belters especially the latter - a particularly good scherzo and finale.

Looking forward to the Eroica and Choral.

Comment

Working...
                X